2020 Mathews VXR review, live on the fly!

I just bought the VXR and it is a huge upgrade from my halon 32 that I previously had. Easier to pull and hold, as well as being quiet.

chasewild

WKR
I'm in the market for a new bow as well. I finally had the chance to shoot the VXR 31.5 and the Traverse back to back for about an hour this past weekend. I went in really wanting to love the VXR and I left really loving the Traverse more. Don't get me wrong, they're both very fine bows in their own right, but like the gentleman above posted the Traverse was just a little smoother, a little better brace (for me) and just held better for me. That being said you really can't go wrong with either.

Literally exact same experience a couple weeks ago. I couldn't articulate why the Traverse felt better, but it did -- the hold and the roll-over just said "take me to bed and or lose me forever." That VXR just looks so good though -- with the finish and the length of the riser, I wanted to love that bow. But I ordered the traverse. For reference I came from a Elite E35.

Yote1

Lil-Rokslider
Love mine! But didn’t enjoy the 3 month wait to get it!!

Yote1

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered it first week of December and received it first week of March.

HDwild

WKR
5b0c2f4aeeaf5d3466ef655285e11680.jpg
Les just finished up his on-the-fly VXR review and it's a good one!

Mathews VXR Bow Review

I'm kicking myself for buying my Powermax like a month before these were announced. Just shot one the other day and now I'm scheming of ways to buy one without my wife murdering me! haha

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Well it took a while to get my VXR 31.5 and then a bit longer to get a tophat kit shipped so I could finish tuning it, but I have to say I'm very happy with how it is shooting so far. I ordered a 75 lb. 30" draw and I measure it at 77 lbs. The grip feels quite a bit different than the Hoyt Rx1 I've been shooting the last couple of years and I was worried about torquing it too easily, but that doesn't seem to be a problem. 530 grain arrow going 285 fps. So far so good!

I have a VXR 31.5 and love it! I am not someone that buys a new bow every year and my last bow was 7 years old, but after shooting all the different bow brands I liked the Mathews VXR the best.

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Two months after first setting up my VXR 31.5 and shooting it almost daily, I'm really happy with it. I did have to retune it a few weeks ago, but got bare shafts shooting well at 50 again. I'm impressed with the minimal vibration at the shot and how quiet it is for 75 lbs. Holds well also.

Played with a VXR 31.5 today. Same speeds with 80% and 85% letoff on 75# mods. The bow was only scaling 73#, took 4 twists of the cables to get it to 75#. 28.5" mods and was drawing right at 28.75". Little disappointed with the speeds, not bad at all, just thought it might do a little better.

75# 28.5" (actual 28.75)
545 grain arrow- 268 fps
491 grain arrow-282 fps
445 grain arrow-294 fps

Played with a VXR 31.5 today. Same speeds with 80% and 85% letoff on 75# mods. The bow was only scaling 73#, took 4 twists of the cables to get it to 75#. 28.5" mods and was drawing right at 28.75". Little disappointed with the speeds, not bad at all, just thought it might do a little better.

75# 28.5" (actual 28.75)
545 grain arrow- 268 fps
491 grain arrow-282 fps
445 grain arrow-294 fps

that calculates out to 343 IBO assuming 20 grains for loop and peep. Hard to expect more than that.

that calculates out to 343 IBO assuming 20 grains for loop and peep. Hard to expect more than that.

I was hoping the cam was a little more efficient with the heavier arrows. Bear Kuma was 2 fps slower with the same arrows and it was sitting 5# lighter on draw weight. I can double check the draw length on the Kuma but I think it measures out to the same 28.75. I know it was setting on the same draw length, can't remember what it draws exactly.

Fullfan

WKR
Great review. My current bow is a 2007 Bowtech Allegiance. Took it to the shop to have the serving replaced. And ended up shooting the VRX 28. Only took two shots. My bow is set at 63lbs, the VXR was set at 67lbs. The VXR was smoother and easier to draw. Mine should be at the shop today or tomorrow. Good thing my bud owns the shop. He said out the door will, be around 1400 ready to hunt w a Dzn FMJ's.