2020 elk success thread, post them up!

arri1942

Lil-Rokslider
My son's first Elk. A great day and great memories.
ad875fdf5e47a18da26b8675edb080b6.jpg

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Got my first elk in my first elk hunting season! I was in Colorado unit 50, 2nd rifle season, Tikka T3X superlight and Burris Veracity 5-25x50. Got the Corey Jacobson elk101 program, and was helpful having that foundational information. My buddy came along, who has never hunted big game before either, and we had a blast. He had no tag, and was on the fence about diving into a new hobby. Now he is hooked and planning our hunt together for next year.
Not a huge bull, has 2 tines broke off on one side, but 4x4's fill the freezer all the same! Shoutout to the people in classifieds that helped me big time, I bought a used MysteryRanch Metcalf, used Vortex Razor 10x42s, and some used FirstLite realtree gear.

Attachments

• IMG_3024.jpg
    IMG_3024.jpg
    541 KB · Views: 96

Dahide

FNG
After a 6 day elk hunt and getting into them every day but could get a clean shot!

Attachments

• 09D84C9A-5BA4-4A52-AF5A-DCD42FFA9CE3.jpeg
    09D84C9A-5BA4-4A52-AF5A-DCD42FFA9CE3.jpeg
    357.7 KB · Views: 60
Wasn't my tag but it was my first bull elk hunt. "Success" in this case did not, unfortunately, result in shooting an elk. But I really enjoyed it and had a great time with a good hunting partner. IMG_1341 (1).png

What’s the story!?
My father-in-law's tag in Nevada. His second bull elk tag - which is rare around here. We got up on a ridge at daylight and saw nothing. There was a lot of side-by-side and truck traffic on the roads. He decided we should down to check for fresh tracks near a patch of trees because he had seen a bull there two days before. We found fresh tracks and started following them. I didn't think anything of it because I've never successfully hunted deer or elk in the trees. Soon enough I hear a big crash maybe 60 yards off and this bull takes off over the next ridge. We follow it up and find ourselves looking across another small, steep drainage with aspens in the middle. I gave him some ranges and we split up so I could go down into the trees and walk up. I smelled the elk first and then saw a group of cows and a spike. I walked up through the middle of the aspen patch and soon enough saw this elk coming towards me from the ridge to see what I was - he got within about 130 yards. I didn't know why my my father-in-law wasn't shooting, so I went to check on him. It turns out the trees were full of elk and I scared out 15 or more. The distance and the wind caused him not to pull the trigger.
Later in the day we came back through the area and I started to glass the next few drainages from where we saw this bull, and he had only gone one over and laid down in the aspens with ~6 cows. We headed up a canyon behind them looking for other bulls and then decided to go back and make a play for him. Got within my comfortable range and the bull didn't know we were there, but too far for my father-in-law. We tried another drive and I spooked him, but he never stopped running and we ended up heading back to the truck in the rain. The cows he was with cooperated nicely with the plan, but he went the other way. I now know why my father-in-law never misses, he is very selective about his shots. It was a good time and I always enjoy hunting with him.