2020 Newfoundland Moose Hunt

You guys are getting me excited for my hunt. I was planning on taking my First Lite Seak jacket and pants. My biggest lean towards driving is the customs in Toronto been through it multiple times and missed 2 flights . Was fine when I took my bow but nightmare with a rifle. Missed flights twice waiting in line. How is the drive there?
First off, welcome to RS!! There is a wealth of knowledge on this web forum. You can just search through the threads and find a lot of useful information pertaining to your hunt in NF. Enjoy!!
You are going to get varied opinions on driving vs. flying. I flew when I went there and to be honest, I would probably not do that again. I realize that it is a HUGE savings when you factor in the value of time. However, after you balance everything out, it comes out being a wash IMO. The 'elephant in the room' is looking right at you when it comes to the drive. It is a long one for sure, and when you are going at it alone, it can be daunting. The bonus part of it is having your own freedom when you are there. I got done hunting early and was flown out of camp the next morning. I had no place to go other than their main lodge and had nothing to do. Had I had my own truck, I could have driven around the island and took my own time getting back home. At the end of the day, you need to value your time and what it is worth. It turned out to not be worth it for me after having my luggage lost in Toronto, re-booking fees for my flight to come home, freight for meat, freight for antlers, etc. It is different for every person and all I can do is give you my $.02 on the situation. You will have a great time and are in store for a wonderful adventure!!

tntrker

WKR
I'm heading up there Oct 3rd-10th next year. I live in SC and want to drive just because of the hassles I heard in Toronto. My friend in Tn is going as well and we've driven out to Montana together elk and Mule deer hunting. I've crunched the numbers and with roughly 6 days driving time total for me, fuel, hotels, ferry, etc, I'm hoping for a little luck while flying into Toronto. Round trip ticket for $1400 plus another 1k estimated for meat/rack shipped back via processor, being well rested, 6 less days having to take...Just looking at flights now for the same time/lane, I'm hoping 3 hr layover in Toronto will be enough for their hassles..

I'm heading up there Oct 3rd-10th next year. I live in SC and want to drive just because of the hassles I heard in Toronto. My friend in Tn is going as well and we've driven out to Montana together elk and Mule deer hunting. I've crunched the numbers and with roughly 6 days driving time total for me, fuel, hotels, ferry, etc, I'm hoping for a little luck while flying into Toronto. Round trip ticket for $1400 plus another 1k estimated for meat/rack shipped back via processor, being well rested, 6 less days having to take...Just looking at flights now for the same time/lane, I'm hoping 3 hr layover in Toronto will be enough for their hassles..
You're kicking the right tires on your guess. The deal in Toronto is critical. It all depends on how many families are immigrating into Canada on that particular day. I am being serious too. When I went through customs at the airport on a Saturday AM., there must have been at least 5 families that were moving to Canada. IT WAS INSANE!! So just beware of that little nugget of info! Otherwise, have a blast and meet new people. I talked to a bunch of people on all my flights that were heading into NF moose hunting. The bummer was that those of us flying into Halifax and onto Deer Lake ended up with no luggage. In fact, my luggage did not get into camp until 4 days after I landed, however......my gun did make make it there. Just another reason why I would drive next time.

PA Hunter

WKR
Curious questions here. Why would someone want to do the New foundland moose Vs. Alaska Moose? Is the hunt cheaper, easier, more difficult? Honest question as I am planning on going after moose in the next few years and am figuring on going to Alaska because the moose are so much bigger. Is there something I am missing?
It’s allot cheaper and more moose in Newfoundland per sq mile but they are smaller Eastern Canadian moose not Alaskan Yukon moose.

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
I've hunted NF twice, I tagged out this year on a mature bull.

I flew the first time and drove the second time. The drive is a bear, but I did it solo from Western North Carolina. I did around 26+/- hours straight once I drove off the ferry, only stoping for gas. It wasn't fun by any means, but I got to see Maine (one state I had not been too) and see some pretty country along the way. I also brought back every ounce of meat, my cape, horns, and a bear hide without spending an arm and a leg on shipping.

If you drive, get a cabin on the ferry. I didn't have one on the way in, but I did on the way home, and it made a world of difference to take a shower and sleep in a bed.

palefty

FNG
My father went to NL twice before passing away. The first time they went 6 for 6. The second time they went 5/6. The guy who didn’t get one missed two somehow. They drove up both times(from south central PA). They always enjoyed the hunt and saw a lot moose as a group. The first time he passed on 6 bulls before killing one. The second time he hunted four days before seeing a bull. To be honest all the guys that went were not in what I would consider stellar shape. They all walked to get ready but most would of been considered overweight and they all managed fine. A good pair of boots or hip boots are must. They were not hunting trophy areas. I believe only 2 of the 11 bulls were over 40”, most were in the low to mid 30s. As far as packs they all only had what I would consider a normal PA deer hunter pack. As other said they loved the guides and everyone they met there. You will have a blast on the hunt, my father was planning a third hunt which I was going to try go along on when he passed, he wouldn’t have gone back a second or third time if he didn’t enjoy the hunt.

tntrker

WKR
I've hunted NF twice, I tagged out this year on a mature bull.

I flew the first time and drove the second time. The drive is a bear, but I did it solo from Western North Carolina. I did around 26+/- hours straight once I drove off the ferry, only stoping for gas. It wasn't fun by any means, but I got to see Maine (one state I had not been too) and see some pretty country along the way. I also brought back every ounce of meat, my cape, horns, and a bear hide without spending an arm and a leg on shipping.

If you drive, get a cabin on the ferry. I didn't have one on the way in, but I did on the way home, and it made a world of difference to take a shower and sleep in a bed.

I've driven to Montana and plan on driving to Wyoming from Upstate SC, but I cannot convince myself to drive to NL next year. I want to soooo bad but just the extra days to and from has me checking the prices on flights since last year. I'm not pulling a 26+ hr like you did, I've done my fair share of those in the past and at my age, it'll take a few days to recover from those.

Brendan

WKR
Everyone has me thinking if I should just book one of these NL hunts. I'm in Boston, so the drive for me is going to be more manageable than most.

Don't have a hunt lined up this year yet and can take the time off. Hmmm....

OP
Joseph2186

Joseph2186

Lil-Rokslider
I agree I've lucked out so far and have only had one bad experience with an outfitter and the problem wasn't with the guides but the other hunters in camp. Just put the time in researching and calling in references both successful and not. If you have to wait a little longer for a better experience its worth the wait.

Trial153

WKR
NL is a great place, cant wait to make another trip. 2022...but worth the wait. Taking my dad on his third hunt there. Wish i could have gotten another spot sooner but it wasnt available

keller

WKR
i have been looking back and forth from alaska to newfoundland at moose hunting.a buddy of mine who is older and not in stellar physical condition whose dream is to moose hunt committed so we booked nl sep 25 to oct 2 2020.making the drive from wi with two guys cabin on the ferry both ends freezer in the truck box. its quite reasonable and only 1 day on each end more vaca to drive.we drove to ak 2 years ago and would do it again in a heartbeat. so heading east this time cant wait. anybody out their be around deer lake corner brook area sep 24 we could get together for a labatts blu and tell stories.

Something with a decent fit and fairly light. LaCrosse for example. I wear muck Boots but they are not suitable for most. Something comfortable for walking on muskeg. I do a great deal of travel in rubber boots so I am used to them. Moose hunting here though doesn't usually involve a great deal of walking if you are using an outfitter. Lots of moose and Black bear. It is starting to look up for woodland caribou as well.

stevevan

WKR
Something with a decent fit and fairly light. LaCrosse for example. I wear muck Boots but they are not suitable for most. Something comfortable for walking on muskeg. I do a great deal of travel in rubber boots so I am used to them. Moose hunting here though doesn't usually involve a great deal of walking if you are using an outfitter. Lots of moose and Black bear. It is starting to look up for woodland caribou as well.
I went 3 years ago. Had a great hunt. It was much more physically demanding than I envisioned. My camp was extremely sparce and reminded me of a sheep hunt I had been on. Plus that "Tuckamore" brush is a killer, Guide and I flew in a copter and were dropped off in the Lewis Mtns with just the gear we took on the flight. Country was rather steep with gorges that were impossible to cross. saw bulls that were impossible to reach since we were on the wrong side. Having said all that I took a dandy at 51+ inches. 10 points to a side and nice wide paddles. As a general statement I would say the rougher and more remote hunts dramatically increase the odds to find the big boys. The fellas that hunted from the Lodge only saw and shot small bulls and a cow. I went solo and drove all the way from the UP of Michigan. Long drive but interesting as it was all new to me. Would I do it again. Defineltly! Maybe next time with a caribou in mind. Two recommendations I would give that I feel are priority. First: Do a flying hunt! Second: Get a cabin for the Ferry ride. Enjoy your hunt.

Yes it can be rough country. Fly in hunts are great. I access the backcountry by freighter canoe.I keep myself in shape by running and training bird dogs on the country for ptarmigan. My advice is to get the most comfortable rubber boot for walking that you can find. Light and tough and good fitting. I am an a quest myself for light good fitting rubber boots. I like mucks but most find the fit too sloppy.I also get only one fall out of them. The tuckamore destroys them. A few years ago I had a pair or Sorel rubber boots with airbob sled. Forestry boots they called them but they no longer make them. Hope you have a great hunt