2020 Moose Hunt in Pictures

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Great pictures of a great adventure guy. I know that Jake is trying to build-up stick time.

Calling moose to camp is THE way for me to do it these days...I've packed enough over the years. Really cool that you got that Wolverine! In thirty-five years of active hunting up here I've only seen three when in the field hunting, and those situations didn't offer a shot. Did it have a musky (almost skunky) odor to it?

...and really smart to add-on the fishing time when you get some holes in your schedule...late season fishing is the best!

Mt Al

WKR
Really fantastic write-up and great pictures. Sounds like a dream trip. Everything was going so well, enjoying the pictures and writing....then I saw the UM Griz hat on the fishing part and tumbled into despair. My daughter went there, plus many great friends, plus have an employee in a UM building - so I got over it quickly.

In over 40 years in the mountains in Montana I've seen one wolverine, not in the mountains but eating road kill while on a very early morning drive to hunt. Amazing to see. Also saw clear tracks of two wolverines after a fresh snowstorm in the Spanish Peaks. Congrats on seeing and getting one and hope you share pictures of the mount with the moose antler down the road.

Awesome hunt! Thanks for sharing.

Awesome adventure. Thanks for taking the time to document the story and share it with us on Rokslide. Congratulations on a nice bull and wolverine.

OP
W

Wapiti1

WKR
Wow - that things looks like the spitting image of my Cabela's 4-man XPG Expedition Tent.

Congrats on a great trip and great company. Sure missed that country this year.
Funny you mention that. Jake's dad has the 4 man and we opted for the 6. As you state, they are identical if you don't have something to compare to for scale.
Great pictures of a great adventure guy. I know that Jake is trying to build-up stick time.

Calling moose to camp is THE way for me to do it these days...I've packed enough over the years. Really cool that you got that Wolverine! In thirty-five years of active hunting up here I've only seen three when in the field hunting, and those situations didn't offer a shot. Did it have a musky (almost skunky) odor to it?

...and really smart to add-on the fishing time when you get some holes in your schedule...late season fishing is the best!
He did smell, but not strong. I suspect it was the fact that he had been swimming a lot searching for bones. Badgers that I've killed smelled stronger. It was only the second wolverine that Jake has had a client take.

Thanks. If there is fishing to do, I'll try to do it. One only gets to go to some placed only so often. Make the most of the time when you are there. Once my wife grants permission, of course.

Jeremy

OP
W

Wapiti1

WKR
Really fantastic write-up and great pictures. Sounds like a dream trip. Everything was going so well, enjoying the pictures and writing....then I saw the UM Griz hat on the fishing part and tumbled into despair. My daughter went there, plus many great friends, plus have an employee in a UM building - so I got over it quickly.

In over 40 years in the mountains in Montana I've seen one wolverine, not in the mountains but eating road kill while on a very early morning drive to hunt. Amazing to see. Also saw clear tracks of two wolverines after a fresh snowstorm in the Spanish Peaks. Congrats on seeing and getting one and hope you share pictures of the mount with the moose antler down the road.

Awesome hunt! Thanks for sharing.
The two wolverine that I've seen previously were both on the front. One in a place called Pretty Prairie just into the Bob Marshall and the other near Benchmark out of Augusta. Sorry, I'm a Griz fan. I went to MT Tech, though. Thank you for the kind words.

Jeremy

hobbes

WKR
Awesome write up and photos. I'll probably never get the chance to do that, but it sure is fun to read about it. Congrats on the bull and wolverine.

Shoot

FNG
Thats a trip. You have many great pics, but the best has to be the dead moose with tent in the background. Unreal.

And that endeth my trip. Alaska produced once again, and I enjoyed a lot of luck that I am not entitled to. A big thanks to Jake. He is a good guy and fun to spend time with. I'll get back up to hunt with him at some point in the future.

Gear wise, I took a lot more than I used, but it could have gone the other way.

My rifle was a stainless .300 Win Mag that I built a few years ago as my perfect mountain rifle. Ruger action, exaliber barrel at 24", carbon fiber and kevlar stock, topped with a Swaro 3-10 Z3 scope. All in it weighs 7.5 pounds and is all I want in a good rifle. Loads were handloads with 196gr Badlands Bulldozer bullets. I'd like to report more on them, but a .22 would have handled the moose, and the wolverine wasn't much of a test other than needing some accuracy. Still, I'm pretty sure they are a good bullet.

I took a Seek pack with 6300 cube fortress bag, but never needed it. Had I needed it, that would have worked well, but I'm not complaining.

Dryft wading pants were only used later while fishing. My other gear was what I took for sheep in 2017 and is mixed brands with vairous purposes. You may note that I am not a camo wearer. Mostly because, I see no need and if I get done early, it's easier to wear green pants to dinner than camo, IMO.

Hope you enjoyed the report and photos. I know I enjoyed making the memories. If you think you want to go, do it. Plan it and go. It's worth it.

Jeremy
Fantastic adventure and great photos. Thanks for posting.