2020 Rokslide Cooler Challenge

I spoke with a salesperson at Yeti about the magnetic closers. She said the biggest complaint was the entry into the bag. With the magnetic top just grab the opening length wise and pull into your body. She opened it with no problem and the opening was much larger.

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I spoke with a salesperson at Yeti about the magnetic closers. She said the biggest complaint was the entry into the bag. With the magnetic top just grab the opening length wise and pull into your body. She opened it with no problem and the opening was much larger.

They have a video on the product page that shows several “tricks” on how to open the cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MThuntr

WKR
I know these test are an attempt to equalize brands but how about tests where someone opens a cooler once an hour with actual food and drinks being removed? I usually dedicate a cooler for frozen stuff that remains closed but the real challenge is keeping food and drinks cold in the heat with constant opening to grab a beer or burgers.

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know these test are an attempt to equalize brands but how about tests where someone opens a cooler once an hour with actual food and drinks being removed? I usually dedicate a cooler for frozen stuff that remains closed but the real challenge is keeping food and drinks cold in the heat with constant opening to grab a beer or burgers.

Those tests are too subjective for me. Results will vary too much from what I get, then what you get, and whay peter will get down the street. I am trying to come up with something though....

MThuntr

WKR
Those tests are too subjective for me. Results will vary too much from what I get, then what you get, and whay peter will get down the street. I am trying to come up with something though....

That's kind of what I think but I feel softsided coolers are really a day or 2 kind of thing (maybe that's just me)...

Maybe fill a cooler with say 24 drinks, ketchup, mustard, and say 2 or 3 packs of brats. Open cooler hourly remove a drink then after 6hrs remove a package of brat and condiments. Replace condiments at the top of the hour and grab a drink...continue until say 10pm. Next day repeat and compare. Weekend adventure style.

Thanks for taking the time, I admire the effort and idea!

If doing this again, a couple suggestions;

* A more Controlled Environment, like the shade. They are in the sun, kind of, - is it equal on all? Reflectivity of the fabric to sun another variable intended?

* The Infrared Thermometer after opening in the sun is not a good measurement. Suggest a Thermocouple, dedicated for each bag, all staying closed. Maybe attached to the top of a can in a six pack. Record the temperatures by time.

Thermocouples are easy to make, just twist and solder one end of the wire. The other end, add a male connector, will probably plug right into the meter you had.

If you you need help with the Thermocouples, PM me. I'll make some and mail them to you, no charge.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

* A more Controlled Environment, like the shade. They are in the sun, kind of, - is it equal on all? Reflectivity of the fabric to sun another variable intended?

* The Infrared Thermometer after opening in the sun is not a good measurement. Suggest a Thermocouple, dedicated for each bag, all staying closed. Maybe attached to the top of a can in a six pack. Record the temperatures by time.

Thermocouples are easy to make, just twist and solder one end of the wire. The other end, add a male connector, will probably plug right into the meter you had.

If you you need help with the Thermocouples, PM me. I'll make some and mail them to you, no charge.

Hi, we missed your comment! sorry we’re just getting to it. The test is designed to keep the coolers in actual hunting conditions and how somebody would use them.

You’re right, might not be able to exactly control the sun angle on each cooler, but they’re still out in the sun, and that’s what we want to test. As far as the reflectivity variable, that’s up to the cooler manufacturer, and we just test them side-by-side. Fully realizing that is a variable.

We don’t wanna leave the lids closed, because when you’re hunting we don’t leave the lid closed. They all get opened an equal amount of time, so should be a fair test across the brands.

Thanks for the offer on the thermocouple!

@Travis Bertrand

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member

Thanks for the info! Im not sure how I missed this.

Yes, they were equal on all. I try to be as fair, and consistent as possible.

Ill PM you on thermocouples. I imagine they will plug into a Fluke 88?

The issue i have is, keeping it open to dry out after using it. I have been sticking something in the opening to keep the lid open to allow the cooler to dry.

ofrogg

FNG
It takes more energy to cool air than water.
Sorry... new here... but. How do you mean? From a heat capacity perspective, water has 6x the capacity of air... hence why power plants use cooling water, rather than air.

STILL THOUGH! Love the real world test!!! THANKS!!!