2020 Rokslide Mtn Tough Workout Thread

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Would you guys/gals feel prepared for the backcountry if all you did was 2 rounds of 30/30? I’ll be starting it soon and hoping to follow it with 45-70 to get ready for this year

Yes I would on the 30-30. Haven't done the 45-70. But I do believe if you did the 30-30 you'd be in a good place by the end of it.

Teaman1

WKR
Yes I would on the 30-30. Haven't done the 45-70. But I do believe if you did the 30-30 you'd be in a good place by the end of it.

I was hoping you’d respond. Read some of your posts and heard some of your hunting stories on the podcast. I feel better about trying it because you would know from experience if it was a difference maker.

SemperHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Holy smokes! I am beyond out of shape and started out with the 22's this morning. I feel like crap and am incredibly disappointed in myself for getting this out of shape, but I've got roughly 80 days to improve that before chasing mule deer and elk in Idaho.

I started out with the preseason prep, is there another program y'all would recommend? This is literally day 1.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Holy smokes! I am beyond out of shape and started out with the 22's this morning. I feel like crap and am incredibly disappointed in myself for getting this out of shape, but I've got roughly 80 days to improve that before chasing mule deer and elk in Idaho.

I started out with the preseason prep, is there another program y'all would recommend? This is literally day 1.

Awesome! The Preseason Program is as good a place to start as any.

My recommendation is to watch every video and follow the instructions as closely as possible. It is absolutely essential to do the full warm up, band walks, and cool down with the “mobility” sets as prescribed. This helps a ton with injury prevention and soreness (trust me you will still experience plenty of soreness).

Don’t be shy about going with light weights to get through the workouts completely and with good form. Use the recommended beginner, intermediate, and elite weights as a guideline, not a rule.

The toughest part is staying motivated. Stick with it!

SemperHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Well, it's been 14 days but I've been pushing it on catching up since I started on a Wednesday. I'm actually nearly through week 3. I did my first Alsobrook yesterday which kicked my butt and I was really contemplating skipping this morning but I'm glad I stuck it out. 2 weeks in, I actually gained a pound or two but I expect once my body normalizes a little some weight ought to start shedding off and it won't be just water weight. I've got a little more energy and I'm feeling a little better which I know will only improve as I keep going. I'm stoked to see my progress in another month. I won't be in phenomenal shape for Idaho but I'll damn sure be in better shape than I started.

This program really worked for me. Stronger in season this year. Getting back into in now that season is over. Good luck to all.

When doing workouts like the Devil's 55, what weight is supposed to be in the pack? 40? The other routines I did from them all had a pack weight specified.
I found this:

It appears that the pack weight is variable for each exercise? Kind of odd for a timed event. Is this right?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I just bought the no gym bundle, seemed like a good deal for lots of workouts. I just wanted to switch things up and add more exercises for the legs and different forms of cardio. I was also looking for something in Can just do at home or anywhere since the gym here has this crappy sign up, 2 people at a time rule. I can do these workouts at work before coming home or out in my shop, even outside.

I plan to sort of just run through the programs starting tomorrow morning with the 30-30 plan. First workout is 22s which I’ve done before but not for a long time. I’m in good shape but hopefully this will kick my ass and help be kick it up a level or 2.

What pack do you guys recommend for the 45/70?
I just finished 45-70.

Used a seek revolution fortress for it. Love that pack. Going to give it a soak before the season though.

There are a few days where there are 2 weights involved, so I used the pack with one, and a sandbag for the other.

ncstewart

WKR
This looks old but just a shout out to mnt tough for the foundation program! I’m really liking those for getting back going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm still pondering the best way to use of the current Subscription-model that MTNTough is running on now. They do still have video collections available in the MTNtough+ program, but as has already been covered here, the content doesn't include some of the newer programs that are behind the sub-paywall. I'm not sure if the newer content is available for download, which would mean - no-sub, no content, unless it was purchased from the Mtntough+ collection.

Anyone used the subscription-only-plan? A 14 day trial won't tell me more than I've already read here. Would I be able to look back on a years subscription and say I got my money's worth? I'm assuming a monthly doesn't pay into the yearly if I decided to change subs, so figured I'd go for the year if the content really is valuable for training.

I'm all about supporting a good business, but I also hate that feeling of buyer's remorse, when I could've spent that $239 on a piece of kit. I've always worked out at home, so don't have that "gym-membership" allotment in my budget, and though I suppose $239 is pretty cheap for a year at a gym, there's no equipment provided by MTNTough, so the coaching must be pretty great!

Thanks for any additional viewpoints, now that their model has changed a bit.
DT

thej5

FNG
I'm still pondering the best way to use of the current Subscription-model that MTNTough is running on now. They do still have video collections available in the MTNtough+ program, but as has already been covered here, the content doesn't include some of the newer programs that are behind the sub-paywall. I'm not sure if the newer content is available for download, which would mean - no-sub, no content, unless it was purchased from the Mtntough+ collection.

Anyone used the subscription-only-plan? A 14 day trial won't tell me more than I've already read here. Would I be able to look back on a years subscription and say I got my money's worth? I'm assuming a monthly doesn't pay into the yearly if I decided to change subs, so figured I'd go for the year if the content really is valuable for training.

I'm all about supporting a good business, but I also hate that feeling of buyer's remorse, when I could've spent that $239 on a piece of kit. I've always worked out at home, so don't have that "gym-membership" allotment in my budget, and though I suppose $239 is pretty cheap for a year at a gym, there's no equipment provided by MTNTough, so the coaching must be pretty great!

Thanks for any additional viewpoints, now that their model has changed a bit.
DT

thej5

FNG
I can't remember when it ends, but I just finished the first week of my mtntough workouts and tipped my buddy off to a sweet deal they were offering for the new year. Something like 50% off an annual subscription. Worth checking that out.

I decided that my 2023 hunt training actually started on January 1, but am honestly still learning my way into the sea of content that's available. I'm happy to look in the app to see what is / isn't available...but it's a lot, and I'd be Cam Hanes ripped if I could EVER get through it all.

Week one was enough to send me into the ice bath repeatedly but has been easy to follow, if NOT always easy to complete :)