2020 Idaho Elk

Anyone get the tag they wanted? I got all the way to the CC info page and the website crashed. By the time I got back the Diamond Creek tags were gone. I bet the website crashed 20 times on me.

Good luck to those that got through that goat rope.

Rob5589

WKR
Nope. Was trying to get the same tag. Multiple crashes, redirects, etc. DC A was all gone by the time I was able to get through.

sasquatch

WKR
Same thing. I know 5 people that was up trying. All same stories with constant crashes and only 2 got through to get a tag before they sold out. 1.5 hr sell out lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BradG

FNG
I was one of the lucky ones but I bet the site crashed 10 times with me. The only why I knew I got a tag was the idfg email with verification of a DC tag

Really? I was thinking about grabbing a tag for Tex creek. I’ve never been up there before haha

The way the DC tag has been talked about lately is incredible. Its like combining the Gila units, Unit 9 and 10 in AZ plus the Boulder in Utah and multiply it by 100 the way some people talk about it. I hope the people who have this tag realize how crowded that unit is. I would take a boatload of other OTC units over the DC anyday. It is wild to see certain western units come and go in popularity. The DC unit has taken on a life of its own.

BradG

FNG
The way the DC tag has been talked about lately is incredible. Its like combining the Gila units, Unit 9 and 10 in AZ plus the Boulder in Utah and multiply it by 100 the way some people talk about it. I hope the people who have this tag realize how crowded that unit is. I would take a boatload of other OTC units over the DC anyday. It is wild to see certain western units come and go in popularity. The DC unit has taken on a life of its own.
DC is no more crowded now then 5 years ago. The amount of tags for nr and residence are close to the same (total). So more crowded no. More popular and coveted yes. DC is great for success rate but it doesn't have large 300-340 class bulls at the same rate as the other units you suggested. Just a lot smaller bulls with the occasional big bull mixed in.

DC is no more crowded now then 5 years ago. The amount of tags for nr and residence are close to the same (total). So more crowded no. More popular and coveted yes. DC is great for success rate but it doesn't have large 300-340 class bulls at the same rate as the other units you suggested. Just a lot smaller bulls with the occasional big bull mixed in.

Totally agree. My point was simply that I think the popularity has given the unit a false sense of what it is. There have been people talking on various threads who got the tag for the first time and are talking as if they drew one of the units I described earlier. I saw many times in the past week people saying something along the lines of "my group had six people refreshing our computers at the same time but only two of us "drew" the tag." I think there is a false sense of expectation. Not bagging on the unit at all, just pointing out that I think people who are going to hunt that unit for the first time this year may be in for a surprise.

With Wyoming moving their application date to May, I think this year is going to be very different for a lot of people who hunt elk through the same process each year. Idaho will sell out earlier than last year, a lot of people hoping to draw WY wont, MT general will get harder to draw etc etc. The path to hunting elk out west is getting trickier each year.

BradG

FNG
Totally agree. My point was simply that I think the popularity has given the unit a false sense of what it is. There have been people talking on various threads who got the tag for the first time and are talking as if they drew one of the units I described earlier. I saw many times in the past week people saying something along the lines of "my group had six people refreshing our computers at the same time but only two of us "drew" the tag." I think there is a false sense of expectation. Not bagging on the unit at all, just pointing out that I think people who are going to hunt that unit for the first time this year may be in for a surprise.

With Wyoming moving their application date to May, I think this year is going to be very different for a lot of people who hunt elk through the same process each year. Idaho will sell out earlier than last year, a lot of people hoping to draw WY wont, MT general will get harder to draw etc etc. The path to hunting elk out west is getting trickier each year.
I cant agree more with your statement again. I was 1-3 to get it in my group. And another group was 4-6. All on at 1201.
I also think with all the discussion about changing the price and process got a lot of people motovated to try out west hunting

Yep. And the awesome part is that the YouTube “stars” are making their money telling everyone in the world to buy points and hunt elk OTC in the West. Then there’s the hype machine on flavor of the month units. Wish the money wasn’t a factor driving this.

As a nonresident, buckle up for some lean years drawing tags. I’m a nonresident everywhere but Idaho.

Damnit. Guess I'll have to burn Muley and Antelope points eventually then...

This is so true. Was literally just saying this to my wife last night. I have a crazy amount of muley and antelope points that I always say I am going to use "next year." Looks like there may be more of a reason to use them coming up...fortunately or unfortunately. Im definately one of the folks who is in no mans land in a lot of states now. I've drawn a lot of great elk tags in the past 8 years and am still a few years off in AZ and UT.

In all honestly I would be lying if I said I didnt take Western elk hunting for granted these past few years with the ability to get tags regardless of where I stood on points in various states.

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly. I saw a ton of people hunting this unit last year. People everywhere