2020 Hunts- Deer, Mt Goat, Bears, Sheep, Bou, Moose

OP
wildwilderness
At first light I ate a quick breakfast to warm up and packed camp. I quickly found the rams where I left them, and they were heading back towards me! I got my spotter out and ruled out any full curls, but couldn’t get a good count of rings. Unfortunately the rams went out of sight into a ravine, but would come out below me.

It took almost an hour for them to move the few hundred yards back into view- the first four popped over, including a mature one. I could only get 7-8 rings.... not enough confidence to pull the trigger. I needed 8-9 for margin of error! I had to wait and hope the wind held, that these rams didn’t spook.

They bedded about 200 yds below, then I made out 3 other rams. The other mature ram was 7/8 curl and unfortunately the same on rings 7-8? Then the heavier one broomed ram came up. I couldn’t believe it when I finally saw the bases- 9-10 rings!! Every time I counted I would get 9-10! The ram was feeding up to me and was 150 yds.

Something clicked and I went into Kill Mode- my rifle was on the bipod locked and loaded, no adjustments need for the shot, the second the crosshairs were on the vitals I touched the trigger and the ram dropped! Then slid out of sight.

I was shaking with excitement. I packed up my gear and and made my way down the slope. There was a an obvious blood trail down the slide, showing every rock and drop the ram hit, this is what I saw at the bottom of the ravine!
CCCC1090-EBE2-412E-9F52-CA3DCEF9CF72.jpeg

OP
wildwilderness
Once again the dentist in me had to check out the teeth- another missing one that was healed over
Makes for a Heavy pack out loaded down with a sheep, on top of everything. But those are the best loads to carry. I had time to take it slow since I had killed early in this hunt.
D9CF0748-04ED-4809-B4E4-4E1A10FE07A2.jpegA7BEA0BD-3319-4111-9E26-585D132F518E.jpeg

OP
wildwilderness
Next up was a Moose hunt- Now I know you are thinking that I live in Alaska and of course I’m hunting moose. Well I actually drew a Shiras Moose Tag in COLORADO! It took me moving away from the state to finally get a tag there!!
In 2020 the bull tag was good for all seasons. I came out for the end of archery to hopefully get a bull before rifle season started.

I drew a tag on the Grand Mesa, mainly because I knew the area and had a lot of friends in the area from living in GJ for 10 years.4729CCCB-7023-4EC4-BF07-0CB138AC0BDE.jpeg

OP
wildwilderness
I had a couple buddies scout around the summer, and keep tabs on other people. I got a video from a friend who got it from another etc. of a great bull in the unit . It would be a monster bull for the area.
I looked at the harvest stats over the last few years and most of the bulls killed were average to smaller sized for Colorado in the 20-30” range.

Being that I didn’t have all summer to scout, and was limited on my time there , I wasn’t going to be too picky! I really wanted to kill one with my bow more than anything. The odds of me ever drawing another Bull Shiras Moose tag would be slim to none. (I also knew I could hunt big Alaska moose every year I want to)1A682FBB-8907-42A9-91CE-3104CDE01AE3.png

OP
wildwilderness
On the Mesa there were two main areas that historically had the most harvests. They are about an hour apart. The first couple days I went out with my buddy Steve and checked out an area. As luck would have it I found a bull that day- just the wrong kind of Bull! The OTC archery season was on, but I specifically decided NOT to buy an OTC Elk tag! I knew I couldn't get distracted by bugling elk and spend time chasing them when I had a rare Shiras tag.
What better way to get on elk than to not have a tag ! This guy walked right up to me. I do love elk hunting but would have to be another year.

OP
wildwilderness
No luck on Moose the first few days. My good friend Phil took a couple days off work to help me hunt. Justus also came out to keep us entertained! The tough part was turning up moose. Was a pretty dry year and the moose weren’t out like normal.
One afternoon we split up to cover more ground. I had some intel from elk hunters on a nice valley full of beaver ponds. We had spotted a cow moose in the area the day before.

I hike the mile in and keep thinking this looks great! Awesome moose habit. Maybe I should give out a Moose call?

Without thinking too much I make a cow call- instantly a bull grunts! I see the Willow thrash and a bull pokes his head out 80 yards away!

The problem is I’m out in the open! Standing in the middle of a big clearing I do exactly the wrong thing. I panicked and tried to run for cover.

Rutting bulls aren’t the smartest animals but a hunter running around in the wide open is pretty obviously not a cow. I tried to get closer and call again but the bull knew something was up and left .2B2B39DF-2698-42C0-94B5-E85DE79047CD.jpeg

OP
wildwilderness
The next day was also slow, no moose sightings and warm weather. The dry heat must have kept the moose in the dark timber. The Mesa is tough with lack of good glassing areas and lots of flat vegetation.
I’m my experience Moose hunting can be a grind! Low density animal and is surprising how they can hide949E8A04-E091-4F10-9625-627D370C7A18.jpeg

OP
wildwilderness
The last day of archery season start clear. Another warm day ahead. I was feeling a bit tired. We decided to sit and call in the AM. nothing. At noon we headed back to camp by a different route. There was a lot of Cattle still out on the hills. We had a running joke that every black beef cow we saw was a moose, and there was a lot of them!
As we passed a trail on a creek I had checked out the week before with Steve I saw another black body. Thinking it was another beef, I didn't say anything until we came clear of brush and I saw antlers! A mad scramble occurred, the Bull watched a bit confused. He knew something was up, and started to head out. I took a long shot with Phil and Justus watching, neither of them had time to video :(

The arrow hit a bit high and went half way in. The bull headed towards the timber as I tried to get another shot. He never stopped long enough to get a range and draw. Phil and Justus thought the shot was ok, not great, may may be good enough. We decided to go to camp, get lunch then come back on the blood trail.

An hour later we picked up some blood and my broken arrow. We slowly followed the trail into the timber. Phil is a great tracker and I really appreciated having him there with his optimism. It was slow going but we didn't want to loose it.

a 100 yards into the timber we sense something... then we jump the bull out of its bed! Dang its not dead, but we could tell it was moving slow. Phil and I move after the bull in the chest high brush and trees to see if I could get another shot. Justus stays back to not cause too much distraction. After a little chase I see the bull in the shadows- its amazing how a black animal that big just disappears in the trees!! I make a hasty shot through the only window I see and hear the thump of a good hit. Phil watches as the bull runs to our right and we loose sight, but think we hear it hit some trees.

We slowly work our way over and see it bedded down head still up. Not wanting it to suffer any longer I send the final arrow and let out a yell to Justus!

OP
wildwilderness
I couldn’t have done this hunt with out the help of some great friends. Even better to have help butchering up a bull. I was excited to have a harvest complete the hunt on the last day of archery season.
Look at Justus’s shirt, he thinks it’s funny 😆852EC406-A6C4-45FC-902B-9E871646988E.jpeg

OP
wildwilderness
Another couple pics. Not sure if I will ever draw another Shiras tag. Will probably stop putting in for them in most states. Upon examination the first shot was high lung and the bull was slowly bleeding internally. The arrow hit the off shoulder and stopped; they are a huge animal. The second shot I got through the brush was a bit back, but was a complete passthrough.36567EB3-2671-40E6-8DED-A2C47CACDD65.jpegB329A560-3D32-48D8-BF9E-0B1EBA16E0C8.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
wildwilderness
Next up the boys Caleb and Justus had a hunt in TX with a new friend. It very neat that these kids are now making new friends all over with other hunters, way more opportunities than I ever dreamt of when I was that age.

Caleb got this shot on a spike, a bit back but the big mech put it down quickly. It is fun to be able to video hunts!

OP
wildwilderness
They had a great time and learned a lot. Justus lost a nice 8 pt buck after a long tracking job, but shot a couple does. Caleb shot 80C2CF76-9295-4594-A6F7-08288EB35C98.jpeganother doe and a couple pigs.
AFCBD2B5-6468-4F3A-8D62-04F40A744B43.jpeg3CE412D1-2BBB-46CF-97A2-D1C43CCD19AE.jpeg

OP
wildwilderness
Back to AK, my youngest boy drew a cow moose tag. By now winter had set in here with som early snows. He was excited all year to get a chance. We had thought about possibly bow hunting for the moose but after that spring bear season I was a little wary that he wasn’t ready.

So I set him up on a new rifle- his 243 wasn’t going to cut it for this hunt. I got a great deal on a Remington model Seven in 300 SAUM and loaded some 175 LRX bullets. He has always been a good shot at the range, and put in his practice.

Luckily this tag was close to home, one of the rare chances in AK. We networked with friends and had a couple close calls on getting a moose but they would always gave us the slip.

Halfway through the season we were talking to my wife (who doesn’t hunt) and she casually says - “Oh, we saw a few moose the other day while driving home from cc skiing “.

The area she mentioned was all public And I said “why didn’t you tell us sooner!”

Of course the answer was “I didn’t know you guys wanted a moose? Is that in your area?” Well, she is a good sport and lets us hunt wherever we want, just not dialed into the pursuit 😆

We headed first thing Saturday and quickly spot 3 bedded moose! Exciting! We get a spotter on them and see a cow, a fork, and a little paddle horn bull.

We spend some time planning the stalk. The area has restrictions against shooting near roads, buildings, etc so we had to plan accordingly to be legal. Caleb would stay back and glass for us while Jack and I moved in.

It almost went as planned, But the moose saw us, the deep snow made it hard going! I had set up the video in a good spot, but the cow moved before the shot. I had to give Jack the better angle and quickly reset the camera. This is how kids learn!

OP
wildwilderness
The moose were still up and moving a bit, but looked to stay in the area. Jack repositioned to get a better angle but I had a bad spot to video from. Oh well, we made do and he made a perfect shot!

OP
wildwilderness
Another issue with Alaska winter hunts is the daylight- or lack thereof! This time of year we only get about 5hrs of the sun so you have to work fast, gets cold as well when the sun goes down 🥶

great picture of my two boys! I love it when they work together and help each other.
F314AF7F-7B43-4216-9753-8139C268CCF7.jpeg