2020 Nevada typical buck

Foldem

WKR
Hey guys, I drew a pretty good Nevada archery deer tag this year. With having a mountain goat tag here in CO that I'm DIY'ing and being primarily a high country deer hunter it was a no-brainer to hire Mogollon Rim Outfitters to guide me. My guide was Matt Kelley, he's a top notch hard working guy and he and Greg Krogh put a ton of scouting time in to find this giant buck. Matt and I were able to get in close on day 5 and seal the deal. I'm beyond happy with the whole experience and he's my dream typical. I'm already itching to get back to the desert to chase bucks again. @robby denning

IMG_5071.JPG
IMG_5055.JPG
IMG_5139.JPG

Mount pics added. Jeff Baird did an amazing job. Best velvet job I've seen.

4.jpg3.jpg2.jpg

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Great looking velvet on that buck!

I wish there was some way to preserve that full look. they always dry out and shrink a bit. Someone should develop a way to replace the blood inside with something like silicone to keep the velvet flush

slim9300

WKR
Great looking velvet on that buck!

I wish there was some way to preserve that full look. they always dry out and shrink a bit. Someone should develop a way to replace the blood inside with something like silicone to keep the velvet flush

Do you find freeze drying to be the best method of preservation? I lost the velvet on my Sitka Blacktail a few years back and it sucked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
Nice buck!

This is one the velvet thing. I've heard of some taxidermist flocking antlers to replace velvet. They flock duck decoys and it makes em fuzzy.

Nice buck!

This is one the velvet thing. I've heard of some taxidermist flocking antlers to replace velvet. They flock duck decoys and it makes em fuzzy.

I don't like the flocked look, usually just looks wrong to me. Also they don't look full. My thought is that when they flock it they go straight to the antler. If you have ever stripped velvet off you know there is a pretty thick skin layer the velvet grows on. So why don't they put a thin "skin" layer on, maybe out of latex? or something the fake velvet would stick to to make it look like real velvet/skin? Any taxidermist out there who knows?

Great buck. I got to tag along with Greg and Jeff on my 2016 24 tag. Not a better crew out there!

Congrats!!!

Fowler530

WKR
Congrats on an awesome buck!! Looking forward to hearing about your upcoming goat hunt! Thanks for sharing! (y)

I just finished a velvet buck and used acetone to set the velvet. I brushed it out with a toothbrush to get it to stand back up. After it is set a shampoo it and blow dry it. Works out pretty good

OP
Foldem

Foldem

WKR
Thanks guys. The velvet was injected, I’m excited to see how it turns out. My favorite velvet mount I have was freeze dried but it wasn’t in the logistics for this one with how hot it was and where I was.