2020 Ram 1500 Sport vs Toyota Tundra TRD4x4 for Hunting Rig

Wrongside

WKR
Ha I’ve done these calculations and yours is flawed. Diesel is usually always higher than gas so you are already not making an apples to apples comparison. Diesel trucks also cost considerably more than a Tundra (I considered getting a Diesel) and the increased cost of maintenance for a diesel and last I checked it would have taken about 10+ years to make up the difference. Yea I’ll stick with a Tundra. And that’s was just going off the Tundra, not another 1/2 ton that gets better mpg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The other thing these ‘long term cost to operate’ calculations don’t and can’t account for is- cost of major and minor breakdowns and repairs as the miles climb. Impossible to know for certain when and how a vehicle will fail, but it is possible to research vehicle reliability, and play those odds. (Hint- it won’t be a FCA anything.)

IME, it’s easy to blow way more than the difference in fuel costs on one or two big repairs. And that’s setting aside the hassle, downtime, towing bills, etc.

Grumman

WKR
eb3cd4c3cef66343a01fc76f3a872cb9.jpg

I drive an F250 but did see this at the local Toyota dealership. Pretty awesome truck but the dealer had it marked $5,000 over retail...

eb3cd4c3cef66343a01fc76f3a872cb9.jpg

I drive an F250 but did see this at the local Toyota dealership. Pretty awesome truck but the dealer had it marked $5,000 over retail...

I’m torn on that color. I want to like it just not sure on that truck. I’m interested to see one with a nice set of shoes and lift and see how it turns out. Voodoo blue is an awesome color as well as inferno red.

kda082

WKR
Voodoo blue looks good. Eyeballing this when buying wife’s 4Runner couple weeks back. Out of my price range.

Attachments

• 45D1E626-FF47-4287-A195-A3729AB84527.jpeg
    45D1E626-FF47-4287-A195-A3729AB84527.jpeg
    249.3 KB · Views: 43

tdhanses

WKR
Until Toyota builds a Tundra crew cab with a 6.5' bed they are a no go for me. The tiny bed they have on the crew cab looks just plain stupid. Might as well drive an Avalanche.

Yeah those tiny beds pretty much all 1/2 tons have now forced me to only buy a 3/4 ton. Yeah you can get one in a Ford 1/2 ton but go to any lot and they are a unicorn, pretty much have to order one.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Pretty awesome truck but the dealer had it marked $5,000 over retail...

So offer them $10k under retail. That's the way I roll. When I bought my 1989 Toyota I test drove it with 2 miles on it, then they gave it to me for the day and I put almost 100 miles on it. I made them an offer and they wouldn't budge. I told them to call me when they could meet my offer. They called me a couple times over the next few months, but wouldn't meet my offer. After 6 months they called and said "come on down". They accepted my offer.

I'd be all over a diesel Tundra......as long as they made it with a manual transmission.

So offer them $10k under retail. That's the way I roll. When I bought my 1989 Toyota I test drove it with 2 miles on it, then they gave it to me for the day and I put almost 100 miles on it. I made them an offer and they wouldn't budge. I told them to call me when they could meet my offer. They called me a couple times over the next few months, but wouldn't meet my offer. After 6 months they called and said "come on down". They accepted my offer.

I'd be all over a diesel Tundra......as long as they made it with a manual transmission.
That's a TRD Pro. They'll get their money for it.

Sapcut

WKR
It never ceases to amaze me that anyone would actually pay money for a vehicle made by Chrylser. Everyone knows they are horribly reliable. Is it... Be American, Buy American?? How bout this....Be American, Don't make disposable vehicles, Make Land Cruisers.

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
Just buy a Raptor and don’t look back. All the suspension stuff is covered under warranty and you won’t find a more comfortable off-road setup from the factory.
Looks like somebody found this three year old thread on google and needed to chime in

fmyth

WKR
It never ceases to amaze me that anyone would actually pay money for a vehicle made by Chrylser. Everyone knows they are horribly reliable. Is it... Be American, Buy American?? How bout this....Be American, Don't make disposable vehicles, Make Land Cruisers.
My 2008 Ram 1500 went 280k miles with no major repairs. My 2019 has 38k miles and has only been back to the dealer for a recall on the floor mat.

Sapcut

WKR
My 2008 Ram 1500 went 280k miles with no major repairs. My 2019 has 38k miles and has only been back to the dealer for a recall on the floor mat.
You got a good one made on a Wednesday, perhaps. But it is not secret that Chrysler has a very bad reputation and has for many years regarding reliability.

fmyth

WKR
You got a good one made on a Wednesday, perhaps. But it is not secret that Chrysler has a very bad reputation and has for many years regarding reliability

You got a good one made on a Wednesday, perhaps. But it is not secret that Chrysler has a very bad reputation and has for many years regarding reliability.
Do you own a Ram truck?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 7.16.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 7.16.45 PM.png
    62.9 KB · Views: 52
I have driven a tow truck for too many years now, and when picking up a ram at the dealership with a grenaded motor another truck was dropping one off for the same thing and another pulled up with a jeep and one of the techs started laughing and said that they don’t even need to put a sign out front, you can tell where the Chrysler dealership if you just look for all the tow trucks… I rarely tow tundras, usually 200k+ with a bad starter or fuel pump, some newer chevy’s usually electrical issues older ones tranny, and the def diesels here and there. fords here and there, more f150s than 250s except for the 6.uhoh diesels. I do have a buddy that has a ram eco diesel he abuses that seems to be fine, but I’ve seen a lot that have blown motors. I have always driven what I tow the least and currently drive a tacoma, previously a 5.7 tundra. if I had to tow something bigger than my small Tt I’d typically go with a tundra, but they changed the motors recently so I’d wait a couple years and see how they seem to hold up. If I had to have something bigger I’d go with a Ford F-250. Just my personal experience…

MattB

WKR
After my buddy had a near death experience in his Dodge truck due to the steering failing while on the highway and then the company blowing him off by saying the accident caused the part to fail - and then ultimately issuing a recall for the part in question, I would never consider one.

fmyth

WKR
I hate to break it to you but Toyota has stopped production of the Land Cruiser.