2020 Elk Call setup

Matt R.

FNG
TBD. Have a few diaphragms on order.

I liked the pink AMP call but it scraped up the side of my mouth pretty good just from the few minutes I was trying it at the house yesterday...

Am I just soft or is that expected with the metal caps?

bED7V0Ch.jpg
Never had that problem with Phelps and metal gag guard. Used for several years. Metal looks to be stuck out a little more than normal

bozeman

WKR
Anybody have any recommendations for a small palette diaphragm call? I have a raised/narrow palette and actually have better luck with youth model turkey calls......looking for something like that for elk.....will be a beginner on the elk, so open to options.....thanks!

0311dmd

FNG
Anybody have any recommendations for a small palette diaphragm call? I have a raised/narrow palette and actually have better luck with youth model turkey calls......looking for something like that for elk.....will be a beginner on the elk, so open to options.....thanks!
I trimmed some of mine to get proper sound out of them. Don’t be afraid to get the scissors.

Attachments

• DA4D4F20-3C2C-4D2D-8123-BFAAF1D74993.jpeg
    DA4D4F20-3C2C-4D2D-8123-BFAAF1D74993.jpeg
    316.8 KB · Views: 42

JRoot10

FNG
I just bought the hat clips for diaphragm calls on Camofire today. They seem useful. Maybe it will keep me from dropping my calls in the mud as much.

Sawbucks

FNG
What is a reasonable price to pay for a set up? I am looking to Elk hunt this year for the first time and need some gear, tryINC to set a budget.

BPollard

Lil-Rokslider
Like most people digging through the Rokslide elk forums, I am itching to get into the elk woods for 2020. With all the craziness going on right now, I am more than ready to chase some bugles.

I am sticking with the Phelps Unleashed full size bugle tube and Phelps reeds. My favorites are pink and white. They are easy to use and generate plenty of volume.

I really like the Phelps E-Z Estrus external call. I like the build quality as well as the sound.

In the "Why didn't I think of that" category I picked up a handy gadget called "The Bugle Mule” from allelk.coM. The Bugle Mule wraps around your bugle tube and has three (or two depending on model) neoprene sleeves to hold your reeds. A nylon cover for the reeds pockets has a silent magnetic closure. The pockets also have spacer mesh, so the reeds dry out. Overall, it is a really simple and clever idea to keep your reeds with your tube at all times.

814a0b73e51d33f29a8636751a49d423.jpg

992abb4821690b8daa29fb0c21a4fb8a.jpg

What is your elk calling setup for 2020?
That’s sweet!

bozeman

WKR
Get both....I’ve used a mouth call for turkeys for over 20 years and the elk mouth call is a different beast to me..........I bought a mouth call and 2 external double reed calls. Working on them both each week!

tjihrig

FNG
These little reed holders are a game changer for me.

Oh that’s just slicker than @$&#.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burkkus

FNG
I have an Elknut Chuckler and a variety of palate plate diaphragm calls from Rocky Mountain.

mahons24

FNG
I have a Primos Terminator but want to get a mouth call. Not sure what is a good mouth call to start with?