2020 Ram 1500 Sport vs Toyota Tundra TRD4x4 for Hunting Rig

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
the carrying capacity of my 4runner is quite ridiculous now. no body roll around corners and feels fine on the dirt with low air pressure in tires.

My '89 corners better than most sports cars I've driven, that's one thing I love about it. I don't slow down for much. I borrowed my BIL's 1985 Toyota one time and almost rolled it taking the same curve at 65mph that I've always taken without issue in my truck. Must have been those solid axles in his truck.

The dial was hard to get used to at first. I would get in other vehicles and turn the radio up.

Now I love it. You gain so much center console space without a lever shifter in there.

I have a 2014 Ram and love everything about it except the dial shifter. I have heard others say what you have and I just don't believe it does anything than save Ram money because a dial is smaller and therefore costs less in materials.

manitou1

WKR
There is no reason to have a shift lever on any late model American truck. All have electronic (auto) transmissions. Ram figured it was no longer necessary and they took up unneccessary space. It was a bold (gamble) move as us guys in the U.S. love to have a "shifter" to hold on to. 😏
I disliked it at first, and it did take some getting used to. I like the fact that I don't have an obsolete shift lever now.

It's waterproof and stain resistant...use em in all my trucks now. One tip for those adding this to their ride...purchase triple the tape and completely secure it (more than advised in the installation instructions. The more secure it is initially, the less it can move and the tape come loose. If triple taped the sucker stays put permanently...this is especially important on the sidewalls. Great little product and if anything ever does happen to your Bedrug the company will replace it free.

love my bed rug. We put 10 years hard farm work on my fathers, throwing split wood, throwing rocks into it whatever. Diesel will stain it but that’s about it. After a decade it was looking rough, we contacted bedrug to see if we could get a discount on the next one since it technically never failed it was just getting rough and we had spiked a tank of diesel in it. They just shipped us a new one and a label to ship the old back so they could check it out and thanked us for putting it to work. Great products and company.

As far as the truck. Toyota for me. I drive a f150 with 175k on it and it will be replaced most likely with a Ford or a Toyota when the day comes

I'm definitely getting use to the dial shifter, but I found another hate for it this weekend. If you have the door open without the seatbelt on as soon as you move it puts the truck into park. This was a pain when I was jumping in and out of the truck to level the camper.

I also think there's some delay shifting between drive and reverse compared to a mechanical shifter.

KHNC

WKR
Ya, until those electronics go out.
Well, the foot pedal throttle is electric on most trucks now. Mine went out 3 times on my 2014 F150.

Also, if you love to buy gas, you will LOVE the Tundra. My 2018 got 9 mpg towing and 11 around town. Best it ever did was 15 on the hwy driving to Wy and NM. Just got rid of it for a Ram Rebel 1500 with etorque. Getting 14 around town and 17 on hwy so far. Much less than its rate for , but WAY better than the garbage Mpg from the Tundra. I loved it otherwise.

GLB

WKR
^^^ wow I get 20 mpg on the highway (Alaska) and 15 around town with my Tundra. Bought mine new 2018. Haven’t towed with yet.

Jbehredt

WKR
Just fired up a 19 ram 5.7 in the shop here. 4700 miles and it sputtered and backfired all the way around the building. I drive an old Chevy so have no dog in this fight but FCA anything is near the bottom of my list in every category.

Bedrug replaced mine free too and for the same reason. It was ten years old at the time. Amazing.
9mpg would suck if you were deep in the backcountry off-roading. One reason I got a diesel...considerably more miles per tank. This photo was taken this year as I returned from Colorador elk hunt. My Ram sips fuel, even at almost 80mph.
mileage june '19.JPG

Just fired up a 19 ram 5.7 in the shop here. 4700 miles and it sputtered and backfired all the way around the building. I drive an old Chevy so have no dog in this fight but FCA anything is near the bottom of my list in every category.
I let my 6.4 ( with 800 miles) idle for an hour with the heat on high to get rid of the heater core smell and after shutting it off and restarting it, it smoked like my tent stove. Me and FCA are done.

^^^ wow I get 20 mpg on the highway (Alaska) and 15 around town with my Tundra. Bought mine new 2018. Haven’t towed with yet.
I work at a Toyota dealership and you might want to get yours checked out, I've never seen one get that kind of gas mileage. Most get 12-14 normal driving, 5-9 towing anything 5000 pounds or more. Must be something wrong with yours.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I work at a Toyota dealership and you might want to get yours checked out, I've never seen one get that kind of gas mileage. Most get 12-14 normal driving, 5-9 towing anything 5000 pounds or more. Must be something wrong with yours.

Ya........he'll take it in and they'll flash the computer, next thing he knows he's getting 12-14mpg.(n)

Mossy

WKR
My Ram was in the shop for weeks after this bad day:

View attachment 126372

I rented a Ford 150 during repairs and I swear that damn truck ruined my back. The Ram has adjustable lumbar among many other comforts lacking in the Fords. On those long drives outta state to hunt, you appreciate the Ram's interior. It's like a luxury sedan.

View attachment 126373

Fords, chevys, Ram, etc all have lumbar adjustments depending on the trim model. My 13 f150 had better adjustments(lumbar comfort for me) than my 16 Z71 for seating positions.

slowyota

FNG

If you work at Toyota then you know that the Tundra is sensitive to speed. The faster you go the worse mileage you get. But I've had one since 2008 and with the stock tires driving 65 I'd get 19 all day. But then I lifted it and the speed limit in Utah changed to 80 - so now I get 15.5 on the hwy running at that speed consistently and 14 around town.

The 1.5 MPG loss over a Ram/Chevy/ford is worth the piece of mind knowing I won't be stranded...