2020 Montana's Print Your Own Tag Explanation

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
The first week of Montana’s 2020 licensing year was messy and stressful for all involved. When I saw the wave of frustration hit social media, I knew that I wanted to talk to the Fish, Wildlife and Parks (FWP) and get some answers for the hunting public. I scheduled an interview with Dillon Tabish, the Regional Information & Education Program Manager for Region 1. I had two main questions: What is the reason for the recent changes and why have there been so many problems with the roll out?

(If you want to skip the details, the main answers for both questions are as follows. The current system has been outdated for several years and we will continue to struggle until the new system comes online in 2022. For specific glitches and frustrations see “Glitches and Quirks” at the end of the post.)

The Backstory
In 2002, Montana FWP hired a 3rd party company to develop the Automatic Licensing System (ALS). The ALS system rolled out in 2004 and became their core business system. This allowed FWP and their vendors to process and sell licenses, tags, applications, etc. The system included “tag printers” that would immediately print our tags at the time of purchase. The tag printers were custom built to interface with the ALS program.

As time passed, technology moved forward and the FWP business structure changed. Products were added to the system. For example, Hunter’s Education Registration became avail online. Since, the current system wasn’t designed to handle these new products, I.T. developed patches to allow the various systems and programs to interface and work together. Patching new tech into old tech did solve problems in some cases but also caused problems in other cases. Essentially, the current system is limited in its ability to be propped up.

The Automatic Licensing System started to experience partial and temporary crashes. The actual hardware in the printer began to break down. Since they were custom made printers and since they are as old as dinosaurs, FWP was unable to find technical support or replacement parts. As a result, Montana began to lose license providers.

In 2019, the printers failed in a big way and the lettering on the tags quickly began to fade. An effort was put underway to reprint faded tags. Not only was this an inconvenience for the public and the FWP, the re-print costs were substantial. After 16 years of wear and tear the system struggles to function.

Also in 2019, the FWP proposed legislation for a new system. The legislation approved $10,000,000. They are currently in the “quiet period” as the government is accepting 3rd party bids for the new system. As a result, details are limited. The new program will be called “Explore MT” and is expected to go live in 2022.

Glitches and Quirks
The following are a list of specific questions I asked during the interview. The answers come from me, (Howard Mee) and the information I learned. These are not quotes from the interview.

Why do I have to print my own tags?
In my opinion, it was a creative way to help people get the products that they need, while addressing the loss of vendors and the decrepit printer problems. Hopefully, the bumps in the road will get smoothed out sooner than later.
Everyone still has the option to go to a license provider just as they always have. The only difference in 2020 is that you can immediately print your tag when you buy online instead of waiting for it to arrive in the mail.
The FWP also said there was a request from the public to provide this option and it will continue to be an option when Explore MT comes online. It seems to me, like the FWP is trying to make things more current and convenient. In 2020, hunters can keep an electronic version of their licenses on their smart phone. The only thing you legally have to print and keep in your possession is your carcass tag. I’ll be printing everything, since I don’t trust my phone battery!

If I’m an out of state hunter. I don’t have the option to go to a local provider. If my only realistic option is to print my own tags, then why do I have to pay a convenience fee?
If we do not want to pay this fee, we have the option to pay by “e-check” (Routing number & Account number). The convenience fee is actually a credit card merchant fee. When online sales are processed, the FWP has to pay a 3% fee to the company that processes the charges. They should rename the fee in my opinion.

I’m worried about fraud. What is the FWP doing to prevent people from printing as many tags as they want?
There are always going to be people who try to cheat the system. There are some safety measures in place. Each tag has a unique alpha numeric combination that is tied to your personal ALS number. Once you use the link to print your tags/licenses, the system marks those tags as printed and you will not be able to reprint that tag without calling the FWP. The reprint option is processed by a human and reprints are tracked. The watermark on the original is designed to prevent people from making photocopies. Apparently, the watermark will distort when copied. If you experience a printer error or run out of ink or have some other problem while printing, contact the FWP immediately. (See below for contact info)

I wasn’t given the option to opt out of the wolf mitigation fee.
I wasn’t given the option to opt out of donating to Hunters Against Hunger.
I’m active military and I’m struggling with Return Home to Hunt option.
All of these seem to be browser plugin related issues. If you have one of these issues call or notify the MT FWP. You will get the refund if you were inappropriately charged. The front office records each issue and is sending the report to I.T. in real time. If you call when you find a problem/glitch/issue you are actually helping!

If I have frustrations or question who should I call?
FWP Licensing Office in Helena (406-444-2950)
FWP Front Desk in Region 1 (406-752-5501)
Or look them up online at www.fwp.mt.gov

Final Thoughts
Before I got off the phone, I asked Mr. Tabish if he had anything he would like to add. He did express that the FWP is aware that these are huge changes and that they are stressful for everyone. They would like to share their appreciation to the public who has been very patient and respectful throughout the process.

“I wish there had been more time to develop. Our true intent was to make it easier. Explore MT comes out in two more years. Eventually, everything will be easier and more convenient.” – Dillon Tabish

For more information go to www.fwp.mt.gov

They have a pile of information. I have no desire to regurgitate all the info. My hope with this post is to fill in the information that may be missing. Hopefully, this clears up some of our questions!

dtrkyman

WKR
Traveling around and getting license and tags in 8 or so states, seems most should just call Missouri and use their system if they are going the e tag route. Simple system, tag can be punched without cell service, it has a record of all past licenses and tags as well as punched tags.

Most places I have my turkey registered with the state before I leave the field, typically checked in before I even take a step with a bird.

I bought a turkey permit online prior to going to Michigan, with covid and everything this past spring I was getting a tag before driving for hours and finding out I couldn't get one locally. Buy it on,ine and head out.

Get to Michigan and hit a local wally world, it will not let me print the tag or buy any other associated license, my hunt starts the next morning, skip the morning hunt and call dnr, total cluster to get the tag I bought refunded and then get a new tag.

netman

WKR
d I agree with Missouri’s way of doing their license. It’s smooth and flawless.
I recently got invited to hunt deer in the Louisiana bayou. The hunt is in January. My cousins told me to load the F&W app which I did.
It allows you to check in/out on state property. So instead of driving to a check station and filling out a daily use card , driving back to hunting area, hunt and then drive back to check station and turn in my daily use card I can now check in and out through their app.
That’s a really great thing for states that have the daily use cards that must be in your hands while hunting.