2020 Montana General Elk License Question

Oilfieldmiller

Lil-Rokslider
Myself and 3 other buddies plan to hunt Montana's General Season this fall if we are lucky enough to draw the Big Game Combo. We all purchased a Preference Point last fall so we assumed we'd go into 2020 with just one point apiece (group average of 1).

I just put my application in as the group leader and am getting ready to shoot instructions to the rest of the team with the group number. When I put my application in, it gave me an option to purchase a preference point for $50. This I did. On a the licence itself is a section that states, "Bonus points accumulated through 2020: 2". Does this mean that the point I just purchased, counts (helps) with my 2020 application? So instead of crossing my fingers with 1 point (~60's% area), we'll go into the draw with 2 points and feel even more confident in our chances (assuming the rest of my group purchases the preference point for 2020)?

Several of us hunted elk in Wyoming in 2018 but this is the first time applying in Montana so not quite as familiar with the draw. Thanks in advance!!!

Pgohil

WKR
Big difference between bonus points and preference points. You should have gotten a preference point last year, and bought another one this year giving you two which should almost guarantee you a draw.

bonus points are squared and used for number of entries into the limited entry drawings. Two completely separate drawings. You have to draw a general tag before you're eligible for a LE tag.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
Oilfieldmiller

Oilfieldmiller

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for explanation. I knew the bonus points were only for the limited draws but the verbiage on the license threw me off. Good to know we’re going in with 2 points instead of 1 though. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not positive how it works for nonresidents but I know that for us residents the bonus point you buy in the current year is not applied to this year’s draw. If you don’t draw you carry the purchased point to next year. If you do draw you burn that point

Wapiti1

WKR
Any point purchased this year is applied in following years, either preference or bonus. That is the same for res and non-res.

The draw works like this. They draw all general tags in the first round with 75% going to preference point holders, and the rest being truly random. All 17,000 elk tags (or what the cap is) are distributed in that draw. Then they draw the Limited Entry permits and apply bonus points.

At this point, anyone that marked their application to turn back the general tag if the LE was unsuccessful surrenders their general tag. That tag then goes into a second drawing pool, and the next in line unsuccessful general tag applicant gets it. They go through this until all surrendered general tags are given out.

Now, some will surrender after this drawing, and those will be sold as excess along with anything not distributed above.

Last year, it worked out that you had something like a much higher chance of getting a general tag due to turnbacks in the LE drawing. The statistics are for first round only, and don't reflect the added chances from turn backs.

Jeremy

fatlander

WKR
A lot of misinformation here.

The point you just bought goes to this years application. You have two preference points.

I found it odd that the print out MT sent me said bonus instead of preference. I checked myFWP and confirmed two preference points. Called FWP and the rep confirmed I have two preference points. You also have two preference points.

You’re going hunting in MT this year, good luck!

OP
Oilfieldmiller

Oilfieldmiller

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone for the info. Takeaway is that we’re in better shape that we first thought and also, no matter what...... we’ve got Colorado to fall back on so we will be Hunting!!

Good luck to everyone this fall and God Bless!!

I’m not positive how it works for nonresidents but I know that for us residents the bonus point you buy in the current year is not applied to this year’s draw. If you don’t draw you carry the purchased point to next year. If you do draw you burn that point

I'm new to hunting Montana too so I looked it up and here is what is says about preference points at the Montana Fish and game website:
"The application deadline is Sept. 30 at 5 p.m. Preference points purchased at the time of application are awarded prior to the drawing. "

What that says to me is if you purchase a preference point prior to the drawing it good for the same year. But if you purchase after the drawing there is no way of course for it to be applied since the drawing is over so is good for Next year?

Here is a Note from the website about bonus points: "Note: You cannot apply and purchase bonus points in the same year. " I'm not absolutely sure that means if you purchase a bonus point prior to the draw that it cannot be applied to the draw but that is what it sounds like? Maybe someone can definitely explain that?

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
A bonus point purchased while applying for the 2020 season doesn’t go towards the 2020 draw

Attachments

• BEFEB13C-82C4-4EDF-86FC-F4418A3D55CA.jpeg
    BEFEB13C-82C4-4EDF-86FC-F4418A3D55CA.jpeg
    86.6 KB · Views: 22

fatlander

WKR
A bonus point purchased while applying for the 2020 season doesn’t go towards the 2020 draw

The OP didn’t buy a bonus point. He bought a preference point, and his license said bonus points, just as mine did. I called FWP and verified they’re preference points and not bonus points.

Preference points can be used in the application year if bought at the time of application.

Read my post above, I’ve gone over what happened.

I feel like I'm being fed Montana draw a little piece at a time and even though I think I've see all the pieces it's still not totally clear in my mind. I'll probably just buy what they offer me as far as preference and bonus points and hope I end up with a tag.