2020 Newfoundland Moose Hunt

Have all you guys hunted with Effords, or other outfitters that you could recommend?. I'm looking to do this hunt in 2021 and looking for the names of some reputable outfitters to research.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, so if it is deemed inappropriate, let me know, accept my apologies and I'll start a new thread.

I have hunted with Effords twice and would highly recommend them. Top shelf organization and he flies his own plane to get you in and out of camp.

Objee

FNG
I did the fly in hunt this past fall. Had an amazing time. My first word of advice is don't get worried about the lack of prehunt communication. It drove me nuts until I was there and seen how much time they spent flying and prepping all the camps. Our camp, guides, and food was fantastic. The difference in the trophy vs the regular fly in hunt is the herd control. Effords really limits the harvest in trophy hunt areas so you have more moose and better age structure. The trophy hunts are less physically demanding than the fly in just because of the larger herd and low pressure. We went 4 for 4 on our hunt on good bulls. My bull was the largest and what they would consider a trophy camp bull. As far as a pack something high quality and a rifle holster is a huge help. You don't need a framed pack. Be in reasonable shape just for the simple fact there is no (easy) walking. Every step is either sponge or blueberry bush and you use muscles you typically wouldn't. And Newfies are some of the friendliest people you'll ever meat. Are you using the butcher and shipping? If so budget about $1k for that. 6 boxes of meat 7 if you ship your cape as I did.
Looks like Cochran Pond Camp got a face lift... but the green shack looks the same.

Attachments

• 20180916_144204.jpg
    20180916_144204.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 41
  • indian head mountain.jpg
    indian head mountain.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

PA Hunter

WKR
Curious questions here. Why would someone want to do the New foundland moose Vs. Alaska Moose? Is the hunt cheaper, easier, more difficult? Honest question as I am planning on going after moose in the next few years and am figuring on going to Alaska because the moose are so much bigger. Is there something I am missing?
Yes much cheaper and you have to hunt with a guide on Newfoundland as a non resident but still cheaper and high success.

I hunted with Parsons Pond in 1993. Shot a 38" bull and a decent Caribou. I think Caribou tags now might be harder to get, not sure but there are far fewer now than when I went. I flew from Allentown Pa into Boston, then to Halifax then into Deer Lake. From Deer Lake it was a 1 hour copter ride to a nice camp. I was the only hunter in camp most of that week, so I ate really well. The guides wife was the cook...and she could cook. A hunter from WV came in on my 4th day there and the next day he shot the biggest bou I ever seen with a ML..the rack was huge in comparison to the 100 I seen up until then. The moose were just coming into rut and I missed a big bull on the 3rd day...at like 50 yards...bull fever. I made up for it on the last day though. I flew 5 large 70 pound boxes of boned-out meat home as excess baggage for 50 bucks...you wont do that today. I hade a great time there and the guided combo hunt was $2975. I thought that was a lot of money..its funny to think about that today. Just for comparison, a guided Alaskan Dall sheep hunt was $6000 at the time.

fred14462

FNG
Anyone that can give me some advice about Effords. We are looking at the drive in camp and all i am reading about is the fly in camp. anyone have any reviews on the drive to camp?

OP
Joseph2186

Joseph2186

Lil-Rokslider
I was booked for sept 25 at effords last year. He moved me to the same week this year. Im doing the fly out hunt but every reference I talked to said good things about his outfit.

Joseph, are you driving or flying? Alone or with a buddy? Did you get the bear tag? That moose meat is just awesome....a dark meat but tasty and tender. Bou is better yet. What gun/cartridge are you using? I took a 300 Win Mag and a 35 Whelen as a back-up. Shot both with the 300 mag. I still got my Lacrosse rubber boots in the garage...never used them since my trip up there in 1993. Hopefully you hit the rut..they don't move much if they aren't and it can be a tough hunt at that point. The guys leaving when I arrived told me.....if you see a moose, shoot it as it will be the only one you see. Luckily, the rut came in a few days after my arrival but I still walked my ass off to find the few bulls I seen. Good luck.

You should be in great shape to hit the rut. Hopefully, they'll open the border this year. Best of luck!

You were smart to go for the fly out. Extra money, well spent. Gets you into a better area for some mature bulls, away from all the local road hunters.

OP
Joseph2186

Joseph2186

Lil-Rokslider
Yea, Im booked for the trophy fly in hunt. I did add the bear tag. As for the rifle Im torn between my 7mm rem mag or my 300 win mag. If someone was going with me Id drive up there as Im in PA but no one wanted to go so Im gonna fly up and have all the meat shipped home. Just hope the border is open this time around.

OP
Joseph2186

Joseph2186

Lil-Rokslider
Thought I would revive this thread about my 2020 Newfoundland moose hunt that happened in 2021. I had booked a hunt with Effords four years ago, at the GAOS. I had chosen the remote trophy hunt paid my deposit and that was about it for communication until 2020. When Covid hit and the border closed there was some communication back and forth about updates until I was rescheduled for the following season same dates Sept 25 to Oct 2nd.

OP
Joseph2186

Joseph2186

Lil-Rokslider
I was beginning to think that this season was going to be a bust also until suddenly the border opened up. It then became a scramble with work trying to get the time off and gathering the paperwork required to cross the border. The most difficult thing for my was getting the ammo my rifle liked and finding a flight to Newfoundland that didnt have two days worth of layovers.

OP
Joseph2186

Joseph2186

Lil-Rokslider
But finially on sept 24th I arrived at Deerlake. Bobs secretary was great she called me to let me know the plan for the next day we were to all be picked up at 8am the next morning. I met a couple great guys staying at the deer lake motel who were also doing the same hunt. At 0730 the taxi was out there waiting for everyone. We then when on a two hour drive to peter strides pond where Bob has his float plane. The closer we got the thicker the fog got. When we arrived at the pond which was really a lake by my standards we filled out our paperwork got our licenses and filled out how we wanted the meat processed, and where it was to be shipped to by Central NL shipping. Then it was a waiting game for conditions to be flyable.

OP
Joseph2186

Joseph2186

Lil-Rokslider
The accommodations at the pond were really not good at all, no where to sit, no restroom, just a small white trailer that already had outboards and gas cans in it. Luckily it did not rain. Around 4pm it was flyable for the closer camps and Bob began taking people to their lodges. My camp Joey's pond was a 70 mile flight and we ran out of light to be able to go that day and was taxied back to the motel in deer lake.

OP
Joseph2186

Joseph2186

Lil-Rokslider
Sunday after a repeat drive out to Peter strides the weather had actually gotten worse. We only had to stand around and wait until 1630 before being taken back to deer lake. Bobs secretary had already made hotel reservations for everyone as there was no rooms anywhere in town which was good. Finially on Monday the weather broke at 1430 and we were able to our camps.

Attachments

• 20210925_095659.jpg
    20210925_095659.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 20210927_155537.jpg
    20210927_155537.jpg
    358.5 KB · Views: 27
OP
Joseph2186

Joseph2186

Lil-Rokslider
Me and the fellow hunting in Joey's pond arrived and were greeted by beautiful scenery and we met our guides for the week Glen and Tyler. Glen was to be my guide they helped carry our gear to the small one room shack. I was expecting a canvas tent. The shack was clean and warm with a wood stove going also there was a table built as well as two bunk beds and generator powered light and a outlet.

Attachments

• 20210929_063203.jpg
    20210929_063203.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 43

JES

FNG
I was there same sates as you, exxept our original travel day was Sunday. Like you, weather delayed us, we dis fly Monday afteras well. We went by helicopter though. Looking forward to the rest of your story.

JGRaider

WKR
Looking forward to the rest too Joseph. My 2020 hunt was canceled as well and I didn't get to go this year. Still a bucket list thing for me. Thanks for posting your story.

adamkolesar

Lil-Rokslider
The accommodations at the pond were really not good at all, no where to sit, no restroom, just a small white trailer that already had outboards and gas cans in it. Luckily it did not rain. Around 4pm it was flyable for the closer camps and Bob began taking people to their lodges. My camp Joey's pond was a 70 mile flight and we ran out of light to be able to go that day and was taxied back to the motel in deer lake.
Your right about the Peter Strides pond heli/float plane center. Just an old shipping container for processing paperwork. An all day delay in crappy weather would be a bummer. I drove up and had my car to hang out in. If I had ran into weather, I would've had to sleep in that car w/ no plan for a hotel stay which would likely have been booked up. Something to think about if your outfitter doesn't have a contingency for weather delays.