2020 First Lite

Meridian90

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone use the Furnace? How do you like it? I'm looking at the henley specifically.

Furnace base layers are just how they are described, a furnace. If you are up and moving, they will seem like too much base layer. If your sitting and glassing or in a tree stand, they are incredibly comfortable and amazingly warm for a base layer.

mikear

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone use the Furnace? How do you like it? I'm looking at the henley specifically.

Great base layer set for late season in stationary conditions. They’re my go to base layers when the temp drops below 40 and I’m sitting still. I’ll probably order the zip off furnace bottoms just to say I did, but the regulars are excellent. They’re very lofty and heavy. I’ve said it here before, but they’re similar to sweatpants in loft and thickness.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Love the Furnace bottoms. They are so soft - but warm AF.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I hope they aren't planning to discontinue the long john base layers. I just can't see the draw to a boot bottom base that doesn't cover entire leg.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I am just the opposite the less bulk down around my ankles the better.
I should look for shorter base layers

The thing is if they were actual “boot top” bottoms I’d love them. The issue is they are actually “bunch up at your mid calf and be super annoying” bottoms.

I love almost every single piece of FL that I own. But in my opinion the boot top bottoms are huge swing and a miss.

LJ Buck

WKR
Run the boot top bottoms with the long FL socks, tuck the bottoms into socks and it is amazing IMO!!!!

aaron14

Lil-Rokslider
The thing is if they were actual “boot top” bottoms I’d love them. The issue is they are actually “bunch up at your mid calf and be super annoying” bottoms.

I love almost every single piece of FL that I own. But in my opinion the boot top bottoms are huge swing and a miss.

I feel the same about them. Bought the Kiln thinking they'd be perfect since I'm not a fan of tucking base layers into my boots, but they end up bunching just below my knees and I barely wear them anymore.

Different strokes for different folks. I wear Darn Tough merino socks pulled up over them. The socks hold the base layers down and prevent them climbing my legs. Couldn’t stand a base layer that bunched up just below my knee and my socks are all just below the calf height wise.

twall13

WKR
Different strokes for different folks. I wear Darn Tough merino socks pulled up over them. The socks hold the base layers down and prevent them climbing my legs. Couldn’t stand a base layer that bunched up just below my knee and my socks are all just below the calf height wise.
I don't own the First Lite version but that's how I wear my Kuiu Zip-offs and really like the shorter length. I really want to try the new First Lite version as I much prefer the feel of their merino but we'll see what happens as I don't really need another pair and nobody wants to buy used underwear...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I don't own the First Lite version but that's how I wear my Kuiu Zip-offs and really like the shorter length. I really want to try the new First Lite version as I much prefer the feel of their merino but we'll see what happens as I don't really need another pair and nobody wants to buy used underwear...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

have the kuiu versions. Boot top is great. Covers legs to my socks. No need to undo boots to remove the bottoms.

andydwyer

WKR
Man, I was really hoping for a "windproof" Catalyst update so I could save up and buy one off one of you guys next year 😂

I'm new to the hunting clothing world, but it seems like the some of these companies, being a smaller niche, have a hard time developing proprietary fabrics that can compete with the likes of Gore. Does FL develop their own membrane and shell fabrics? I would think yes because the needs of hunters are pretty specific and demanding -- water resistant, windproof, silent, rugged... Then again for nearly $300 it's hard to expect less.

Bojangles21

Lil-Rokslider
What kind of thread are you using? My wife is a really good seamstress and I have a pair of their merino pants that have about 400 field days on them that need some sewing.

Use some fishing line. Sounds ghetto but actually works pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My180sx

FNG
What kind of thread are you using? My wife is a really good seamstress and I have a pair of their merino pants that have about 400 field days on them that need some sewing.
You got 400 days out of their obidian pants thats really good. Ive herd good things but have also herd they are not very durable. Where abouts do you hunt? Id really like to try a pair out

tdhanses

WKR
You got 400 days out of their obidian pants thats really good. Ive herd good things but have also herd they are not very durable. Where abouts do you hunt? Id really like to try a pair out

I haven’t had any major issue with the 3 pair I have, my favorite pant. Been using them since 2012, my oldest is the last gen before they became the obsidian, forget the name but I much prefer the newer design with stretch. I rotate all three and that might also have been a key to extending their life.

I only hunt on avg 20-30 days a year so they don’t get tons of time on them each year. My oldest pre gen to the obsidians probably have 100days on them.

If you’re hunting relatively open country or areas that don’t have blackberry’s/thorns, they’ll last u a long time. I’ve shredded a couple pairs using them in the wrong environments though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mxgsfmdpx

WKR

They aren’t super durable but they aren’t all that fragile either in my opinion. 95% of my field days are rolling grass hills/coyote brush at home. They are awesome for that application. The times they’ve torn is when I took them to the sandy granite of the sierras and the knees got some small tears.

Anyone had their hands on the new Catalyst vest yet? I’m thinking I’ll order one when available, but I’d like to know if there’s going to be reasonable wind stopping and core warmth value. That said, anyone who owns the Catalyst jacket may be equipped to comment as well...

Lowg08

WKR
I’ve asked customer service before and it is not rated as wind resistant. That is why i do not own it