2020 Ram 1500 Sport vs Toyota Tundra TRD4x4 for Hunting Rig

Mossy

WKR
Until Toyota builds a Tundra crew cab with a 6.5' bed they are a no go for me. The tiny bed they have on the crew cab looks just plain stupid. Might as well drive an Avalanche.

Been wondering about that myself. Thinking of sleeping in the back with a canopy and I’m not certain the math adds up.....

If you work at Toyota then you know that the Tundra is sensitive to speed. The faster you go the worse mileage you get. But I've had one since 2008 and with the stock tires driving 65 I'd get 19 all day. But then I lifted it and the speed limit in Utah changed to 80 - so now I get 15.5 on the hwy running at that speed consistently and 14 around town.

The 1.5 MPG loss over a Ram/Chevy/ford is worth the piece of mind knowing I won't be stranded...
Yea I gotcha but from what I've seen its quite a bit more than 1.5 mpg difference between the Tundra and it's competitors. I think the Tundra is by far the best truck in terms of long term reliability and durability but the engine and transmission is the same as it what in 2007 when the "new" Tundra came out. It is plain terrible when it comes to the stupid constant down shifting in cruise control and the horrendous fuel economy.

Mossy

WKR
If you work at Toyota then you know that the Tundra is sensitive to speed. The faster you go the worse mileage you get. But I've had one since 2008 and with the stock tires driving 65 I'd get 19 all day. But then I lifted it and the speed limit in Utah changed to 80 - so now I get 15.5 on the hwy running at that speed consistently and 14 around town.

The 1.5 MPG loss over a Ram/Chevy/ford is worth the piece of mind knowing I won't be stranded...

Do the Tundras all run a 6 speed transmission or have they gone to an 8,10?

So if the Tundra averages 15mpg overall and my diesel Ram averages 20mpg overall, the Tunda cost 33% more to drive (if your gasoline is priced the same as diesel which it never is). To travel 100,000 miles in the Tundra would burn 6666.66 gallons of gas, the Ram 5000 gallons of diesel. Gasoline and diesel prices vary wildly in the US but if we round both off to $3./gal then the Tundra is gonna cost you $5,000.00 more to fuel than the Ram diesel. Bear in mine I'm using my actual mileage after adding a ton of weight to my Ram...the stock engine averages 27mpg. That's 3703 gallons to travel 100,000 miles. That's a bean counter's perspective...probably doesn't make a bit of difference, people buy what the like. But the long-term costs can and should be a consideration. Somebody is reaching for a calculator in 1, 2, 3.........

1967marti

FNG
Used first gen raptors can be found for under 20k now. It is limited in the towing department compared to a stock f150 but its hard to argue with their off-road performance, and they hold their value very well.

A diesel truck is thousands more around here and fuel is .60 a gallon more. I don't think a diesel would pay for itself around here.

So if the Tundra averages 15mpg overall and my diesel Ram averages 20mpg overall, the Tunda cost 33% more to drive (if your gasoline is priced the same as diesel which it never is). To travel 100,000 miles in the Tundra would burn 6666.66 gallons of gas, the Ram 5000 gallons of diesel. Gasoline and diesel prices vary wildly in the US but if we round both off to $3./gal then the Tundra is gonna cost you $5,000.00 more to fuel than the Ram diesel. Bear in mine I'm using my actual mileage after adding a ton of weight to my Ram...the stock engine averages 27mpg. That's 3703 gallons to travel 100,000 miles. That's a bean counter's perspective...probably doesn't make a bit of difference, people buy what the like. But the long-term costs can and should be a consideration. Somebody is reaching for a calculator in 1, 2, 3.........

Ha I’ve done these calculations and yours is flawed. Diesel is usually always higher than gas so you are already not making an apples to apples comparison. Diesel trucks also cost considerably more than a Tundra (I considered getting a Diesel) and the increased cost of maintenance for a diesel and last I checked it would have taken about 10+ years to make up the difference. Yea I’ll stick with a Tundra. And that’s was just going off the Tundra, not another 1/2 ton that gets better mpg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rates where I am 15 minutes ago on Gasbuddy:

Regular
$4.15

Midgrade
$4.29

Premium
$4.43

Diesel
$3.89

For me it's all about how many miles I can go on a single fill-up cuz there aren't any gas stations in the backcountry. My diesel Ram can travel 250 miles further on a tank than my gasser Ram could. That's huge when you're in the middle of nowhere.

mileage june '19.JPG

Last edited:

137buck

Lil-Rokslider
I might check out a Ford as well just to consider a third option. I just don’t find them good looking. No GM’s though...never.

Word of advise from someone who has owned a newer Ford F150 and used it extensively in the mountains of western Montana. I'd do a hard pass on them, they're not built for continued dirt roads use. It was one thing after another with that dang thing, had to replace ball joints at 55k, then while doing that, found the front bearings were bad. Since I had the front torn apart, I ended up rebuilding the whole front suspension and put a leveling kit on. Then at about 60k, I had the rear clutch pack go out, then three days later, the rear drivers side main leaf spring broke. Had that fixed, then the starter went out shortly after that, then it was fine for a few months, then I had a no start issue, Ford had too small of wiring for the fuel pump and it melted the fuse instead of blowing it, fixed that. Then it was a bearing in the front differential, so I had that rebuilt, then shortly after that, I had a bearing in the rear diff start making noise and that was the final straw, I traded it in on a 2500 Ram.

Regular
$4.15

Midgrade
$4.29

Premium
$4.43

Diesel
$3.89

For me it's all about how many miles I can go on a single fill-up cuz there aren't any gas stations in the backcountry. My diesel Ram can travel 250 miles further on a tank than my gasser Ram could. That's huge when you're in the middle of nowhere.

View attachment 128250

Now I will say that was maybe a year and a half ago and for the area I was at. I should have added that. I think there are a couple stations around here where I’m at now that diesel may be less than gas. I’ve only been in Utah a few weeks though. Was kind of weird to see that. I’ve been all over the south and never seen that.

I’ll add if I ever do get a diesel (may get a 5th wheel one day) then it will be a ram. Love the mega cab.

slowyota

FNG

Regular
$4.15

Midgrade
$4.29

Premium
$4.43

Diesel
$3.89

OUCH!! Must be in Cali....Gas varies between $2.40 to $2.80 for regular and Diesel is on average $0.50 more than reg. gas in Utah.

KHNC

WKR
^^^ wow I get 20 mpg on the highway (Alaska) and 15 around town with my Tundra. Bought mine new 2018. Haven’t towed with yet.
Never saw 20 on my 4WD Tundra Platinum once. And especially not 15 around town. You must have a unicorn!

Never saw 20 on my 4WD Tundra Platinum once. And especially not 15 around town. You must have a unicorn!

According to Car & Driver:

The Tundra has the worst fuel economy in its class. While its competitors don't exactly sip fuel either, the EPA rates its V-8 with four-wheel drive at 13 mpg city and 17 mpg highway.

I have a friend who bought one and says he averages 10mpg. He lives in Kingman, AZ.

BullElk

FNG
Now I will say that was maybe a year and a half ago and for the area I was at. I should have added that. I think there are a couple stations around here where I’m at now that diesel may be less than gas. I’ve only been in Utah a few weeks though. Was kind of weird to see that. I’ve been all over the south and never seen that.

I’ll add if I ever do get a diesel (may get a 5th wheel one day) then it will be a ram. Love the mega cab.

diesel was never more than gas until 2004. once the war happened its never been cheaper.

Trial153

WKR
Walking though the staion lot eyeing the guys Rams parked there. They are all rust buckets. The poor saps arent done with their notes yet and bodys are rusting out. Noticeable more then other trucks in the lot.

BullElk

FNG
Walking though the staion lot eyeing the guys Rams parked there. They are all rust buckets. The poor saps arent done with their notes yet and bodys are rusting out. Noticeable more then other trucks in the lot.
everything is a rust bucket out there...including my neighbors late model F-150 that has the entire fender wells rotted out. he has NY plates in idaho lol

I’ve owned my last Toyota pickup (‘13 Tundra). That 300 mile gas tank is a deal breaker for me by itself.

Not your question, but my new HD Duramax is an entirely different class of truck in every measure.