2020 fitness goals

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
we had a 19 fitness goal thread, so should have a 2020 now :)

my goal is to continue to consistently hit the trails running/hiking/snowshoeing/bc skiing; lofty goal of 2020 miles- have gotten pretty close the last couple of years, we'll see this year

also stay consistent with my strength training- would like to see gains in my deadlifts/squats/bench/overhead press

what say you?

*zap*

WKR
Strength training is going well, I plan to keep that on track and make small consistent gains there.
Want to turn the heat up on swimming, cardio and rucking. All that, together is a wide spectrum of work. I need deliberate planning of what to do each day and also need to keep in mind that it is a marathon and not a sprint to avoid burn out and just too much wear and tear on my 63 year old body.....I would love to be able to finish rehabbing my knees which were pretty worn out three years ago, I have made good progress in that area via exercise and started split squats yesterday which I believe will be a key to finishing that out...although I will probably never see them as good as they were 40 years ago....
Good Luck to everyone else with Crushing your goals...

Teaman1

WKR
2020 goal is to do SOMETHING every week. Been doing hiit after my full body lifting days and running 2-3 times a week. Just listening to my body, take the day off if I’m sore. I won’t get back to past records but want to see at least 1000 for a big 3 total and drop 20 pounds which would put me at 195

Last edited:

crmiller84

Lil-Rokslider
Ended up hitting all of my goals but 2 last year (failed on getting down to 180# and getting my pull ups to 15), so those are on the list again this year.

Also, finish the Gnaw Bone 50 miler in May, finish the Indiana Trail 100 miler in October, 2500 total miles of running, and 150k of vert.

The year hasn't started out too well, trying to learn a new routine having my 4 month old son in the mornings and then last Friday my poor wife shattered her fibula and broke her tibia in two places, rendering her immobile until her surgery (hopefully) Tuesday. Waiting on the swelling to go down at this point.

rclouse79

WKR
Trx class twice a week, lift twice a week, hike with a weighted pack, mountain bike, cut out sugar, beer, and as much processed food as I can. I love the spring bear season as a motivator to start getting in shape early and test out gear for archery season.

Just to lose weight and feel better. I've had 4 hip/femur surgeries over the last decade that I've used as an excuse for too long. I don't really care exactly what i weigh as long as i have less fat than i do now and I'm not miserable on the mountain come fall.

twall13

WKR
I was wondering if another one of these threads would pop up this year, I like it!

My goals this year are to get in 1400 trail miles, probably mostly trail running with a few hundred hiking and some limited mountain biking. I also want to put in at least 175,000 ft. of elevation gain. I also plan to run at least one trail half marathon this year and I have a few options selected already.

With that I'll maintain my current pushup, pullup, squat, lunges, and planks routine that has me in decent overall shape. I did pick up a few pounds over the the holidays with eating too much garbage food so I'll add in a goal to get my weight down to 175 by dialing in my nutrition. I'm usually around 178-180 but currently sitting at 184 so about 9 pounds to go. I want to hit that goal before elk season, which should be easily attainable.

I've been a bit sick for the last 3 weeks so I haven't gotten off to a great start but all things considered I'm not doing too bad.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

crmiller84

Lil-Rokslider
I was wondering if another one of these threads would pop up this year, I like it!

My goals this year are to get in 1400 trail miles, probably mostly trail running with a few hundred hiking and some limited mountain biking. I also want to put in at least 175,000 ft. of elevation gain. I also plan to run at least one trail half marathon this year and I have a few options selected already.

With that I'll maintain my current pushup, pullup, squat, lunges, and planks routine that has me in decent overall shape. I did pick up a few pounds over the the holidays with eating too much garbage food so I'll add in a goal to get my weight down to 175 by dialing in my nutrition. I'm usually around 178-180 but currently sitting at 184 so about 9 pounds to go. I want to hit that goal before elk season, which should be easily attainable.

I've been a bit sick for the last 3 weeks so I haven't gotten off to a great start but all things considered I'm not doing too bad.

Out of curiosity, what is the current pushup/pullup/squat/lunge/plank routine you're doing? I just started one of the free Darebee.com programs and these are the types of exercises I want to be doing this year. As a runner mainly I don't want tons of bulk, just great overall strength,

twall13

WKR
Out of curiosity, what is the current pushup/pullup/squat/lunge/plank routine you're doing? I just started one of the free Darebee.com programs and these are the types of exercises I want to be doing this year. As a runner mainly I don't want tons of bulk, just great overall strength,
I'm similar in not wanting to bulk up too much, which is why most of what I do is bodyweight exercises (also keeps the necessary equipment to a minimum). I've always just done my own thing and push to improve where I feel like I need improvement. My typical year round routine is to do 100 pushups, 55-60 air squats, and 20 unbroken strict chin-ups as a warm up pre-run. After my run I'll do a set of 20 strict pullups, rest a minute and do 10 more chin-ups. After that I hold a plank for 2 minutes then I do 60 jumping lunges, which is often a killer after a good run but I feel helps a lot with my leg strength. After that I stretch my legs out and catch my breath before finishing up with another 50 pushups. I do that routine Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and then try to get a hike or mountain bike ride in on the weekend. As elk season gets closer I will add in some additional squats, lunges, and weighted pack hikes but I try to keep the above routine as a minimum year round. I'm not as hardcore as a lot of guys but I've slowly worked up to where I'm at over the last 4-5 years and I've noticed a difference in both my overall health as well as my ability to hike hard during hunting season.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't have any particular body weight routine, but try to sprinkle them in regularly with my weight training.

I have found a pretty good way to measure overall progress with a Crossfit workout called "Murph"

it's a timed workout that starts w/ a 1 mile run and then 300 air squats, 200 pushups and a 100 pull-ups, finish with another mile run and stop the clock

the squats/pushups/pullups can be done in any order and mixed anyway- just have to complete the total number of reps- I break it into 20 sets of 15 squats/10 pushups/5 pull-ups

keep track of your times and every couple of months give it a go and see where you stack up

if you want more of a challenge, the special forces guys do it with their 25 lb vests on!

crmiller84

Lil-Rokslider
Well, one thing I have just learned reading what some of you guys do is, I am WEAK, lol. Goals though, and great motivation. I know I'm a decent runner but definitley lacking in my functional strength. Murph sounds like a good marker to check myself out. So new goal = Complete a Murph workout on March 1st. That will let me get through the first round of this Darebee program, and give me a little time to cut some weight.

Anyone else want to do a Murph on March 1st and post times? My time might very well be crap, my pull up game is one of the things I've wanted to improve for ever, and 100 pull ups seems insane. But I'm all for the challenge!

FLAK

WKR
I used to Jog, lift weights, etc.... didn't really notice a whole lot of difference than just plain ole walking/hiking. That's what you do when
you hunt anyway and nothing compares to doing exactly what your going to be doing.
Other than that, @53 y/o, just staying alive.