2020 Fat Guy Thread

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
In March I was 196#. I have gotten where I'm consistently below 190#, but since starting my master's degree in May I have not dropped any more. Goal is 180 lb and to drop from a 33 inch waist to a 30. That would put me at the weight I was in the Navy when I had a 28 inch waist. I will never be that fit again, just don't have the time.

I'm impressed with your performance. You have come a long way. Not many people achieve that.

Reactions: LLB
Last fall for my first elk hunt I went from 286 to 271.

I kept the weight off until we went on a cruise over Christmas. I started the new year at 282 lbs. Literally the first day back for exercising I aggravated a nerve issue I have from college football and had to see a pain doctor needing an epidural but couldn't get it because my insurance required PT and by then they were only doing telemedicine and I needed muscle manipulation and stimulation. Instead he gave me a prescription of Prednisone and a muscle relaxant and I ballooned up to 296lbs on April 27th the heaviest I have ever been! Since then I have felt better and was able to start about 5 weeks ago backpack cardio 2-3 days a week between 2-4 miles plus a kettlebell work out mixed in with yoga and exercises that I was given for herniating 6 discs 3 years ago falling through steps in a construction accident. I was 250 when I had the construction accident in PT for 7 months and nearly in tears walking the dogs for the next year.

I was down to 283 on July 16. I slipped this weekend after my wife put down her foot that I wasn't going elk hunting this fall between the virus and my injury issues that I have been dealing with after having to go back on the prednisone again last week. We had dinner out and I had a 12 pack of beer after not having any for the last month. I can feel the difference after eating so clean. Gonna hit it again with 3 miles of backpack cardio before work with a 40 pound pack and follow that up after work with the kettlebells.

I really don't care what I weigh but want my body fat between 10-14% and a resting heart rate sub 60bpm. If I get to that range I will be somewhere between 215 and 225 pounds.

Last edited:
A while back I was trying to shred some fat. I went to a nutritionist to get some advice since I was working out like crazy already. The nutritionist asked me how old I was and how tall I was and what types of exercise routines I did and I answered her.

She then asked, "What is your ideal weight?" Being 5'6" I told her "265 Pounds!" She looked at me with amazement and repeated it, "265 POUNDS?!?!" I said, "Yes, if I can be 265 pounds with 6% body fat why not?" She changed her question to "What is your goal?"

The point I believe is that the number doesn't really matter in the end. You could put on muscle which weighs more than fat and not lose an exponential number of pounds. Perhaps we should be thinking in terms of if your clothing isn't as tight as it was before or just how you look in the mirror while shirtless (Or naked if that's your thing). Or even with physical conditioning and the measurement of how it is easier to do something that was hard before like running, swimming, hiking, bicycling, etc.

But I know...I am the same way. I will jump on that scale and see if I went down, went up or am the same as yesterday. Sometimes it is a small victory for me and sometimes I kick myself in the behind if the scale goes up. But I remind myself, "How I look and how I perform is a better measurement of my body and physical fitness than the scale.

Not trying to rain on your parade, it is awesome you are losing weight and I hope you keep it up. Just giving another way of looking at things.

PS. Here are my numbers:

July 2019 Weight: 230

October 2019 Weight: 210

July 2020 Weight: 212

Goal: To lose more fat, gain more muscle and be able to hike up the mountain with a full pack and look good doing it! :LOL:

MajorAR

Lil-Rokslider
There are some really impressive stories in this thread. VERY MOTIVATING!

I weighed in at 250Lbs on 15 March, and I just weighed this morning at 231.2Lbs. Watching my diet and running 4 - 5 miles a day, 5 days a week. I cut my alcohol intake as well. Goal weight is 220lbs by 1 Sept. 5'11" tall.

hey fellas, i was a poster on this thread in 2018 and maybe a little in 2019. i'm 19 days out from my first and probably only sheep hunt, so excited i can hardly stand it. Really motivating to see the stories on this thread. I'm 51, 6-2, and was fat out of shape sedentary tub of goo at 268 lbs when i started this journey two years ago. I'm still far from where i was in my 20s, but have come a long way and am about as ready as i'm going to be for this hunt. Now at 230 lbs. went from 45.5 inch waist - around the belly- to 38 inch. which according to the online calculator i use puts me around 16% bodyfat, down from around 30% or more in August of 2018. key for me was giving myself a goal- which my lovely wife fully supported- i've learned i have to have a goal to keep me focused. Other than that, it was monitoring caloric intake on an app, weightlifting, and rucking that got me here.
Good luck to all the "fat guys" keep it going!

hey fellas, i was a poster on this thread in 2018 and maybe a little in 2019. i'm 19 days out from my first and probably only sheep hunt, so excited i can hardly stand it. Really motivating to see the stories on this thread. I'm 51, 6-2, and was fat out of shape sedentary tub of goo at 268 lbs when i started this journey two years ago. I'm still far from where i was in my 20s, but have come a long way and am about as ready as i'm going to be for this hunt. Now at 230 lbs. went from 45.5 inch waist - around the belly- to 38 inch. which according to the online calculator i use puts me around 16% bodyfat, down from around 30% or more in August of 2018. key for me was giving myself a goal- which my lovely wife fully supported- i've learned i have to have a goal to keep me focused. Other than that, it was monitoring caloric intake on an app, weightlifting, and rucking that got me here.
Good luck to all the "fat guys" keep it going!
Cocngratulations on your journey and to everyone else working hard to get to a healthy point. I to am working on getting into better shape and better health. Two years ago, I was at 320, now I am down to 270 and wearing 42 inch pants and all my clothes are fitting better.

jeg

FNG
I started at 230 this spring and down to 217 this morning hope to be close to 200 by September for a AK moose hunt. Scale hasn't moved much over the last couple days but my pants are loose and I feel stronger while lifting usually wear a 38" pant and now 36's fit!! Trying to cut out carbs and focus on protein intake. Loosely following the bigger leaner stronger program and mixing in biking, and hiking with 40lb pack on but it varies from week to week depending on work/life. I also have been on the MTN Ops conquer weight loss program the last month which I think has helped. I'm 51 & 5'11".

One thing that has helped my wife and I is using an app like Myfitness pal to record what we are eating and drinking. It really helps to be conscious of what you are putting into your body. You can adjust carbs, fats and proteins to what ever % you want. Been doing this for two weeks now and what a difference in what I am eating and how much.

bootheeltechy

Lil-Rokslider
One thing that has helped my wife and I is using an app like Myfitness pal to record what we are eating and drinking. It really helps to be conscious of what you are putting into your body. You can adjust carbs, fats and proteins to what ever % you want. Been doing this for two weeks now and what a difference in what I am eating and how much.
Wife and I started using this app couple weeks ago ourselves! Great tool for keeping up with your intake. Becomes a game almost!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
L

LLB

Lil-Rokslider
+1 on the Myfitness Pal app. I started using it in October last year when I started my weight loss. Also have a Garmin watch to record my steps/exercise. I use both every day. They definitely helped me a lot.

+1 on the Myfitness Pal app. I started using it in October last year when I started my weight loss. Also have a Garmin watch to record my steps/exercise. I use both every day. They definitely helped me a lot.
Wearing an older Fitbit surge. As long as it works, I have hunting stuff to spend my money on.

Reactions: LLB
OP
L

LLB

Lil-Rokslider
220 lbs this week. Only down 1 lb but I'll take it 😁. Changing up my exercise routine this week. I feel my diet is good, I've cleaned it up pretty good. My early weight loss has slowed down to 1 to 2 lbs a week but still moving in the right direction.