2020 Oregon Elk Hunt

jcostanza

FNG
Hey All,

I’m trying to get some info about a DIY elk hunt in Oregon. I have some family that just moved up there last year. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

541hunter

WKR
Going to need to be a lot more specific than that. Maybe try asking more detailed questions.

WRO

WKR
Oregon is a big state with a lot of different opportunities? Where will you be based out of?

bloom1gr

FNG
I'm actually moving to the Medford area this summer. Looking into elk hunting and deer hunting around that area.

What kind of differences will I be encountering as someone who grew up hunting whitetail in Michigan? Hunt units and over-the-counter tags? Ground blinds and treestands vs spot and stalk? Been doing quite a bit of E-scouting with OnX too.

OSUsmokey

Lil-Rokslider
Bloom1....Well first off you need to apply for your tags by the 15th of May if you are looking at any controlled units. You will still be considered a non resident as it takes 6 months of residency to buy a resident hunting license. Never white tail hunted, so cant comment on that, but I feel its much different from all the videos ive watched

jmike

FNG
This year you should just go with over the counter tags . My dad live in Medford and there is plenty of good deer and elk hunting within 2 hours of there. scout , scout ,scout and ask the locals.

I'm actually moving to the Medford area this summer. Looking into elk hunting and deer hunting around that area.

What kind of differences will I be encountering as someone who grew up hunting whitetail in Michigan? Hunt units and over-the-counter tags? Ground blinds and treestands vs spot and stalk? Been doing quite a bit of E-scouting with OnX too.
Spot and stalk and lots of miles covered. Get go hunt.

Leadhead

FNG
Plenty of OTC opportunities around that area and some of the best blacktail hunting in the state is right there. You'll do fine if you invest your own time with boots on the ground. IMO, the best part of moving to a new state is exploring new ground and making your own discoveries.

I’m in the medford area. Been down here for a few years now. I came from the roseburg area where there was so much hunting opportunity. Was afraid I’d be leaving that behind but I’ve found this area is pretty similar. I’d recommend getting on x and just getting out there and find spots. It’s what I had to do being a new guy in the area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bloom1gr

FNG
I’m in the medford area. Been down here for a few years now. I came from the roseburg area where there was so much hunting opportunity. Was afraid I’d be leaving that behind but I’ve found this area is pretty similar. I’d recommend getting on x and just getting out there and find spots. It’s what I had to do being a new guy in the area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I've been dabbling on OnX for a couple weeks now - going back and forth with Google Earth to get the 3D picture of the area. The fact that I've never hunted either elk or blacktail in combination with there being so much area to cover has me very excited to finally get out there and get to walking through the woods despite not really having a great idea what kind of habitat to look for.

Hey All,

I’m trying to get some info about a DIY elk hunt in Oregon. I have some family that just moved up there last year. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

There's a lot of OTC Archery opportunities in the state. East side is more typical western hunting, big country, lots of public land, lots of people unless its steep nasty country. West side is industrial timber land, so mostly cruising logging roads or hiking in on closed roads.

For rifle, some OTC spike tags on the east side, West side is a mix of OTC branch bull to spike.

jjgrow

FNG
The ifish.net hunting forum has a lot of Oregon unit-specific discussion you might find helpful. As others have mentioned, there is a lot of opportunity for Roosevelt near you (a friend took a massive bull during archery season last year in White City area) but more private land while Central/NE has more traditional open country BLM/NF land for Rocky Mtn elk.

In central Oregon where i live they just changed the high cascade elk hunt from OTC to a controlled hunt east of the PCT. Plenty of OTC opportunities west of the Cascades but a lot of eastern Oregon units are controlled.