2020 questions

Last year my hunting group and I used our points for a general tag in Wyoming. We ended up purchasing an archery tag and hunted mid September with some luck. This year we have some points built up in Colorado but will average out to 2 pts. each. Not wanting to hunt OTC and realizing chances of drawing Wyoming is slim we are thinking buy a point in Wyoming and apply in Colorado. My question is with the draw being moved back in Wyoming (May) and Colorado announcing sometime in June can you withdraw an application in Colorado and just take the preference points if we should draw a Wyoming tag? I would hate to put in and get lucky to draw a Wyoming tag and then also draw a Colorado tag. The most likely scenario is that we will not draw a tag in Colorado or Wyoming with the amount of points we have as a group.

ChrisAU

WKR
Be careful, I believe CO only recognizes the person with the lowest point total in a group application, not an average point total for all applicants in the group. I could be wrong though.

UtahJimmy

WKR
Colorado will refund you the cost of the tag OR give you a point, not both.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
M
Colorado will refund you the cost of the tag OR give you a point, not both.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
That is what I was trying to find out. I was going to call to ask but thought I would start here. We are just trying to get a game plan

ckleeves

WKR
Be careful, I believe CO only recognizes the person with the lowest point total in a group application, not an average point total for all applicants in the group. I could be wrong though.

This is correct. If you have 10 and your buddy has 1 and you apply as a group then your group has 1 point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Megalodon

Lil-Rokslider
This is correct. If you have 10 and your buddy has 1 and you apply as a group then your group has 1 point.

So do you use your 10 points to hunt in the 1 point unit or does it only take 1 point and you have 9 next year? I expect you lose them all just not 100%.

ckleeves

WKR
So do you use your 10 points to hunt in the 1 point unit or does it only take 1 point and you have 9 next year? I expect you lose them all just not 100%.

You lose them all unfortunately. Group apps in Colorado are only worth it if everybody had the same points or you have guys that don’t mind using more then it takes in the group.

The nice thing about Colorado is that you should be able to predict with reasonable certainty whether or not you will draw the tag with their preference points system. But you're definitely handicapped by the "slowest runner" in your group

sndmn11

WKR
Page 16 of last year's regulations is relevant. https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/RulesRegs/Brochure/BigGame/biggame.pdf

▶ Hunters who are successful in the draw but whose hunting plans have changed can now call CPW at 303-297-1192 to have their license reversed instead of returning it through the process described above. ▶ Hunters will not have to submit the refund paperwork or pay the $15 refund fee if they call to request a reversal by the deadline of 5 p.m. MT on June 14. After this deadline, the refund process will be the same as usual (see above). ▶ Once a license is reversed, the process cannot be undone. ▶ Reversed licenses will be made available for reissue.

Bucky

Lil-Rokslider
It does suck planning out in advance your group but it does help for 5 plus years down the road when you draw the unit you intended to draw. As said above in CO you should pretty much be able to tell if you will draw or not. My opinion if someone has lower points they should apply for preference point, go along and help out and then following year other guys go help.