2020 Newfoundland Moose Hunt

firebird

FNG
Rubber boots and rubber rain gear!

Are you hunting the timber or high tundra?

Watch the Newfies:

They can have 2 hunters to 1 guide.

And do you know if you have a bull tag or any sex? Guides will pressure you to shoot anything. do not expect anything over mid 40s. Chances are even if you fly in the area gets hunted. There are no exclusive guide concessions. And even the fly in spots can or are accessible by roads or Argo trail

Also NFLD is all about maximum numbers of hunters and maximum numbers of moose shot. Quantity not quality

firebird

FNG
If you are driving you’ll be going under quebec,gaspe region. I believe has the highest density of moose in Canada 4-5/km2.

i live in Ontario, hunt moose annually and hunted moose in south west Nfld and gaspe Quebec both twice.

I have to ask because I don't know the answer. What is the advantage of doing a Newfoundland moose hunt over an Alaska hunt? We don't even look at moose that small up here as most of those critters look to be between 38-42 inches or so. Is it cost? I know our moose hunts can be pricy with a DIY Alaska hunt being in the $5,000 to $8,000 range so why choose an Eastern Canada hunt?

Walt

firebird

FNG
I have to ask because I don't know the answer. What is the advantage of doing a Newfoundland moose hunt over an Alaska hunt? We don't even look at moose that small up here as most of those critters look to be between 38-42 inches or so. Is it cost? I know our moose hunts can be pricy with a DIY Alaska hunt being in the $5,000 to $8,000 range so why choose an Eastern Canada hunt?

Walt

A Newfie hunts the same price range!!!

JGRaider

WKR
For most people, I would think a DIY moose hunt in AK would be a great way to kill yourself if you did kill an 1800lb bull. It would take like 15 trips to pack out the meat wouldn't it?

You're also comparing the cost of a DIY with fully guided hunts. Everyone knows there are much bigger bulls in AK but that's beside the point. Haven't you already asked this same question on another thread anyway?

Last edited:

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
It's usually around 8 loads (16 hikes of the distance from the kill-site to the camp)...and six of those will for sure be waaaay heavy!

Add wet ground, marsh, and tundra to the formula and you have an even much more exerting experience than anticipated.

Makes one stop and really think about how far from camp I'm going to take a bull.

Last edited:
No this is the first time asking this question. Guided moose hunts up here will break the bank! 10,000-15,000$

I was hunting with a native guy from the village of Noatak about 20 year ago who told me some sage advise..

"Before you pull that trigger on that moose turn around and look for your boat. Can't see your boat, don't shoot that bull." Being young and dumb I did not listen to that old man on my first moose which was a cow and spent 2 days packing meat back to my boat which was 2/3 of a mile away...Have not made that mistake again and have passed on some really nice bulls because I am older and wiser!

A lot to be said to about wheeler based hunts..

Walt

My buddy and I hunted with Effords for the 2nd time this past fall. We did the fly in trophy hunt the first week and it was well worth the extra money over the regular hunt. Lots of hiking, not an easy hunt by any means but we were rewarded with 2 excellent bulls. Effords is a first class operation and I wouldn't hesitate to book with them again.

Attachments

• DSC01243.JPG
    DSC01243.JPG
    485.7 KB · Views: 87
Thanks, definitely above average for Newfoundland but they are there. Good outfitter and hard working
guides made it possible.

OP
Joseph2186

Joseph2186

Lil-Rokslider
Im doing the same hunt you went on only mine is starting Sept 26th so hopefully I got some luck on my side. That one looks over like its over 50 inches. Did you see any bears? Did you fly up or drive?

Yes, it was 55" and the other was 46" with really big paddles. We did see quite a few bears but didn't go after any
of them. We flew into Deer Lake.

OP
Joseph2186

Joseph2186

Lil-Rokslider
Think I'd be able to chat with you about the hunt? I'm trying to trim the fat out of my pack and what I can expect.

JGRaider

WKR
Joe, congrats! Those are two awesome bulls! I'd be more than thrilled if I could find one close to that. Hopefully things will settle down and we can make out September hunt. I already can't wait.