2020 Ram 1500 Sport vs Toyota Tundra TRD4x4 for Hunting Rig

I will never purchase a brand new truck because if it is flawless you will suffer with each and every dent, ding, scratch and chip of paint. I only buy used trucks so I can relax and treat em like the glorified wheelbarrels they are supposed to be, especially for off-road use and abuse. Plus I can think plenty of things I can buy with the $7,000.00 you instantly lose in depreciation the moment you leave the dealer's lot in your new truck. I bought this 2014 Ram online with 30000 miles on it for $3400. under KBB.

View attachment 126302-

With the savings I transformed this diesel Ram 1500 Laramie Limited 4X4 puddle-sniffing mall cruiser into a badass backcountry brute. Stripped off the air bag suspension, badges and chrome, added a 6” BDS lift kits, custom wheels, 35” Toyo AT Xtreme tires, color matched Bushwhacker fender flares, color matched steel bumper, 12K winch, shackles front and rear, color matched grille, Powersteps (not shown), stubby antenna, Bedrug, BakFlip MX4 tonneau cover, Dee Zee tailgate assist, McGard tailgate lock, color matched side mirrors, handles, custom lights all around from Retroshop, window tinting, 360* camera surveillance system pretty, full recovery kit, pretty sure I’m forgetting other stuff.

View attachment 126303
View attachment 126304
View attachment 126305
View attachment 126306
View attachment 126307
View attachment 126308

Buy a slightly used truck with some imperfections and dress it up/equip it your way. When you begin by imaging your "dream truck" and patiently shop around online, you will find the deal you want and having a vehicle transported across the country isn't very expensive. Just have it taken directly to your offroad shop so your wife doesn't see what you had done.
A badass off road truck with...a carpeted bed?

mt100gr.

WKR
My Ram was in the shop for weeks after this bad day:

View attachment 126372

I rented a Ford 150 during repairs and I swear that damn truck ruined my back. The Ram has adjustable lumbar among many other comforts lacking in the Fords. On those long drives outta state to hunt, you appreciate the Ram's interior. It's like a luxury sedan.

View attachment 126373

Looks like some rugged trails there

fiskeri1

Lil-Rokslider
I feel your pain. I purchased my 2016 Tacoma after owning a 2011 Tundra and a couple Gen 1 Taco's. The new one was the most problematic vehicle with the fewest miles I've ever owned (including an Audi). That Toyota can no longer build a MANUAL transmission that works properly is troubling to say the least.

After that experience I will no longer go into a vehicle purchase with my mind set on one or a limited number of options. Drive all of the half ton's and include a couple 3/4 ton's that you are not familiar with (yeah I really wanted to fall in love with that Power Wagon). I did this and drove away with an F150 that was configured with what I wanted and got a great deal on. I would have been equally happy with the Ram. Would I have been happy with the Tundra? Possibly but I no longer thought it was the best choice for my needs.

manitou1

WKR
I bought my 2015 Ram 1500 new four+ years ago. Before that, I drove Toyotas for 35 years. So far, the Ram has been my favorite vehicle I have ever owned. It has 83K on it to date with no maintenance issues. I am planning on purchasing a new Ram as a retirement gift for myself in 1.5 years... one with a backup camera and GPS. I bought the Tradesman, lifted it a little and slapped some Bilsteins under it, along with some bigger, better off road tires and it has served well. It just got back from it's third hunting trip out West and we had a LOT of mud and snow. Spent a lot of time in 4x4 over the past two weeks.

boom

WKR
How does the first part of the post about Toyota getting lazy result as having one of the two choices being a Toyota?

A badass off road truck with...a carpeted bed?

The Bedrug isn't carpeting, it's a padded polypropylene liner that insulates the bed (nice with my truck tent up) and prevents items from sliding around.

59285390_10218742199167181_2032968631498833920_n.jpg

It's waterproof and stain resistant...use em in all my trucks now. One tip for those adding this to their ride...purchase triple the tape and completely secure it (more than advised in the installation instructions. The more secure it is initially, the less it can move and the tape come loose. If triple taped the sucker stays put permanently...this is especially important on the sidewalls. Great little product and if anything ever does happen to your Bedrug the company will replace it free.

tdhanses

WKR
I always set up a base camp in the unit I'm hunting, and then can head out to whatever part of the unit I want for a day, or for a few days, and set up a spike camp or carry camp on my back. That way I can cover an entire unit if need be or focus wherever I want.

The problem with a Ram 1500 or the Tundra is their size. There are a lot of 2-tracks and trails I've been on where those won't fit between the trees.

I really wish Toyota would make a bare bones original version of their Tacoma or their pre-Tacoma trucks. I don't need any bells and whistles, I don't need power windows or door locks, I don't need a navigation system or backup camera, I don't even need a radio. But I do need a manual transmission, and my shift-on-the-fly 4wd system has been flawless.

If Toyota made that I would bet it would sell out in 24hrs.

Looks like some rugged trails there

My truck sees plenty of offroad abuse but on this day I swerved to avoid a panel van driven by a texting driver to avoid a head-on. Jumped the curb and went through the landscaping into a parking lot. Just my luck, they placed big bolders in the landscaping that I didn't see until I move one 20'. Took my tranny right out. We are safer offroad than in suburbia. The asshat didn't even stop...he took off (I suspect he was illegal).

Attachments

• IMG_2735.JPG
    IMG_2735.JPG
    366.4 KB · Views: 92
OP
S

SUMMIT75

WKR
How does the first part of the post about Toyota getting lazy result as having one of the two choices being a Toyota?

In reference to Tacoma getting lazy. Trying to be open to options even still within that same brand. The Tacoma is a let down, maybe the Tundra is not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

SUMMIT75

WKR
I went and test drove both the Ram Rebel and a Toyota Tundra TRD4x4. Initial impressions.....Ram had noticeable more torque,power and ride comfort was top notch. The Tundra was a little uncomfortable to be honest. Stiff and handled overly tight. Man Ram has stepped their game up!

I’ll test a Ford F-150 out next week. Now each time I hop in my Tacoma I’m like “egh”.

OP
S

SUMMIT75

WKR
My truck sees plenty of offroad abuse but on this day I swerved to avoid a panel van driven by a texting driver to avoid a head-on. Jumped the curb and went through the landscaping into a parking lot. Just my luck, they placed big bolders in the landscaping that I didn't see until I move one 20'. Took my tranny right out. We are safer offroad than in suburbia. The asshat didn't even stop...he took off (I suspect he was illegal).

Dang!! I guess it was successful “dodge”ing a panel van but “Ram” ‘ed a boulder haha!! See what I did there!!

Dude that is nuts though!!!

OP
S

SUMMIT75

WKR
I feel your pain. I purchased my 2016 Tacoma after owning a 2011 Tundra and a couple Gen 1 Taco's. The new one was the most problematic vehicle with the fewest miles I've ever owned (including an Audi). That Toyota can no longer build a MANUAL transmission that works properly is troubling to say the least.

After that experience I will no longer go into a vehicle purchase with my mind set on one or a limited number of options. Drive all of the half ton's and include a couple 3/4 ton's that you are not familiar with (yeah I really wanted to fall in love with that Power Wagon). I did this and drove away with an F150 that was configured with what I wanted and got a great deal on. I would have been equally happy with the Ram. Would I have been happy with the Tundra? Possibly but I no longer thought it was the best choice for my needs.

What problems did you encounter within the Gen 3? Just curious to keep an eye out till I sell mine. Fortunately for me, it’s semi custom and there is a market for my type of set up to sell private for a decent price. At least this way I won’t loose out like I would if I traded it in.

mt100gr.

WKR

Jeesh!! I'd say you definitely centered it. Kind of surprised it didn't roll a bit and let you bounce over it. As a landscaper, I always roll my eyes when I see stuff like that along roads and in medians. Sooner or later a vehicle is going to find those things and they never make things better.

The little extra in fuel that you’ll spend driving a Tundra is insignificant compared to the repairs you’ll have to make on a Dodge, Chevy or Ford.

My hunting trucks have been tundras since 2004
My 04 I had about 225,000 miles on it when it got totaled out. Aside from O2 sensors at 150,000 miles no other repairs needed.
Buy 2010 tundra had zero repairs done to it when it got totaled out at 80,000 miles
My 2011 tundra presently has about 210,000 miles on it with no repairs.

All three of those trucks were used exclusively for hunting and get beat up and down the mountain following bear and lion dogs.

I will say that the 1st Gen tundra’s fit my needs better off road.

Almost everyone I’ve hunted with has switched over to tundras. The couple dodge guys that I hunt with had a pretty big budget for front end parts annually.

The Ford eco-boost engine’s can’t do water crossings without cracking turbo housings.

I’ll give Chevy credit, they’re the best looking trucks I’ve ever towed off the mountain with my tundra

Toyota or Ram?

That's a no brainer. Toyota.

I made my living with wrenches for some time and I now own a Toyota, Ram, and Jeep.

I won't own this Ram for long.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If Toyota made that I would bet it would sell out in 24hrs.

Now you know where they make all their money on these vehicles. They used to just do a markup on the basic vehicle and guys bought them. These days they have to have every single option imaginable for the soccer moms and such that want to drive them, so they've dumbed them down and made them worse for the outdoorsman, and now can charge 3 times as much because of all the accessories they put on them.

If they made the Tundra with a manual transmission I'd already have one.

Last edited:
OP
S

SUMMIT75

WKR
Toyota or Ram?

That's a no brainer. Toyota.

I made my living with wrenches for some time and I now own a Toyota, Ram, and Jeep.

I won't own this Ram for long.

Ugh you guys are driving a point I don’t want to admit...The Toyota is likely going to last me longer. I’m pushing close to 1 million miles between a ‘88 Toyota PU and three Tacoma’s, one of each Generation. That I can’t deny Toyota. I have nothing to be disappointed in as far as reliability of Toyota so far. It’s just lack luster in other areas. Hopefully I can get a trim level and features I would be happy with on the Tundra. If not I guess I’ll have to take my chances with another brand.

Thanks for the info.

boom

WKR
In reference to Tacoma getting lazy. Trying to be open to options even still within that same brand. The Tacoma is a let down, maybe the Tundra is not.

Roger that.

There’s a lot of the 3rd gens out there. People love them. I’ve never driven one. My 2006 Tacoma runs so well, it’s boring. I’ve penciled in the next generation if my truck ever goes away. I’m shocked of the negative review.