2020 - Montana and South Dakota

hobbes

WKR
I may have already posted some of this, but here is a full recap of my 2020 spring turkey season.
I did a little bit of videoing this year while hunting on my own. I’m not much of a videographer and don’t have the latest and greatest in equipment. In most cases, I don’t have the turkey on camera for the shot. However, I included video links if you are interested in seeing what I did get. The first video is probably about as good as it gets.

IMG_20200601_170345_01.jpg

Montana

I started the season off on Sunday afternoon of the opening weekend here in Montana. It went better than I expected.

Ow6GKW.jpg

GvTa5y.jpg

Last edited:
OP
H

hobbes

WKR
I hunted the following weekend with my two sons. We don’t get to hunt together as often as I’d like.

OBVs77.jpg

mx9ayX.jpg

Z3L4CJ.jpg

QixGYD.jpg

nPwvYn.jpg

PQZeJO.jpg

Yard birds:
7Exfmu.jpg

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
I hunted a couple afternoons during the week but didn’t turn up anything. I also got rained out over a weekend. I did take time to load up some ammo since I was running low.

xLCeP3.jpg

My next hunt was with my pastor (and friend) for a few days. We do at least one turkey hunt together here in MT every year. It rained us out of our spot on our first morning (Monday).

w4KtdI.jpg

The wind picked up (that actually helped for once) and dried things out with a little sun. We were able to get into the area that we wanted to hunt that afternoon.

JSdtLI.jpg

6eT2Tm.jpg

I cooked up some steaks that night since it was his birthday. We also had a pretty good breakfast of leftover steak with eggs and potatoes the following morning.

PobCNS.jpg

IWVXuT.jpg

We called in a pair of jakes that were following around a couple hens before breakfast. We slept off too much breakfast then headed back out later that afternoon. We found a bird that wanted to play late that evening and Pastor killed this bird at 8 PM.

qXN06T.jpg

xjthJs.jpg

I called in a flock of several jakes and a couple two year olds the next morning (our last morning). I wasn’t completely sure they were two year olds but finally decided to shoot one. It didn’t really matter what they were because one of my handloads misfired and shot barely made it out of the barrel. I was done at that point because my barrel was plugged with the plastic wad.

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
My next hunt was with my oldest son. He’d not killed a tom in a few years due to work and school and you name it, so he was pretty happy when this good looking bird strutted in with a jake and a hen late in the morning.

9ibbmI.jpg

hnY8ek.jpg

I blocked out a feature that makes this area recognizable to locals:

We headed for a local diner that had just reopened.

Yvkcni.jpg

We got on another flock of birds that afternoon but could not pull them back onto public land after they crossed the fence. Isaac did come across a few morels and a matching set of small whitetail sheds before we drove back home.

8fua1s.jpg

5w9mmD.jpg

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
My next hunt was the last weekend here in MT. I finally killed another tom on the last morning of the MT season.

6A0v4g.jpg

BHaKgp.jpg

tfBjVp.jpg

E8pnZm.jpg

Lion track

CWqno9.jpg

Mule deer dead head. Front forks are chewed off. He didn’t really have back forks but had crazy mass at his bases.

39pWE1.jpg

I roosted a bird that evening, but it turned out to be a flock of jakes.

This last day gobbler took about 5 minutes to call in and kill at the next spot that I stopped. I was somewhat in shock.

u1Gnr9.jpg

LFVHf7.jpg

nUwHHb.jpg

I made a mad run for another region that afternoon for a couple of hours, but could not locate a mid-day bird in the wind. I did find a few more morels and a big elk rub.

RY7ZcJ.jpg

k6ZIEb.jpg

nFmxFs.jpg

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
South Dakota

The previous week I decided that I was going to the SD Black Hills over the Memorial Day weekend, so I’d ordered a tag online as required. The tag showed up in 4 days.

wGzpvJ.jpg

My wife and I arrived later on Friday than what I'd planned, but tried to roost a bird without any luck.

A "new to me" 2012 Tundra that I bought the day before this trip.

BhEJsb.jpg

c6gcJr.jpg

eRyikZ.jpg

The next day started with lightning, wind, and light rain. I didn't hear a peep and didn't really like the area that I was in. It had been burned years before and had a lot of blowdowns that just didn't appeal to me.

OFFeeO.jpg

There were still a few nice looking areas there

VGF4K0.jpg

I did a lot of driving that afternoon looking the region over. During the afternoon it stormed hard complete with hail. I saw two hens the whole day, so I was a little disappointed. I was still digging the Tundra though. :)

OfrrCb.jpg

The next day was much better weather so I picked a couple spots on the map and drove there in the dark. The first two spots turned out to be closed trails that I thought would give me access in my truck, but were going to require almost parking in someone's yard. I moved on and started listening at likely spots. I heard a bird gobbling at the second or third spot that I stopped. He was likely still in the tree, so I started walking a really muddy forest road. I rounded a bend and there sat two cars with four hammocks hanging in the trees. I walked by them on the road and found a "road closed" sign and barricade. I assumed that meant that I was on my own to hunt this bird, but I found a truck parked past the sign. I assumed that the hunter was on the bird and backed out.

I stopped a couple more spots listening then finally decided to hike in behind a gated trail. I heard a bird a short ways in, but it turned out to be jakes and hens. I heard a bird gobble a long ways back after bumping the flock of jakes and hens while trying to move. I climbed up and over a couple ridges then sat and waited to see if he'd sound off again. I didn't wait more than 10 minutes before he gobbled, but still sounded a long way. I dropped down, crossed a small creek, then climbed the next ridge to a big rolling opening with scattered patches of pines.

BIjSXC.jpg

I set up and he started gobbling at anything that I threw at him but wouldn't budge. He moved away from me, so I decided to risk moving up into the shade of another patch of small pines. It looked like I could make it 75 yards or so and stay out of sight before breaking over the hill.

The bird gobbled just before I sat down and was close, closer than I expected, just out below the drop in the terrain. I sat down quick, got the gun up and yelped. The bird gobbled from 50 yards at the most. I waited with gun ready, confident he'd pop into view any second. He didn't disappoint and within seconds I could see the top of his fan moving right to left and angling slightly towards me. I started to see his head just as he cleared a small tree still strutting and drumming. He then did me a favor at 32 yards and came out of strut and stretched his head out to look for the love of his life. He never knew what hit him.

My first Black Hills turkey. I don't plan on it being my last.

nZ8cux.jpg

dmmxlC.jpg

He had a little darker wings than most Merriam's that I've killed. The white bars are usually more prominent in the birds that I kill. It reminded me of an Eastern's primaries. He had also been strutting a lot.

JJHFVo.jpg

I never want to wish that I'd taken more photos, so I stopped uphill in some rocks and took more.

ccAQj2.jpg

GUGdMd.jpg

It was 1.13 miles back to the truck, but I didn’t mind the extra weight.

I needed help getting a photo here, but did the best that I could. I forgot that I could have rigged a tripod in my truck to hold my phone.

JMYBHC.jpg

I could have made a dash across the border to Wyoming and bought a tag, but decided to spend the last couple of days with my wife in the SD Black Hills. I’m sitting here now thinking that if not for my wife’s birthday this weekend, I’d drive to WY and sleep in my truck in one last effort to kill another bird before the end of May. I’m smart enough not to try that though. Ten years ago……... I’d probably have been in trouble.

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
I load 2 3/4" 12 ga with 1 5/8 oz of #8.5 TSS. Load data is from my TSS supplier.