2020 Hunts- Deer, Mt Goat, Bears, Sheep, Bou, Moose

OP
wildwilderness
We were able to get the moose quarters, and mostly boned out before it got dark. The next day we came back with the whole family and a big friend and a sled to pack it out to the truck. Strong daughter!
8F3998D4-7C92-46D3-A89D-6D82582FD89D.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
wildwilderness
With that lost whitetail in Texas Justus had some redemption in Illinois on a nice buck thanks to one of his friends property. He then made good on a delayed Auodad hunt in NM due to Covid. Caleb didn’t get to go at that time but the boys did well DIY!
1E6E6F2E-BE32-4723-A08D-A84A1B27EAE9.jpeg1D6B0043-824D-40A5-B5D0-862E7938EE04.jpeg

OP
wildwilderness
To finish my season I had a trip to Arkansas on my best bud Brady’s deer lease. No big deer there but lots of fun to bowhunt whitetails. Brady does a trophy trip for real deer every year, and got a great one in Illinois 2020 as well! It sure put him in a good mood when I came to hunt :)
A32EB705-0E38-48CB-8441-DC92E584AA92.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
wildwilderness
I made it down to Arkansas late Nov. Since Brady has been controlling coyotes, and improving habitat, there has been a noticeable uptick in deer numbers from the drop a couple years ago. This certainly helped me since I had a bad case of the Yips again! It is a common problem I have with whitetail from a stand!
To document it I made a point to start self filming this year. It was a blast to set up my phone on a little holder and capture all my shots. Definitely not professional quality but I had fun and saw that the Southern Whitetail are triggered! A couple shots they completely ducked the arrow!

I Here is one stand to show my problems- I had shot high on a doe the night before on a long shot at last light. This stand was set up better but my shooting wasn't much better-

OP
wildwilderness
If you watch in slo-mo that doe really ducked! I stayed in the stand and an hour later I got really excited- one of Brady's cull bucks showed up. His lease has pretty bad genetics. Lots of big mature spikes, and mature 4-6 points bucks. So shooting these bucks are the plan with at least one of the tags.
This management buck makes it to the same spot as that doe and the same thing happens! But watch the end of the video......

OP
wildwilderness
As luck would have it this buck had a death wish. I purposely aimed low, but still hit high! I guess I need to practice more from a tree stand. At least is was an easy tracking job. The arrow penetrated well and a 2nd wasn't needed.

OP
wildwilderness
This buck fit well into the management plan! Basically the bucks off limits are yearlings and any young buck 8 pts or bigger. For those they need to be 4 years plus. Unfortunately the average trophy size of those will be about 125-130” however a few bigger have been killed in the area over the years.90A7A525-EB27-4450-9AC1-FD6A3D4D30EA.jpeg

OP
wildwilderness
I hunted a couple more days for another cull buck with no luck. I also had a gimme chance at a fat doe, but she got spooked at 15 yards, and I ended up taking the shot at 30 but she was on edge and jumped the string. I think these deer are more spooky in the open plots Brady has made. I didn't have as much issue on tight travel route in the thick stuff. I plan to add lighted nocks for the video in 2021. It was a lot of fun to film my own hunts. But here is my last shot of 2020, another miss high!
Made me ready for 2021!

mhabiger

FNG
Fantastic thread and awesome to see the kids having success and getting after it. Really is amazing to see the breadth of opportunity that Alaska offers along with some cool hunts in the lower 48!

OP
wildwilderness
December came and my oldest son Caleb left for a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints.

I think the hardest part for him will be no hunting for 2 yrs! Was a good year for him and lots of personal growth. In 2021 will be time to help my youngest boy learn the ways of hunting and fishing.
6875BE3A-CFE2-4006-A1BC-2B6C29794E86.jpeg

noelemahc

FNG
appreciated scrolling through this article. very cool pictures.
i need to make it to alaska one day.