2020 Rokslide Mtn Tough Workout Thread

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
It’s time to start a new thread for keeping track of Mtn Tough workouts in 2020!

I know @Jordan Budd and I are both doing it again this year. I plan on keeping this thread updated as I go, but it isn’t just for the Rokstaff.

I know there are plenty of Roksliders and lurkers that are doing the programs too!

Please post about your progress and your reactions to the workouts. Don’t post the workout (remember Mtn Tough has to keep their lights on), but rather how it went for you. If you want to brag about weights you lifted, or times you made, or pounds you lost, feel free to do so.

Have fun, and stay injury-free out there!

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I actually did Day 3 of Week 5 on the Post Season Program today.

I started the post season program for 2020 just after the New Year.

This was a challenging series of supersets including deadlifts, pull-ups, c-raises, and single arm dumbbell rows, before a brutal core/jump rope superset session.

I loved it. I am being really mindful of my form with deadlifts to avoid injury.

This workout with the warmup including dislocates and band walks, and cool down ended up taking me around an hour and 20 minutes, which is one of the longest total gym times Ive had with the post season program.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for firing this up Matt.. I just completed Week 3 day 3 of the program this morning. Week 3 is when they start putting some weight on in the lifts. The first couple weeks are pretty much super light or no weight, just trying to get your muscles used to moving and used to the specific moves.

I will say I feel much stronger and better about the lifts/moves now over how I felt last year. Last year was a little brutal getting started, but after I got that muscle built it seems to have held.

Peaking into tomorrows workout I see it's called the Grinder... see you on the other side.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I will say I feel much stronger and better about the lifts/moves now over how I felt last year. Last year was a little brutal getting started, but after I got that muscle built it seems to have held.

I feel exactly the same way, other than I also had to work around a couple lingering hunting season injuries in the first month of the post season program, which held me back on weights a little bit.

Peaking into tomorrows workout I see it's called the Grinder... see you on the other side.

The Grinder is one of my favorites ... enjoy.

h2so4

WKR
Quick newb question- do you share what the workout is or just refer to it as weekXdayX.
my workout this morning was a lovely mix of heavy weight and cardio.1 rep max back squat and then 3 rounds of: 500m row, 15 front squats. 12 min max time.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Quick newb question- do you share what the workout is or just refer to it as weekXdayX.
my workout this morning was a lovely mix of heavy weight and cardio.1 rep max back squat and then 3 rounds of: 500m row, 15 front squats. 12 min max time.

We refer to them as week x day x. It’s a paid platform so we don’t want to give too much of what they have going on away. There are a few free workouts that give you a taste on their website. One is what they call their 22’s... it’d be something like this:

Step-ups: 20 Push-ups:2
Step-ups: 18 Push ups: 4
16 6
14 8

... and so on until your back to 2 - 20.

Doesn’t seem too bad but that’s a lot of freakin push ups and step ups after it’s all over. And the exercises change but that’s an example. You should check it out. Their post season program is pretty similar to what you did today.. as far as trying to build muscle back on.

CHSD

WKR
I am doing to pre-season program now as I need to lose some weight and want to cardio aspect of the pre-season. I did the post season for 2 months and felt as strong as I ever have. The program is a butt kicker for sure! I always leave the gym in a pool of sweat!

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
This morning was Week 5 Day 4 the “Mind Splitter”

Oh yes, now I remember this one from last year...

The workout is composed of 5 difficult rounds of 4 exercises descending and then Ascending in reps... for time.

I did the intermediate weights and finished in 52 minutes 37 seconds, totally wiped.

The final instruction given for the workout is in all-caps:

“DO NOT QUIT!”

Good advice.

KHNC

WKR
I follow other programming this time of year. Plan is to start round 3 of Mtn Tough again on June 1.

KHNC

WKR
This morning was Week 5 Day 4 the “Mind Splitter”

Oh yes, now I remember this one from last year...

The workout is composed of 5 difficult rounds of 4 exercises descending and then Ascending in reps... for time.

I did the intermediate weights and finished in 52 minutes 37 seconds, totally wiped.

The final instruction given for the workout is in all-caps:

“DO NOT QUIT!”

Good advice.
yes, that was a tough one!

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Today was Week 6 Day 1.

Same heavy lifting day as last week and I went up 10%ish on weights from last Monday.

It took concentration to get deep in the squats.

I was still a little sore from this past weekend’s excellent skiing conditions, but I got through the workout fine.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Week 6 Day 2:

25 minute AMRAP with cardio + 3 dumbbell lifts.

I did 16 rounds like last week, but went up 5 pounds for each dumbbell.

In and out of the gym quickly today.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm already slacking on posts!

The last few workouts have been great. Still feeling stronger on a muscle front than last year.. my cardio is a little lacking but that's always my weakness.

Today is Week 4 day 3, haven't started it yet. Getting through this cup of coffee and then in the gym I go. Looks like it's back to lifting with super-sets. Having a little trouble with a hamstring from an unrelated incident so I might switch that lift out for calf raises.

Hey @Matt Cashell , do you take a pre-workout? I've started drinking black coffee in the mornings before I workout rather than a pre-workout. Seems to be doing me well. If I move a workout back to the afternoons I can see a pre-workout being a little more effective for me.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Hey @Matt Cashell , do you take a pre-workout?.

I sure do. One banana.

Today was Week 6 Day 3.

Heavy deadlifts/pull-ups then rows/shoulders, finally core/jump rope.

Deadlifts are a great lift. I would never choose to do them, but I get them done because they are part of the Mtn Tough program.

A huge benefit of this system is it gets you out of your comfort zone.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Yesterday was a travel day for me, but I got Week 6 Day 4 done this morning.

It was the Mindsplitter again, but this time I had to alter it to a body weight version here at the hotel.

Still tough.

At sheep show, Dustin mentioned a Mtn Tough body weight program for just these situations, and I am going to have to research that more.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Week 7 Day 1:

Upped the weight on squats and incline bench again this week.

Went up 10 lbs on each dumbbell for farmer carries too.

Sweating hard for a strength day.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Week 7 Day 2:

Double kettlebells.

Stuck with the same weight from last week.

I got through 17 rounds in 25 minutes.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been slacking on my updates:

Caught up on Sunday so back on the M-F schedule.

Week 5 day 1:
Pretty much the same strength workout as Matt had. I went up in my squat weight.

Week 5 day 2:
Kettle-bell work out. I liked this one a lot but I was pretty slow. Beginners are supposed to aim for 12 rounds and that's what I had. Feeling the weekend in SLC with this cardio day. Hopefully Thursday will be better.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Week 7 Day 3.

Deadlifts and pull-ups again.

Went up 5% on weights.

Core went better and my jump roping has improved dramatically.