2020 First Lite

Anyone had their hands on the new Catalyst vest yet? I’m thinking I’ll order one when available, but I’d like to know if there’s going to be reasonable wind stopping and core warmth value. That said, anyone who owns the Catalyst jacket may be equipped to comment as well...

I wasn't super impressed with the catalyst jacket. IMO the wind cuts through it too easy for stand hunting. I ditched it for Sitka stratus stuff. Might be some value as far as core warmth goes, but there are better options.

twall13

WKR
The catalyst set wasn't designed to be windproof so if you buy it expecting some wind protection you'll be disappointed. It was designed to be a very breathable soft shell. When it came out people complained about the lack of pit zips and First Lite said in their testing it was so breathable it didn't need the pit zips. Full disclosure, I've never owned anything from the catalyst system so I'm speaking not from experience but from what the manufacturer stated when it came out.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

JDMBEND

Lil-Rokslider
The Catalyst jacket is my favorite FL piece. It is designed to be worn “on the move”. Light, quiet, and breathable. Glassing when its cold, I put a puffy on over it. Very functional, for me, down to the mid 20’s F.

tdhanses

WKR
They aren’t super durable but they aren’t all that fragile either in my opinion. 95% of my field days are rolling grass hills/coyote brush at home. They are awesome for that application. The times they’ve torn is when I took them to the sandy granite of the sierras and the knees got some small tears.

I hunt thick oak brush, not an issue but it also isn’t thorns etc just a bunch of rubbing on gear.

Benjblt

WKR
I’ve asked customer service before and it is not rated as wind resistant. That is why i do not own it
I feel that is a large reason for a softshell or you might as well be wearing a sweatshirt. That's part of my gripe with the Kuiu Guide jacket.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Squirrels

WKR
I had some of the FL boot top bottoms. Most worthless piece of anything I’ve ever owned. They bunched up on me bad.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Saw a couple guys posting about tucking in the boot top bottoms into their socks. I gave it a try today.

I hiked into the hills about 2 miles in this evening stalking for coyotes. I climbed some steep hills to really get my knees bending and I sat down and glassed at a few different spots. I then hiked to 2 miles back to the house and found that they stayed tucked into my socks for the whole trip out today.

Maybe they aren’t as worthless as I thought! They stayed tucked in and were super comfortable and warm all evening (the kiln weight). I’ll probably be taking these out more often this winter. Thanks for the tip!

Benjblt

WKR
Great base layer set for late season in stationary conditions. They’re my go to base layers when the temp drops below 40 and I’m sitting still. I’ll probably order the zip off furnace bottoms just to say I did, but the regulars are excellent. They’re very lofty and heavy. I’ve said it here before, but they’re similar to sweatpants in loft and thickness.
How durable would you say they are?

mikear

Lil-Rokslider

As a base layer, they’re very durable. I probably have 40 day hunts on them in two seasons, washed them 3 times I believe, and they’re like new. I never wear them as an outer layer. Zions over the bottoms and the Klamath over the top.

This is all hiking to the stand or ground location for whitetail. Ascending trees when I’m using a stand, etc. Almost always under a mile hike one way. Worth the money IMO.

Meridian90

Lil-Rokslider

I've worn the uppers without a layer over top. As far as wool goes, the furnace is pretty durable. But, it's still wool. If you go through some thick stuff, you will likely snag and have some issues. Other materials will take 'glancing blows' a lot better.