2020 Montana Nonresident Big Game Combination Odds

I'm not in it for the deer/elk combo, just the deer combo for this year. I'm assuming the same applies about the draw? So if I don't draw in the first go around, the state automatically takes care of it with the licenses that are turned back in? And if I still don't hear anything then I need to keep an eye on when the leftovers possibly go on sale? Or is there something I need to do after the first go around?

Wapiti1

WKR
Adam, Yes on all counts. Last year you had a 74% chance for the deer combo. The main caveat is the LE permit turn back tags for deer. MT doesn't have nearly as many of those as they do elk. It isn't a giant deer state so most are going to be used as general tags. Just something to keep in mind.

Jeremy

OP
H

Hort

FNG
It looks like the Elk/Deer Combo draw will take place the week of April 20th. When do they open up the returned General Elk tags for the first come, first served purchase? Does this take place online, OTC or via phone?

Shrek

WKR
Yeah, I had already bought my Sportsman's pack in Idaho so I've got tags for everything. They sent us an internal memo like the 20th of February that parts were being quarantined in port, then they ran an article in the local paper saying they weren't begging affected by the virus. Now we just got another memo saying it may be 3-5 months before parts are gonna arrive. They can't deny that in the papers anymore lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Sneaky , if you don’t mind who do you work for that cannot get parts ?

are the combo tags good for the whole state or just regions? I usually have an outfitter apply for me. This year he applied but he maybe over booked so wanted to know if i can hunt sw montana vice nw for example.

Riplip

WKR
Combo tag is good for the entire state with the exception of those districts that are designated limited entry, in where you would need a permit to hunt.

It looks like the Elk/Deer Combo draw will take place the week of April 20th. When do they open up the returned General Elk tags for the first come, first served purchase? Does this take place online, OTC or via phone?
Online, and make sure you have it partially filled out and ready to purchase when they open. They were gone in minutes last year.

OP
H

Hort

FNG
Online, and make sure you have it partially filled out and ready to purchase when they open. They were gone in minutes last year.
Someone mentioned the first week of May. Do we know a day and what time this starts? I am sure it is wild! Wondering if there will be more returned tags this year with folks losing their jobs and not being able to work?

OP
H

Hort

FNG
Well, I was not one of the lucky ones. I was not sucessful in drawing a nonresident big game combo license. So I will try my luck at purchasing one of the returned tags in May.

This will be my first attempt to apply for a Montana Nonresident Big Game Combination License. I was thinking on pay the extra $50 for a preference point. Does anyone know how many people applied last year? Does having just one preference point help? I missed out on purchasing other point last September.
What are my odds of getting a license?

I bought the preference point and a bonus point. This was my first time applying for the Montana Nonresident Combo License and fortunately I drew the combo tag. So maybe buying the preference point helped? Probably didn't hurt since I drew except to my wallet.

Elk97

WKR
Anyone that got the combo receive their tags yet? I thought they were going to be mailed out by now but haven't seen them yet.

204guy

WKR
I got mine. Printed on a sheet of regular printer paper. Making 100 copies right now :unsure:.

I got mine on regular paper. Gonna make copies and laminate a few

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Blows my mind how they charge so much for a tag, yet say that printing on waterproof paper costs too much. Last time I hunted Montana I paid the extra money at the sporting goods store and had them reprint mine on the waterproof paper. I don't even think you have that option anymore.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk