2020 First Lite

ChrisS

WKR
Their first generation kanabs were notorious for blowing out in the crotch and along the seams. It's the reason they started adding stretch panels after enough complaints and returns. Pure merino isn't durable enough for an outer layer and it's the reason you are seeing blends now. Their first generation red desert boxers you would be lucky to get one ten day hunt out of them. They've come a long way, but fool me once....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I have the thick thigh syndrome as well and my kanab 2.0s and obsidians wore out at far less than 100 days. The stitching has been fine, but the inner merino fabric just balls up and wears out quick with any kind of abrasion when hiking. I've replaced the crotch in one pair with a stouter stretch fabric and I'm going to do the same this year with the obsidians. But those are the last pairs of FL pants I'm buying.

Meridian90

Lil-Rokslider
I have the thick thigh syndrome as well and my kanab 2.0s and obsidians wore out at far less than 100 days. The stitching has been fine, but the inner merino fabric just balls up and wears out quick with any kind of abrasion when hiking. I've replaced the crotch in one pair with a stouter stretch fabric and I'm going to do the same this year with the obsidians. But those are the last pairs of FL pants I'm buying.

What do you intend to purchase instead? I'm willing to try other stuff, was just commenting on my (maybe luck) with First Lite pants thus far. The obsidians are simply the most comfortable pair of pants I own period, so I would have a hard time giving them up, even at 170 a pair.

Of the 100+ days afield, I would estimate 25% were stand hunts. The others varied. I did get pilling early but was able to remove it with one of those pilling removal tools. After that it was just wear and tear that eventually wore out. I could probably replace with a new fabric in the crotch and keep going, as the rest of em are in good shape. FWIW I always had protection on the lower part of them, whether that be high boots or gaiters to prevent the obsidians from snagging something that would puncture the wool.

ChrisS

WKR
What do you intend to purchase instead? I'm willing to try other stuff, was just commenting on my (maybe luck) with First Lite pants thus far. The obsidians are simply the most comfortable pair of pants I own period, so I would have a hard time giving them up, even at 170 a pair.

Of the 100+ days afield, I would estimate 25% were stand hunts. The others varied. I did get pilling early but was able to remove it with one of those pilling removal tools. After that it was just wear and tear that eventually wore out. I could probably replace with a new fabric in the crotch and keep going, as the rest of em are in good shape. FWIW I always had protection on the lower part of them, whether that be high boots or gaiters to prevent the obsidians from snagging something that would puncture the wool.
I'm probably switching back to kuiu attacks. I do really like the fit for the first lite pants, but for the cost, they have crap durability. I usually don't wear them stand hunting. My whitetail hunting is in the Adirondacks and most days it's 5-7 miles a day, climbing over deadfall and rocks, and through beech whips. It's also a bit later in the season and the attacks are noticeably thicker and a touch warmer when I stop moving. I'm thinking about getting some kuiu axis pants, too.

Life_Feeds_On_Life

Lil-Rokslider
I'm probably switching back to kuiu attacks. I do really like the fit for the first lite pants, but for the cost, they have crap durability. I usually don't wear them stand hunting. My whitetail hunting is in the Adirondacks and most days it's 5-7 miles a day, climbing over deadfall and rocks, and through beech whips. It's also a bit later in the season and the attacks are noticeably thicker and a touch warmer when I stop moving. I'm thinking about getting some kuiu axis pants, too.

Isn't this like apples to oranges? I feel like comparing kuiu attack to the FL corrugate guide pant would be more reasonable than expecting the obsidians to hold up the same way.

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider
Isn't this like apples to oranges? I feel like comparing kuiu attack to the FL corrugate guide pant would be more reasonable than expecting the obsidians to hold up the same way.
Nonsense! Comparing how similar nylon is to merino wool is a completely valid comparison because every manufacture claims they are different and all must be lying to us. Now that we genetically engineer and clone sheep maybe we can have nylon wool to make everyone happy.

On a completely different note, my Porsche 911 is total crap because the leather interior doesn't hold up when I throw landscape stone in it. Crap car, clearly not designed well because it doesn't work for how I want to use it. And my wife's silk sheets are total s%&! because they fell far short on durability after a full week of using them to drag firewood in from outside. You should read the scathing reviews I am leaving those companies for their crap products! Completely unsatisfied customer!

Stay tuned for my reviews of stainless steel infused 1000D cordura bed sheets and Rhino Liner's new "pleather" look for their bed liners.

ChrisS

WKR
Sure, but that's not what the question was. I went from attacks to kanabs to obsidians (which were marketed as more durable than the kanabs) and after using those pants, I'm going back to attacks. I don't know how many pairs of pants you buy every year for hunting, but I try to stick with one every 2-3 years. But maybe if I get my insta likes up, they'll ship a box of different clothes to my house for me to experiment with.

I wanted to like the merino wool pants, and I do, but they're fragile. So, after getting some miles out of them, I won't be going back to them. I still like my attacks, they're 6 years old and they're still holding up. The corrugates are lighter-weight than the attacks and don't have the hip vents.

Your mileage may vary, enjoy.

ChrisS

WKR
Nonsense! Comparing how similar nylon is to merino wool is a completely valid comparison because every manufacture claims they are different and all must be lying to us. Now that we genetically engineer and clone sheep maybe we can have nylon wool to make everyone happy.

On a completely different note, my Porsche 911 is total crap because the leather interior doesn't hold up when I throw landscape stone in it. Crap car, clearly not designed well because it doesn't work for how I want to use it. And my wife's silk sheets are total s%&! because they fell far short on durability after a full week of using them to drag firewood in from outside. You should read the scathing reviews I am leaving those companies for their crap products! Completely unsatisfied customer!

Stay tuned for my reviews of stainless steel infused 1000D cordura bed sheets and Rhino Liner's new "pleather" look for their bed liners.
FL’s marketing staff would love that.

“Please buy our backcountry hunting pant*”

*absolutely not designed for backcountry hunting.

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider
FL’s marketing staff would love that.

“Please buy our backcountry hunting pant*”

*absolutely not designed for backcountry hunting.
When I hear complaints about First Lite, it is almost always about a puffy jacket ripping when busting brush or wool pants not being as durable as nylon pants. Pretty unrealistic expectations, really. Would anyone that complains about wool pants failing faster than nylon pants also complain that a wool blanket isn't as durable as a nylon tarp? When has anyone felt a wool sweater was super durable like a Carhartt jacket?

At the end of the day, product users need to use a product within it intended parameters, especially when buying a special use/purpose built item. Wool pants are NOT thru-hiking pants, wool pants are NOT brush busting pants. What wool pants are intended for is sitting (old heavy Elmer Fudd pants) and for the use where their quiet nature and scent control are advantageous like stalking close in on an animal. How much hiking do people do in the wool suit pants? We shouldn't fault a company just because they didn't dumb down their product description even further. I guess in this age of victim-hood and big government we are getting used to expecting other people to be responsible for our own lack of common sense. I am not bashing anyone specifically but some personal accountability is necessary. Yes sometimes companies come out with a poor execution of a product but all too often it is simply easier, mentally, to blame big brother than take responsibility for lack of critical thinking.

Wool and anything termed "light weigh" such as puffys or ultralight raingear are not intended as an outer layer resistant to snagging and abrasion. If the special features aren't important there are standard options readily available, Heck this abrasion resistance is the very foundation of Levi Strause Co and the popularity of denim pants. But I don't suppose those complaining about wool pants feel denim fits their needs. Nylon is the denim of our time.

As a middle aged guy, we never had any of this great gear when I was a kid. We just were resigned to the fact we would get cold even with a dozen layers on and cold/wet feet were just a certainty of the adventure. I think we should be thankful for the people and companies that are putting out products for our limited segment of use. Realistically, for a clothing company, there are not a lot of people in the world that need to buy a pant that excels at scent control, is ultra quiet and breathable yet warm while using a material that has a shorter life and is more fragile than modern fabrics. 999/1000 will want a more durable pant instead of scent control or ultra quiet. Thankfully companies in the hunting industry, like First Lite, continue to update and improve their products to match the needs of the American hunter.

Clearly, we see changes every year. The First Lite umpronoucable jacket seems to be reinforced this year in an effort to avoid some of the complainers using it as a hard outer layer. This comes at a weight penalty. Reinforcing shins, cuffs and crotches of wool pants will likely increase their noise level on a stalk. Will the increased noise kill the purpose and therefore sales, maybe. General purpose items do a lot of things well but nothing great. Special purpose items do something excellent but most things mediocre/poorly and so should be saved for special use.

Jdutton24

Lil-Rokslider
I just wanna see some windproofing. It doesn't make sense to me to have a whitetail line that's doesn't protect from wind. I mean majority of whitetail is from a stand or shooting house. So while breathable clothes is a must in the mountains, if your sitting still 20 feet in the air where the wind is blowing even more, it's detrimental. Honestly if they just added a wind layer to the solitude it would be perfect as it could cover a wide range of temps with layering.

Diesel

WKR
I just wanna see some windproofing. It doesn't make sense to me to have a whitetail line that's doesn't protect from wind. I mean majority of whitetail is from a stand or shooting house. So while breathable clothes is a must in the mountains, if your sitting still 20 feet in the air where the wind is blowing even more, it's detrimental. Honestly if they just added a wind layer to the solitude it would be perfect as it could cover a wide range of temps with layering.

seems like a no brainer to me.

Meridian90

Lil-Rokslider
JUST bought a pair of Obsidian Pants in Ash Grey this AM. I am pretty excited to get them. Come on USPS!!!

I think one of my biggest complaints on FL is probably still that they can sell gear at 40% off for presumably profit, but they can't pickup the $7.50 for shipping.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think one of my biggest complaints on FL is probably still that they can sell gear at 40% off for presumably profit, but they can't pickup the $7.50 for shipping.

Don’t start thinking that they have free shipping for those getting 40% off..... plus their industry pricing is 30%. I can’t think of a company that doesn’t charge shipping when purchasing direct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meridian90

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t start thinking that they have free shipping for those getting 40% off..... plus their industry pricing is 30%. I can’t think of a company that doesn’t charge shipping when purchasing direct.

Oh yeah they all charge it. Not specific to first lite. Still annoying ha. I am not picking, but we live in an era of "free shipping over xxx price."

swehrman

Lil-Rokslider

Marmot and Outdoor Research both have free shipping offers when you buy directly from their websites.

-- Scott

swampokie

WKR
I just cant seem to get kanabs in any length above toddler size. Even the "tall" size is like 33" maybe. Im 5'11" by the way. Other than that i really love their clothing as long as its in ASAT