2020 She Said So

OP
CiK01

CiK01

WKR
Yall will have a blast. I wouldn't let the one kidney worry yall too much. I was born with only one. Didn't find out until I ended up in the hospital for three days with food poison. So after 36 years at that time playing contact sports thru school, joining the army and a lot of stupid stuff I've inflicted on my body over the years I'm totally fine for the most part. Enjoy your trip. Let us know how it goes.

You have no idea how good we feel when my wife and I hear others tell us their story. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
CiK01

CiK01

WKR
Good luck to you guys. Will be fun no matter if you tag out or not. BTW: My dad had one kidney but didn't know it until he was 80! He passed at 84 from un related surgical complications.

It freaked us out when we learned about it, but the more we hear stories like this the better.

OP
CiK01

CiK01

WKR
Good luck on the hunt!
My son was born with only one kidney as well. No major problems, he’s 12 now and plays basketball and soccer! Also loves to hunt and fish! ;)

That’s awesome! My wife is going to probably sway him towards hunting a fishing instead of football or hockey. I am happy to oblige her on that.

OP
CiK01

CiK01

WKR
Good luck. What units. Might be able to help.

I don’t want to name units, but the unit was home to the largest wildfire before this year. If you or anybody wanted to send me a message, I would be happy to talk the plan I do have.

We just arrived at the Airbnb, my biggest surprise coming up on the front range was the lack of snow. I hadn’t really looked at the weather until a few weeks ago, but I was prepared for them to be close to the winter concentration areas. With no visible snow, that feels like a bad idea and not conducive to getting that shot I want.

The plan going in was to hunt that big burn and check out the other small one from 2012 in the unit too.

Darrin

FNG
I'm cheering for you. God is in complete control and good on you and your wife for not getting down and pouting. Enjoy your time and hopefully you have an experience of a lifetime
Darrin

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Chad E

WKR
We just arrived at the Airbnb, my biggest surprise coming up on the front range was the lack of snow. I hadn’t really looked at the weather until a few weeks ago, but I was prepared for them to be close to the winter concentration areas. With no visible snow, that feels like a bad idea and not conducive to getting that shot I want.

Not sure where your at but I just returned from a 3rd season hunt in a low 60s unit and there were plenty of deer down on the winter concentration areas (as defined by CPW) even without a ton of snow. I wouldn't rule them out just because of lack of snow. Best of luck man good things are coming your way.

Good luck to you. Have fun.

I shot my biggest buck, a 4 point muley, after spending 5 plus weeks in the hospital over the summer, learning to walk again, and dealing with the aftermath of sepsis. As my doctor says, if you were a private pilot you were clipping tree tops.

So, kudos to your wife for insisting. Kudos to you for listening. Have fun.

PS: in CO the snow can arrive quickly and leave quickly. I used to get to Denver for work occasionally. It can be 70 today, 18" snow on Tuesday and 70naga8n in Friday in time for golf.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

HECK YA taking 2020 by the horns. What a blessing. An amazing trip with an amazing family. Good luck!

def90

WKR
d8babedb0806674b9fc60b7c8d76fccf.jpg

So here we are.....halfway to Colorado making the most of a bad 2020. After I lost my job of 22 years because of COVID, I told my wife “maybe we shouldn’t take the trip”. She insisted. After we found out our newborn was going to be born with 1 kidney, I told my wife “maybe we shouldn’t take this trip”. She insisted. After an outpatient surgery left me with a 14cm abscess /infection/incision and a 4 month road to recovery, I told my wife “maybe we shouldn’t take this trip”. She insisted.

So here we are, halfway to Colorado on a 4th season mule deer tag with no expectations. A bad 2020 trumped any semblance of hunt preparation. “We are going to be fine,”, my wife insisted. She is right. No matter how bad 2020 could have been, I am blessed to be halfway to Colorado with the love of my life and our 3 littles.

The only plan I have from today on, is to land in the unit just over the front range, set up shop for her and the kids in the Airbnb, go hike with a rifle everyday and go back to them in the evening. God willing, He blesses me with an opportunity to pull the trigger one time.

Good luck to everybody out there still getting after it.

You picked a good one! What unit are you in?

def90

WKR
I don’t want to name units, but the unit was home to the largest wildfire before this year. If you or anybody wanted to send me a message, I would be happy to talk the plan I do have.

The plan going in was to hunt that big burn and check out the other small one from 2012 in the unit too.

Missed this.. I know what unit you are talking about now. I'll send you a message with some ideas later when I'm off my phone and back at my computer.

RR2012

Lil-Rokslider
Hoping the best for ya partner!! Good luck kill a big un! Let us know how it ends up.

OP
CiK01

CiK01

WKR
Day 1 scouting in the books, and in typical fashion my wife is showing me up. She took a picture of this guy walking by our Airbnb while I was out today. So many deer in town.

I scrounged up a forky and did a lot of driving to see the unit. Found a few places I could sit and glass. I am about 1500ft higher in elevation than where my wife was. I might have to perch on the roof the rest of the week.

unnamed.jpg

OP
CiK01

CiK01

WKR
Day 2 in the books. I am not feeling the burned area. Every time I cut across a deer while driving the unit, they are near wooded area (70%) or private (30%). Maybe the other hunting seasons and general front range traffic pushed them into sanctuaries already.

Still feels like a hike with a rifle. The glassing I have done didn’t pan out at all. I still have some options there. We’ll see.

Good luck to anybody reading this and heading out 4th season tomorrow.

Rich M

WKR
Pay attention to where you see the deer as opposed to where they are supposed to be. If the deer are in areas of legal hunting - find a place to park and get to it.

You've had a heck of a year - maybe take some time to sit back and make peace w yourself, then hunt? (if you need it) It is okay to focus on the hunting.

dakotaduner

Lil-Rokslider
Well I just don't know how you could beat a family trip like this and the memories it will create. Great looking family, thanks for sharing your trip with us.

NoWiser

WKR
Good luck! Most of all, I hope you enjoy every minute, whether there is a big buck in your future or not.