2020 Idaho Unit 17 Elk hunt

A group of us have decided to Rifle hunt unit 17 this year for Elk and Mule Deer during the second and third week of October. We were going to try for the September hunt but we couldn’t get it together in time and the tags sold out. We are coming from all over the country and meeting there. We plan to set base camp at the road and hike in from there in pairs for 3 to 4 days at a time. So with all that said my concern is the weather? All the data that I have been able to find says that the temps are in the mid 20 for lows and the mid to hi 40 for the highs. The temps are manageable for us But what about snow fall in the middle of October? I understand that feet of snow could fall but how often does this happen in October?

Any first hand knowledge or historical data Of the unit would be much appreciated

Rob5589

WKR
Be prepared for snow, how much is hard to say. We were in the SE corner mid Oct last year and got about 8" over night. More at higher elevations. We've gotten 6+ inches in Sept as well. Hopefully someone with more intimate info jumps in.

And welcome to the forum!

Cole

Lil-Rokslider
Have you used the website Dark Sky Weather? They have historical weather data (including snowfall) for precise points on a map. So you can look back on the exact location you'll be hunting. I always use it for all my backcountry hunts. Hope that helps!

Good luck plumhuntin. I've been research unit 17 for 2021 season. My plans so far are very simular to yours. Good luck. I'll be very interested to hear how it goes for you.

My buddy and I hunt 17 that way and the main problem/excitement is alot of the time it's raining at camp and snowing where we hunt. So you will sometimes get wet getting in then your putting on frozen clothes and boots the next morning. There are huge areas of no game, pray for weather. Get excited/scared just thinking about it.

You must be ready for snow. We have had significant snow for the Sept 15 opener, and last year almost could not get camp out Oct 15. I needed 4 chains and a bigger truck to break a trail out. The road is not maintained, and there is no cell service if you have a problem. I would invest in at least 1 satellite messenger (Inreach) in case you have a problem. Also, always bring a saw. The eastern half has seen a lot of fire, and it is common for significant trees to fall across the road.

Attachments

• IMG_9968.jpeg
    IMG_9968.jpeg
    277.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_8390.jpeg
    IMG_8390.jpeg
    204 KB · Views: 44

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
I live in the panhandle but hunted 14 and 18 in consecutive years and had snow both years and in the same seasons saw 50+ temps during the day. The temps will likely drop below freezing every night. October weather in Idaho as whole is a bit unpredictable so plan for the worst and hope for the best... and bring a saw, cold fronts bring wind and wind knocks over trees...

We hunted unit 17 this year with a guide in the middle of September and no luck. Did not see a lot of elk sign.

Zagreus

FNG
We hunted unit 17 this year with a guide in the middle of September and no luck. Did not see a lot of elk sign.
Thanks buddy we went deep into the back country to WoodsHump and traveled all over the southern central portion of the unit using Hells Half Acre as our parking place. This was my first Elk Hunt that I jumped on when someone dropped out of a group. Had I done my research before I committed to fill the dropout space instead of after, I probable would not have done the hunt. If you look at the heard cow versus bull density numbers and the permits issued versus permits punched with the Idaho Department of Fish and Game for Unit 17 going back 5 years it is crystal clear. The numbers alone went form a pretty steady 20% of all tags issued actually punched down to 12% last year and now i bet it will be 10% this year based upon what I saw and heard killed versus permits issued. I researched this place inside and out using Idaho fish and game, forestry, mapped with onx, google earth and every article, forum like this and whatever else I could find. From what I learned, I can say I went into the hunt expecting a wonderful camping trip on horseback deep into the Frank Church and Selway bitterroot wilderness. That is exactly what happened as this is beautiful country and I had a great camping trip. Not sure why the Elk were not there as we did not see or hear a single one in peak rut. There are many different reasons given from wolf and bear predator's, noxious weeds choaking out forage grasses and other forage, to Elk not wanting to live in steep and deep unforgiving country when there are other more forgiving alternatives close bye. The only concentration of Elk I did see and hear killed where in the first week of opening season right after the rains put out most of the fires. I won't say the outfitter by name other than they were absolutely terrific and worked very hard and our results were not as a result of anything other than there was no elk there. If I go back, it will be for a camping trip with fishing in the alpine lakes and headwaters of the Selway and other rivers. But it wont be to hunt Elk unless I have a free tag on opening day.