2020 fitness goals

twall13

WKR
Anyone else want to do a Murph on March 1st and post times? My time might very well be crap, my pull up game is one of the things I've wanted to improve for ever, and 100 pull ups seems insane. But I'm all for the challenge!

I wouldn't even know what a "good" time is but I'm game to try the Murph with you. Drop a reminder on this thread a few days before and I'll post my time afterwards.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

crmiller84

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't even know what a "good" time is but I'm game to try the Murph with you. Drop a reminder on this thread a few days before and I'll post my time afterwards.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

For me right now a good time would be finishing the whole thing, lol. I put it in my Google calendar so I can't forget.

Felix40

WKR
The only real goal I am chasing is a 400# squat. Ive been wanting it for a while but never thought it would be possible for this skinny kid. It will be fun to focus on it this year.

Rick

FNG
Anyone else want to do a Murph on March 1st and post times? My time might very well be crap, my pull up game is one of the things I've wanted to improve for ever, and 100 pull ups seems insane. But I'm all for the challenge!

Doing the Murph is on my list this year and recently added Clovis but I'm on a different time schedule. Clovis will be sometime in April and Murph is on Memorial Day. Clovis will probably be scaled for me as I doubt I'll able to do 150 pull ups even broken into 10 sets. I'll be close on Murph scaled without the weight vest. My goal on both is just to finish.

Clovis:
for time
10 mile run
150 burpee pull ups

Murph:
for time
1 mile run
100 pull ups
200 push ups
300 squats
1 mile run

Outlaw99

WKR
Those of you wanting to try the Murph, you should give it a go periodically between now and Memorial Day. You have to find a strategy that works for you. I just ran through it today again; finished in 58 min. I need to continue to tweak my approach and shave time. Whew, that Clovis looks like a gut check for sure! Good luck to everyone with their goals

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just looked up the last one I did (June 2019) - 52:45 (20 sets of 15/10/5)

I read an article that thought doing 50 sets of 6/4/2 would be a good strategy- might be???

I will say for myself that I don't go all out on the runs and towards the end of the first mile I pull it back considerably to get my wind going into the exercises

On the last mile I'm going pretty easy and then towards the end if I have any juice left, pick up the pace

Anyway you do it- it's a toughie :D

Outlaw99

WKR
I haven’t had any issues running out of wind on the Murph, my arms usually turn to jello about the 120 mark on the pushups. I tried the 10/5 with the push ups/ pull ups. I went a different route on the squats, I did sets of 25 of them to get them over with. I don’t really have any issues with them, but I always hate them lol, so I just grind them out and get them out of the way. The20/5’s on the pull ups works out pretty good. I’m gonna keep playing with the push ups and see what happens. It’s funny, the 2 separate mile runs are the enjoyable relaxing part of the workout lol

crmiller84

Lil-Rokslider
I thought I wasn’t but in bad shape, but man I’d die if I tried some of these workouts.
Not gonna lie, I'll be lucky to complete Murph in <1.5Hr, if at all, honestly. Pull ups are going to be my Achilles Heel. But I'll never know unless I try, and if I fail it's just one more thing to work towards.

Zero shame if I give it everything I've got!

fatlander

WKR
I’m just looking to round myself out more physically. I’m trying to mix my workouts up with high intensity interval training and CrossFit type exercises.

I’m going to do The Murph on Memorial Day, thanks to this thread.

Also going to try the Jocko challenge the entire month of February. Feet hit the Floor at 0400 and head straight to the gym before starting the day. Hopefully that habit will stick. I hate working out after work. I’d rather come home and shoot my bow in the daylight than the dark.

52000 push ups in 2020. (1000/week)
So far, I'm ahead of schedule, and I didn't start recording until 1/6.

Sub 20 min 5k - been doing it since I started running about 10 years ago, turning 37 this year.

MURPH - I need to get a pull up bar. Been modifying it by adding 100 pushups instead. Its grueling... but I think the pullups will be worse. My last murph was around 27 mins IIRC (with 300 pushups, no pullups)...and around 6:30 miles.

Have had these in my phone since December but just now posting. Decided it might be good accountability for me. I'll be doing Murph at the end of every month.

Finish 2020 at 195-200 lbs @ 10% body fat
Squat- 400
Bench- 325
Deadlift- 550
Front Squat- 350
100 Double Unders unbroken
Murph, Unpartitioned and vested- 45 minutes

some of you guys putting in 1000+ miles --damn!
a few years ago I set a goal of running 1000 miles and by the end of Feb, I fell way off pace. I made up a bunch of excuses (time, weather, daylight, etc), but at the end of the day, its just a hard one to keep up with.

crmiller84

Lil-Rokslider
some of you guys putting in 1000+ miles --damn!
a few years ago I set a goal of running 1000 miles and by the end of Feb, I fell way off pace. I made up a bunch of excuses (time, weather, daylight, etc), but at the end of the day, its just a hard one to keep up with.
It can definitely be a bear to keep up with big mileage years. Scheduling races helped me a lot, and FAILING races helped me even more. My big failure in 2018 and another in May of last year galvanized my resolve to stop running on the treadmill ad much as possible and just brave the elements. Now the only thing that keeps me from running outside is lightning storms and sub-zero temps/windchills.

fatlander

WKR
It can definitely be a bear to keep up with big mileage years. Scheduling races helped me a lot, and FAILING races helped me even more. My big failure in 2018 and another in May of last year galvanized my resolve to stop running on the treadmill ad much as possible and just brave the elements. Now the only thing that keeps me from running outside is lightning storms and sub-zero temps/windchills.

You’re so right about scheduling races and not accomplishing your goals in them stoking the fire. I will add that the only treadmill run I’ve found that actually works me is to find one that has a “Mountain Run” type workout. It inclines and declines automatically to simulate climbing and descending. It’s still not the same a running outside but I get a much better workout in than just flat treadmill miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MThuntr

WKR
Gotta lose the 15 lbs I gained last fall while enjoying too many Costco Danishes and festive beers. I knew this was going to happen as I was slacking on my fitness while dating a gal. I have a Concept2 rower and hit that for either a 5K, 500cal, or 10k row. Tuesday I broke my 500cal row time by nearly 1 minute and last night I broke my 10k time by about 35 seconds. I've been cutting calories to about 1500 (does not include calories burnt from cardio) based on a calculation of my base metabolic rate minus 500cal. Need to add some weight training back into things and will likely do a 2 day week lift alternating cardio 3 days a week. Saturdays and Sundays are reserved for social cardio (XC skiing, snowshoeing, and downhill skiing) or ice fishing.

I have backcountry snowshoes now and will start snowshoeing as much as I can. I downhill ski however tend to have a couple beers so calories expended tends to be lower than consumed on those days.

I will likely schedule a few 1/2 marathons for late spring and early summer. Goal is to be around 220-225 when summer hits and maybe aim for about 200-210 at elk season which is about 30lbs less than I am currently. That should be pretty easy if I keep active in the summer and stay out of the breweries

P Carter

WKR
I'll play. I've settled on a 2,000 "self powered miles" goal. That will be largely running, but I'm going to throw in walking, hiking, and biking as well. figured this would give some flexibility for cross-training etc. Plus 18,000 pushups. On track so far!

Hot_Rod51

FNG
My first goal is to get into the shape I was in last May when I ran my first trail marathon. It was a bucket list event for me, just to say I ran one. The goal was to finish. I finished it and my lungs and heart felt surprisingly great afterward. It was the lower half that took the beating.

I've gained some weight since then, so the goal is to lose that... and then some.

I've been married to the Wendler 5/3/1 lifting program since last summer and I feel pretty strong. At 40, I'm feeling stronger that I have in many years.

The problem is trying to gain strength and lose weight at the same time. The caloric surplus needed for muscle building isn't very conducive to the caloric deficit needed to burn fat. I'm walking a fine line of a 2 day/wk Wendler program with some HIIT in between. When the ice and snow go away I'll get back outside to pound the pavement for a few miles /wk.

My biggest problem is the diet. I'll stay active, no problem. I can't stop grazing through the kitchen. I'd say my number one goal is to back off the fork and get ready to head out west come September.