2020 Obsidian First Lite Merino Pant Durability

Leroy91

FNG
Hey all.
Anyone worn this year's production of the First Lite Obsidian? Wondering if they have corrected the issue of premature crotch wear, etc that seemed problematic in earlier models? Looking to pick up some quiet, versatile pants, but definitely want to be able to get a few years out of them at the price point.
Also, thoughts on sizing? I am 6'4", 185lb with 33-34" waist x ~35" inseam. Medium waist in tall cut should work?
Thanks!

Hey all.
Anyone worn this year's production of the First Lite Obsidian? Wondering if they have corrected the issue of premature crotch wear, etc that seemed problematic in earlier models? Looking to pick up some quiet, versatile pants, but definitely want to be able to get a few years out of them at the price point.
Also, thoughts on sizing? I am 6'4", 185lb with 33-34" waist x ~35" inseam. Medium waist in tall cut should work?
Thanks!

Where are you seeing that they were supposedly updated for 2020?

jhim

FNG
I have a 2018 pair that I'd worn the crotch thru on, called them about a week ago and they sent me enough fabric to patch it up, free of charge. Guy I talked to on the phone said that in up coming models they are going to be reinforced, not sure if that includes 2020 models or not.

OP
L

Leroy91

FNG
Where are you seeing that they were supposedly updated for 2020?
To clarify, haven't seen an update. Just hoping that with the number of reported issues in some key areas, primarily the crotch, that they may have done some adjustments between seasons.

OP
L

Leroy91

FNG
I have a 2018 pair that I'd worn the crotch thru on, called them about a week ago and they sent me enough fabric to patch it up, free of charge. Guy I talked to on the phone said that in up coming models they are going to be reinforced, not sure if that includes 2020 models or not.
Gotcha. Thanks for the info.

bbckfh

Lil-Rokslider
I called them. Not sure whether it was 2019 or 2020, but they’re different.

The fit was baggy as all get out. Like, MC Hammer baggy. Now it’s much more athletic. I returned the other pair. After they adjusted them I gave it another shot and I positively love these. And my crotch, as I said before, hasn’t worn at all.

I’m 6’1”, 175 and I have the M/Tall. They’re long, so that should work perfectly for you. I usually cuff the bottoms a bit and could have done the M/Reg.

Lets be honest: I love my Kuiu Kutanas, Attacks and Talus. My Kühl Silencr are fantastic for daily wear. But these are now up there in the top echelon of my favorite-pants part of my wardrobe.

Last edited:
OP
L

Leroy91

FNG

The fit was baggy as all get out. Like, MC Hammer baggy. Now it’s much more athletic. I returned the other pair. After they adjusted them I gave it another shot and I positively love these. And my crotch, as I said before, hasn’t worn at all.

I’m 6’1”, 175 and I have the M/Tall. They’re long, so that should work perfectly for you. I usually cuff the bottoms a bit and could have done the M/Reg.

Lets be honest: I love my Kuiu Kutanas, Attacks and Talus. My Kühl Silencr are fantastic for daily wear. But these are now up there in the top echelon of my favorite-pants part of my wardrobe.
Thank-you for the insights.

Arwhite90

FNG
I purchased a pair in March of this year and used them for 2 turkey sits so far this year, so not that much hard wear, but they are doing well. I will agree that the cut seems somewhat athletic, though they are still super soft and comfortable, I will be using them on a 3rd season rifle hunt in Colorado this year, plus archery Whitetail here in Wi so they'll get the full test this fall. I will say that I can't help but think with how soft and comfy they are, the first time I hit some rough terrain, take a fall or catch on some brush I'll have some damage, but I guess we'll see.

toddh

FNG
I bought a pair in June. Can't wait to try them out. They fit me really well.

eltaco

WKR
Anybody know how much added length the “Tall” has? I have a pair of Medium Regular here and they’re about 1” shorter than my Kuiu Attacks.

I’m 6’-1” and usually wear a 32/34 in other products.

Arwhite90

FNG
Anybody know how much added length the “Tall” has? I have a pair of Medium Regular here and they’re about 1” shorter than my Kuiu Attacks.

Well I can tell you that I am 6'5 and bought an XLT and they are boarder line too long, If I order another pair of pants I will order a regular most likely. Though I will say when talking hunting pants I'm always wearing boots and I don't want any bagginess at the bottom cause that will just get caught on stuff and ripped up. So I'm fine with the pants being a but short rather an too long, at least as long as they cover the boot tops of 8" boots while i'm sitting.

OP
L

Leroy91

FNG

Was chatting to Duke yesterday at FL. He said the "tall" length is a 35" inseam. If that is a bit too long once you get them, you should be able to get them hemmed for $10 from a seamstress. Easier to shorten than lengthen.

eltaco

WKR
Was chatting to Duke yesterday at FL. He said the "tall" length is a 35" inseam. If that is a bit too long once you get them, you should be able to get them hemmed for $10 from a seamstress. Easier to shorten than lengthen.

Funny, he just told me 34” on the medium tall.

I ordered that and will tailor it if needed.

Sorry to jump this thread. I guess I’ll report back on robustness after my elk hunt. Looking forward to trying these out!

mxgsfmdpx

WKR

LOL! The first time I wore them on the way out the door to stalk coyotes my wife stops me and goes “hey!” I turn and say “Yeah what’s up?” She says... “you can’t touch this.”

MC Hammer confirmed.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
The pants are a good pant and very comfy.

The Good: They are good in most weather other than rain. Hot with no base layer they do well. Cold with the right weight base layer they do great as well. Super quiet and fantastic stalking pants. Layering under them is easy with the looser type fit.

The Bad: Would not call them durable at all. Everything gets stuck to them/in them. The merino like any other merino catches everything. Crawling on sandy granite in the sierras wear the knees out quick. Same with sitting or sliding down on your butt too much. Crotch wears out really quickly as well.

Overall they are a good pair of pants. Very comfy and adaptable to all season pants. Don’t wear in the rain but they do dry out quickly for what it’s worth. Don’t expect them to last long with heavy crawling especially on rocks. Foxtails, brush, sticks, and literally everything cling to these pants.

OP
L

Leroy91

FNG
Funny, he just told me 34” on the medium tall.

I ordered that and will tailor it if needed.

Sorry to jump this thread. I guess I’ll report back on robustness after my elk hunt. Looking forward to trying these out!
I will do the same.

Catahoula

WKR
I had wear issues on a pair in 2018 season. I took photos of the wear area of the crotch and forwarded via email. FL replied with a return shipping label and had me return them for a full refund. I reordered a new pair 3 weeks ago and am eager to try them in the field for archery season in two weeks. As far as design goes, there is change in crotch area. Gusset is the same. I hope this pair ”new” pair holds up better. It’s entirely possible that the material used on many many pairs had a defect, who knows. My spouse has two pairs and she has now issues with hers....

rm06

WKR
I have last year's new pair, the fit is far and away improved since the original. Versatile in various weather and very quiet. I don't have any anecdotes regarding durability, I guess I'm not that hard on them, mine still look new and I have probably 30 days of back country wear on them.

I do not find that they dry quickly, maybe faster than denim but nowhere near as quickly as synthetics.

NMframed

Lil-Rokslider
I just got a pair a couple weeks ago. I’m 6’2” and 175lbs and the MT fit good around the waist and still have some room with the partial elastic waste band. The length seems just a little bit long for me but they still feel like they fit good. I usually were a 32x36 in jeans. I haven’t had a chance to test their durability yet but am looking forward to really putting them to use in September and October