2020 Newfoundland Moose Hunt

Joseph2186

Lil-Rokslider
Hello all, Just join/ discovered this forum last week and sad that I didn't find it sooner. I'm in south western Pennsylvania and have been hunting since the age of 12 ( 33 yo at this time). I'm making this post to hopefully get some information from some who have hunted the island recently. I have a trophy hunt booked with Effords which I did 3 years ago after all the references have checked out and reading reviews sadly I must go alone as my friends talk big but never jump on-board.

I have been getting in better shape as I already know the terrain is boggy and was told by the outfitter that i will deff be putting the miles on my boots. So I will be as prepared as possible for that. Can anyone tell me what a reasonable expectation would be I was told the average moose they take on this hunt is mid to high 40 with some hitting 50's every year. Can anyone suggest a pack for this hunt? And is there anyone on this forum who has previously hunted with this outfitter that can tell me about their experiences. Thank you all for your time. Joe

Tjwjr89

FNG
I did the fly in hunt this past fall. Had an amazing time. My first word of advice is don't get worried about the lack of prehunt communication. It drove me nuts until I was there and seen how much time they spent flying and prepping all the camps. Our camp, guides, and food was fantastic. The difference in the trophy vs the regular fly in hunt is the herd control. Effords really limits the harvest in trophy hunt areas so you have more moose and better age structure. The trophy hunts are less physically demanding than the fly in just because of the larger herd and low pressure. We went 4 for 4 on our hunt on good bulls. My bull was the largest and what they would consider a trophy camp bull. As far as a pack something high quality and a rifle holster is a huge help. You don't need a framed pack. Be in reasonable shape just for the simple fact there is no (easy) walking. Every step is either sponge or blueberry bush and you use muscles you typically wouldn't. And Newfies are some of the friendliest people you'll ever meat. Are you using the butcher and shipping? If so budget about $1k for that. 6 boxes of meat 7 if you ship your cape as I did.

Attachments

• KIMG1326.JPG
    KIMG1326.JPG
    333.3 KB · Views: 234
  • KIMG1267.JPG
    KIMG1267.JPG
    266.3 KB · Views: 233
  • KIMG1287.JPG
    KIMG1287.JPG
    173.6 KB · Views: 231
  • KIMG1286.JPG
    KIMG1286.JPG
    305.3 KB · Views: 212
  • KIMG1238.JPG
    KIMG1238.JPG
    193.6 KB · Views: 209
  • KIMG1331.JPG
    KIMG1331.JPG
    252.4 KB · Views: 222
  • KIMG1322.JPG
    KIMG1322.JPG
    371 KB · Views: 217
OP
Joseph2186

Joseph2186

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the reply, yea I noticed that I was figuring on talking to him in person at the great american outdoor show in a couple weeks with my questions. Congratulations that looks like a dandy moose. I'd really like to drive up but that would be a long drive alone and it'll be hard for me to get a extra few days on each side of the trip to drive. Ive been hiking up and down hills and plan to walk in the creek near me when it's not frozen to strengthen my legs up more. So would I be on with like a 2000 ci pack because I have that and a 6000ci pack. What week did you go? I know i'm not expecting much as far as accommodations he told me canvas tent which is fine but were you able to do any fishing while there? And did you see any black bear to where it'd be worth the extra money?

Tjwjr89

FNG
I took my 6000 pack just because I knew how comfortable it was to hike with but i could've easily got away with a 2000. I hunted first week of October. I could've shot a bear pretty much every day including one that I'd guess around 700lbs but I've already killed 6 bear and didn't have the urge to shoot one. No fishing as season is closed in the fall. You'll have an awesome time.

Tjwjr89

FNG
I was all set to drive with the fairy booked until I rechecked flight prices and switched. It cost me about $1,000 more to fly and ship but that included the butchering and saved me a few days driving.

OP
Joseph2186

Joseph2186

Lil-Rokslider
Ok awesome, I really appreciate taking the time to put some on my concerns at ease. Maybe Ill pay the 500 ad on Ive only killed 2 black bears nothing over 400lb though. What was you shot distance I have my long range rifle which is a 7mm rem mag and I have a 300 win mag both im comfortable with shooting an animal out to 500 yds. Im also debating on bringing my spotting scope to use with my binos i have 12/50's.

Tjwjr89

FNG
I wouldn't take a spotting scope just good binos. Id be really shocked if you had to shoot over 150 yards. I shot mine at 152 yards behind the ear and that was just due to where he was bedded with his cow. The other 3 guys in camp shot about 75 yards.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Curious questions here. Why would someone want to do the New foundland moose Vs. Alaska Moose? Is the hunt cheaper, easier, more difficult? Honest question as I am planning on going after moose in the next few years and am figuring on going to Alaska because the moose are so much bigger. Is there something I am missing?

OP
Joseph2186

Joseph2186

Lil-Rokslider
I had actually looked into a Manitoba moose hunt but ruled that out as the only meat I would be able to keep would be 50lbs even though the trophy size could be much bigger. Same reason for me with BC worried about bringing the meat back home in an affordable manor. As far as Alaska I'd love and dream of getting an Alaskan moose however the DIY drop guys I talked to will not let me go by myself since none of my friends will spend a dime to go on a hunting trip , and for a guided hunt Im saving for a sheep hunt so I couldn't bring myself to spent 15 to 20k on a decent moose hunt. Those are my personal reasons for picking Newfoundland which I could drive to in a couple days if need be.

adamkolesar

Lil-Rokslider
Curious questions here. Why would someone want to do the New foundland moose Vs. Alaska Moose? Is the hunt cheaper, easier, more difficult? Honest question as I am planning on going after moose in the next few years and am figuring on going to Alaska because the moose are so much bigger. Is there something I am missing?
There's a great thread on the quickly rising cost of DIY AK moose hunts. There are transporters quoting $8500 for flights into Brooks/40 mile Country. Right this minute, guided NL hunts are going for just under 6K.
Yes, the bulls are the smaller Eastern Canadian moose where antlers can be modest. There is a high degree of success, awesome country and a true wilderness experience. As an East coaster, it's a drivable hunt as well. Just depends on your goals. My concern is NL outfitters will take note of the steep rise in AK moose hunts and follow suit.

OP
Joseph2186

Joseph2186

Lil-Rokslider
Right and that's without the costs of getting to AK, the processing of the animal, and getting everything back home also if you have to purchase the equipment that's a added cost and I believe some have trophy fees if you are successful.

adamkolesar

Lil-Rokslider
Right and that's without the costs of getting to AK, the processing of the animal, and getting everything back home also if you have to purchase the equipment that's a added cost and I believe some have trophy fees if you are successful.
That $8500 was transport for Hunter and 55lbs of gear ONLY!!! Yikes.

You're a trophy hunter, I'm a meat hunter, that's why :) But my cow isn't tasting so good, so I may become a trophy hunter ;)

Rs3003

WKR
I went to NL in 2004 and hunted in a hurricane type weather for 2.5 days. Hurricane Ivan followed us from Pittsburgh to NL. Take good boots and rain gear. You’ll have a great time. It’s a 24hr ride to the ferry in N Sidney from Pgh. Our group got 4 out of 6 moose. PM for more info if needed.

OP
Joseph2186

Joseph2186

Lil-Rokslider
What week did you go im sept 25 to october 2nd are the actual hunting days. I figured I'd give myself 2 days on either side for travel. I bought some alphaburly pro's that I've been walking in alto and they actually feel pretty comfortable. I don't think I can PM anyone just yet. Thank you for the great info everyone who's been there seems to love it. Im out in Indiana Pa so not far from you. Was it a pretty easy drive? If I do drive ill be by myself so I'm still weighing flying or making the drive.

RichP

Lil-Rokslider
I also went solo this year. flew out of Philly.Hunted with Moose Valley. Had a blast. Wore lacrosse alpha burly boots and had no problem once I learned where to place my feet. I had a $150 Cabelas back pack That was good till I had to pack out my moose. You want a properly sized backpack with a meat shelf.
I had the moose shipped here to Pa. cost $600 for shipping.
I had such a good time I’m going to book another trip since I have all the gear now.
If your flying do your research. You can PM me and I will tell you what I did. Everything went smooth.
Not the biggest moose up there, but out of the 4 taken it was the second biggest.
More importantly the meat is fabulous,

Attachments

• 1BF37268-30A5-4BE6-932F-FEF326C0FF48.jpeg
    1BF37268-30A5-4BE6-932F-FEF326C0FF48.jpeg
    442.7 KB · Views: 141

Tjwjr89

FNG
Your hunting the same week I did. The rut was just heating up good at that time. I'll second rain gear. I wore a Sitka downpour suit. I see alot of guys recommend rubberized rain gear but there's no way I'd wear that after the amount of hiking we did. Whatever you wear though id strongly suggest something that will block the wind. It cab really get chilly sitting on top of the glassing rocks.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks for the replies on the attraction of NFL vs. AK. It makes sense to me now. Sorry to get this thread side tracked, I probably should have started a different thread.

Fisherhahn

Lil-Rokslider
If you’ve got 2 days on either side of your hunt I’d drive. That’s just me I don’t mind a solo drive. I love having control over all of my gear and meat both ways. I did the drive from western New York. The ferry ride is a good time, met a bunch of nice people. Book a room on the ferry for a place to unwind and sleep. I was the only one in camp not to see a bear and the only one with a tag. I shot a 40” bull, couple other guys shot small bulls and one cow. I’d go back in a heartbeat and I feel it is rugged but a trip my wife could handle with a little prep. A small day pack was all I needed, guide packed rack for me and they picked up the meat where we quartered it up in a helicopter.

OP
Joseph2186

Joseph2186

Lil-Rokslider
You guys are getting me excited for my hunt. I was planning on taking my First Lite Seak jacket and pants. My biggest lean towards driving is the customs in Toronto been through it multiple times and missed 2 flights . Was fine when I took my bow but nightmare with a rifle. Missed flights twice waiting in line. How is the drive there?