2020 Ram 1500 Sport vs Toyota Tundra TRD4x4 for Hunting Rig

SUMMIT75

WKR
Hey guys and girls,

I am needing some input from some individuals who own either of these vehicles. Unfortunately after this last hunting season and practically living out of my ‘18 TRDPRO Tacoma Overland rig for 2 straight weeks on Colorado OTC units for Archery Elk. The idea of a Overlander has pretty much been killed off for a more utilitarian type vehicle with a more specific purpose. I realized I don’t need a Tacoma size nor it’s utter let down of power and capabilities. To be quiet honest I’m very dissatisfied with Toyota Tacoma. After owning a ‘88 Toyota PU with a 22R, a Gen 1 ‘03, a Gen 2 ‘11 and now this ‘18 TRDPRO.

I can honestly say after a combined approximate 980k miles on all my Toyota’s, Toyota has got lazy, relaxed off of their lore and is truly not bringing their best in terms of one of if not their most trademark vehicle. So with that being said I had a 2013 Ram 1500 that I put 77k miles on it with zero issues but I wonder about its longevity. I also know a ton of people who drive the Tundra but swear the fuel mileage will make you cringe.

This will be almost all mountain use, won’t be my daily driver as I have a company vehicle. It’s intent and final build will have a minor coil over lift roughly 4” or so. 35” ish tires, and then a slew of other custom add ons. Such as bumpers, bed rack, winch, Decked system and a few others. The goal is to achieve a vehicle perfect for my application. Pretty much hopping from one Rocky Mountain state to the other hunting, road trips, scouting and living out of....well hauling a off-road specific tear drop trailer when I want to not sleep in a tent.

Could anyone give me some input as to what they like, dislike or would be aware of on either of these vehicles? I’m doing a ton of homework, literature, YouTube videos, online reviews, etc. However it does not hurt to ask other fellow hunters opinion on these vehicles.
What I initially like is just how feature rich and comfortable the Ram is. However one thing I will not take away from Toyota is it’s sheer reliability and longevity. However I know the Tacoma inside and out, I don’t know if the Tundra will disappoint me like the Tacoma has.
Specifics of the vehicles are:

2020 Ram 1500 4x4 with Sport Package and 5.7 Hemi(No E Torque shenanigans)

2020 Toyota Tundra TRD OFF-ROAD 4X4 with 5.7 I-Force

Any input or help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jebuwh

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a Toyota guy through and through, but I've been in automotive/collision/ect industries for a long while and been around cars all my life.

There are more and more million miles Tundras popping up with the 5.7. I don't hear of any Rams on the original motor doing that. You'll likely get a much nicer interior in the Ram, though the Tundra has gotten better. But as far as sheer dependability, the Tundra can't be beat in my book. Gas will suck in either, but for a hunting rig, breaking down would be ultimate bummer. Especially with coolers full of meat!

Off road chops and mod availability definitely goes to the Tundra as well. Coilovers and upper arms, a new leaf pack and shocks in the rear, and it's a serious beast off road.

Word is the new Tundra coming out end of next year will be a twin turbo 6 like the Ford with hybrid to get over 30 mpg.

hodgeman

WKR
I've got a 2015 Tundra TRD 5.7. Zero issues. Since I'm rolling up on 30 years of driving 1/2 ton pickups, I don't think the mileage is all that bad. I get 18-19mpg unless I tow...and that isn't bad for a 380hp truck with a 5.7.

Heck, my mid 80s Chevy with a 350 had half the power and got half the mpg!

If you stick a lift and giant tires on it, expect your mileage to suck. Leave it bone stock and you'll be happier in that regard. Ram has a pretty nice rig, but the longevity just isn't there.

• Banned
OP
S

SUMMIT75

WKR
I'm a Toyota guy through and through, but I've been in automotive/collision/ect industries for a long while and been around cars all my life.

There are more and more million miles Tundras popping up with the 5.7. I don't hear of any Rams on the original motor doing that. You'll likely get a much nicer interior in the Ram, though the Tundra has gotten better. But as far as sheer dependability, the Tundra can't be beat in my book. Gas will suck in either, but for a hunting rig, breaking down would be ultimate bummer. Especially with coolers full of meat!

Off road chops and mod availability definitely goes to the Tundra as well. Coilovers and upper arms, a new leaf pack and shocks in the rear, and it's a serious beast off road.

Word is the new Tundra coming out end of next year will be a twin turbo 6 like the Ford with hybrid to get over 30 mpg.

Nice might just wait to see what Tundra does. Toyota has always impressed me with their longevity. Maybe the Tundra is the way to go over the Tacoma in the first place. I’m not angry at a Toyota as a whole, just utterly dissatisfied at just the Tacoma. It’s the biggest flop of a truck I’ve ever seen.

• Banned
OP
S

SUMMIT75

WKR
I might check out a Ford as well just to consider a third option. I just don’t find them good looking. No GM’s though...never.

264win

WKR
I would go tundra as well. I had several Tacoma’s and loved them, but agree that Toyota has dropped the ball. I currently drive a Ram 2500 set up for off road. Very happy so far, but I would have a hard time being confident in a Ram 1500. Lift and tires plus towing adds significant wear on a truck.

I’ve been looking at the new 1500 diesels that both ram and Chevy are boasting 30+mpg and decent tow loads.
As a residential carpenter, I do some towing but nothing crazy. Drive a lot of miles. And obviously want something that will perform during hunting season situations.
Seeing their price tag though, I’ll be waiting a few years.

OP
S

SUMMIT75

WKR
I’ve been looking at the new 1500 diesels that both ram and Chevy are boasting 30+mpg and decent tow loads.
As a residential carpenter, I do some towing but nothing crazy. Drive a lot of miles. And obviously want something that will perform during hunting season situations.
Seeing their price tag though, I’ll be waiting a few years.

Yeah it’s getting ridiculous what they want for a vehicle. My father is sitting on a immaculate’04 Cummins Dodge 3/4 ton. Every time he takes it to the dealership for something they beg to buy it off him, but even with guys and dealerships begging to buy it because of that low mileage of a 5.9 in immaculate condition. It still wouldn’t cover what they want now for a bone stock single cab 6.7L.

It’s kind of one of the reasons I’m pissed at myself. The amount of money they want for a Tacoma, Gladiator or a well equipped Colorado or Ranger is just stupid. Less power, less torque, no ride comfort, no payload, no towing, no fuel economy( I can vouch for Tacoma’s is garbage and a utter lie of what they say they get) all for nearly the same price as a half ton.

I was all for it with the Gen 1 and my Gen 2. Yet they marketed this as a whole new truck, refined and a good medium from Toyota’s legendary older Tacoma’s and a more creature comfort new Taco. Yeah right, most gutless motor I have ever owned, it hunts for gears like something is broke or out of calibration. I actually measured it, it has less leg room in the back than my Gen 1! They still can’t get your ass off the floor board more than 10 inches! Personally what I should have done was just kept my Ram as a daily and got a Gen 1 and did a solid axle front end conversion and went down the rabbit hole with that. The Gen 1 and Gen 2 are true Tacos. These new Tacos are for your freshly retired uncle needing to go pick up some paint over at Home Depot lol. The worst part about it is, the writing was on the wall, fellow taco buddies I knew in rock crawling and over landing clubs warned me and I still pulled the trigger on one. I kept thinking it was going to be a upgrade from my last three Toyota trucks... nope!

OP
S

SUMMIT75

WKR
I'm kinda confused, I thought "overlander" type vehicles were supposed to be "utilitarian" and practical.

No likey the RTT?

Kind of yes, but there is a few of the overland qualities I don’t need for the new truck.

I love but second guess the RTT a lot. Once set up your stuck there. It eventually will wear out and need replacing, whereas I am considering a tear drop trailer for a more long term route. The tent makes absolute sense for those over land trips but when your in GMU for a week or so and needing to move about the unit a trailer makes better sense.

Love it? Yes I do
Confident that it’s a perfect solution to my hunting needs...not really.

Looks cool though! Lol
9a4e937caf07063b37f0d5417d5be4e6.jpg

Pepe55

FNG
I own a 2007 tundra with 145k on it just keeps ticking. Gets 19 mpg at 80mph all day. Towing about 14 mpg. My sons much newer ram gets 25mpg but we pulled a 5'x8' trailer to Colorado for elk and it averaged 9mpg. I will say parts and labor,Toyota will hose you, maybe that's all dealers.

GLB

WKR
Last year I was looking for a new truck and it was between the Tundra and the 1500 Ram. I was leaning to the Toyota side because I had a 2008 Tacoma, drove it for 11 years and was happy with it. I needed a full size truck and and looked hard at both and chose the Tundra. Very happy with it. 21EB4318-67F6-487F-8004-CC571DA465A1.jpeg

OP
S

SUMMIT75

WKR
Last year I was looking for a new truck and it was between the Tundra and the 1500 Ram. I was leaning to the Toyota side because I had a 2008 Tacoma, drove it for 11 years and was happy with it. I needed a full size truck and and looked hard at both and chose the Tundra. Very happy with it. View attachment 126211

Sharp ride!!

Reactions: GLB

Vandal 44

WKR
I just went through this last month myself. I had a 2013 Toyota Tacoma traded it in on a 2017 Toyota Tacoma for my wife (big mistake) I could not stand that 2017 Tacoma an absolute POS. The 2013 Toyota Tacoma was a lot better in my opinion. I gave my 2003 GMC 1500 4X4 to my daughter.

I needed to get a new truck, I looked at the Dodge 1500, Silverado 1500, Ford F-150 and the Toyota Tundra.

Features and comfort the Dodge 1500 was the best, followed by the Tundra and F-150 (these two are a coin flip) the Silverado was not that comfortable to me.

Knowing what I know about frequency of repairs and the dollar amount it takes to repair vehicles because of my job; I have been in the car business for the last 25 years on the warranty side of things. I did my research and decided on a 2019 Tundra over the 2020 Tundra simply for the $4,000 rebate and it was the exact Tundra I was wanting. These are the main reason for the purchase of the Tundra 1) reliability and dependability of the Tundra 2) comfort, this is a nice riding truck on the highway and going through town 3) features, the Tundra a lacking a little, however coming from a 2003 GMC the Tundra was a big improvement 4) resale value of the Tundra or Tacoma is the best in the industry without a question

The other three make great trucks but for me it was the 1) Tundra 2) F-150 3) Dodge and Chevrolet coin flip

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I was going to ask what a Tacoma "Overland" was. Does that just mean that it comes with a treehouse in back? What engine does that Tacoma have? I thought they were using the 3.4L? That has to have more power than my old 3.0L 150hp 1989.......and I still love my old 3.0. It's not going to win any drag races but that's not what I bought it for 31 years ago. Of course mine doesn't search for gears at all........it goes in the gear I put it in.

OP
S

SUMMIT75

WKR
I just went through this last month myself. I had a 2013 Toyota Tacoma traded it in on a 2017 Toyota Tacoma for my wife (big mistake) I could not stand that 2017 Tacoma an absolute POS. The 2013 Toyota Tacoma was a lot better in my opinion. I gave my 2003 GMC 1500 4X4 to my daughter.

I needed to get a new truck, I looked at the Dodge 1500, Silverado 1500, Ford F-150 and the Toyota Tundra.

Features and comfort the Dodge 1500 was the best, followed by the Tundra and F-150 (these two are a coin flip) the Silverado was not that comfortable to me.

Knowing what I know about frequency of repairs and the dollar amount it takes to repair vehicles because of my job; I have been in the car business for the last 25 years on the warranty side of things. I did my research and decided on a 2019 Tundra over the 2020 Tundra simply for the $4,000 rebate and it was the exact Tundra I was wanting. These are the main reason for the purchase of the Tundra 1) reliability and dependability of the Tundra 2) comfort, this is a nice riding truck on the highway and going through town 3) features, the Tundra a lacking a little, however coming from a 2003 GMC the Tundra was a big improvement 4) resale value of the Tundra or Tacoma is the best in the industry without a question

The other three make great trucks but for me it was the 1) Tundra 2) F-150 3) Dodge and Chevrolet coin flip

Man I really appreciate your input, sounds like Im in much of the same boat. Yeah my ‘11 was a better Taco. I truly miss my Gen 1 the most however. My god you couldn’t hurt it!

Yeah my old man builds custom muscle cars for a living and we have had really good luck with Dodge trucks for work and play but I do worry that it’s longevity will not touch the Tundra.

OP
S

SUMMIT75

WKR
I was going to ask what a Tacoma "Overland" was. Does that just mean that it comes with a treehouse in back? What engine does that Tacoma have? I thought they were using the 3.4L? That has to have more power than my old 3.0L 150hp 1989.......and I still love my old 3.0. It's not going to win any drag races but that's not what I bought it for 31 years ago. Of course mine doesn't search for gears at all........it goes in the gear I put it in.

It’s pretty much a “expedition” type vehicle. Has every bell and whistle to allow you to travel from say one end to another in parks or forests such as Moab or something. Great idea but I’m not really doing that. Close but once I get into a hunting unit I might move from one spot to another but I’m not doing anything a overland rig is needed.