2020 Oregon John day Sheep

Csruss90

FNG
Hey everyone! I was one of the lucky ones and drew a John Day River Sheep tag. I get to go in the first two weeks of November and chase some animals that I figured wouldnt happen till later in my life. I am super pumped. I live 2.5 hours away from the area and have a flexible work schedule to float and scout. I never thought that I would get a chance this close to home. Im trying to learn as much as possible about sheep, their behaviors, field judging and access the the john day river system. I'm young, fit and ready to get after it!

thanks

Wapiti1

WKR
Good for you. Sheep are typically not hard to find. Glass is your best buddy.

Judging is important if you want to shoot the biggest you can find. That said, good rams tend to stand out unless they are with other good rams. Then you shoot the one you like. Jay Scott has some good content on sheep judging. Google Jay Scott Outdoors.

I've never been to that country, but have seen some info on that area. Neat country. Have fun and enjoy the process.

Jeremy

OP
Csruss90

Csruss90

FNG
Good for you. Sheep are typically not hard to find. Glass is your best buddy.

Judging is important if you want to shoot the biggest you can find. That said, good rams tend to stand out unless they are with other good rams. Then you shoot the one you like. Jay Scott has some good content on sheep judging. Google Jay Scott Outdoors.

I've never been to that country, but have seen some info on that area. Neat country. Have fun and enjoy the process.

Jeremy

I'm consuming alot of youtube hunt videos and you definitely pick out the big ones easier. Thanks for the info on Jay Scott.

OP
Csruss90

Csruss90

FNG
Ill make sure and keep you guys updated. I have been documenting this whole process and hopefully have a pretty sweet story at the end.

OP
Csruss90

Csruss90

FNG
You drew my tag! Congrats, that hunt was my number 1 choice. Are you going to pay a tresspass fee to get access to some of the private land?

Keep us updated on the process. It should be quite an adventure.

Im still looking at the possible options how to access the area. I think floating is my #1 choice but I am open to other ways. Do you know anyone or anything about trespass fees in that area?

teamvit

Lil-Rokslider
I will be floating the John Day in 2 weeks and will gladly share what I see for sheep and anything I learn about the river. Not dragging a spotter with me this time

The typical access fee ranches are on the west side of the river. The White Elephant is on the east side and as already mentioned above may be an option. Personally I'd float the river and hunt DIY, but each has it's advantages and down sides. There are plenty of locations with great access to BLM, a couple can even be accessed on foot from the top. If you're interested, you can PM me and we can visit about a few locations to check out. The orientation usually includes a chance to look at a map of the locations that previous tag holders have taken their rams and has a lot of good information. This year will be even better for floating since the tag is for both sides of the river now. Congrats on a great tag; I hope to be the guy on the trigger one day :)

DRUSS

WKR
Congratulations!
Lots of fun and adventure ahead for you. I know a guy who got to hunt this area last year. Very amazing trip. Lots of sheep. I think there was 3 main land owners west side. East side was white elephant as the primary area. Can hike from cottonwood also.
Good Luck

Smokeslider

Lil-Rokslider
You drew my tag! Congrats, that hunt was my number 1 choice. Are you going to pay a tresspass fee to get access to some of the private land?

Keep us updated on the process. It should be quite an adventure.

Are you an Oregon Resident?

Extrapale

WKR
Pm me if you would like. I had the tag in 2015
cc9a969068502400ee08cfeb0ae0f656.jpg

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk