2020 Spring Bear Strategies

mtview

FNG
evening have been far more reliable for me historically in the spring.... or as soon as it quits raining and gets nice.... when that happens, and it's 2pm, 2pm will be the best time period that day if it rained for 6+hrs leading up to that.

I have been out 3 evenings so far, and a few random morning/mid day trips... the 3 evenings I have hunted, I glassed up bear, none yet any other hunts. they come out at all times, but it's random.... evenings are consistent.

I took my wife last night into an area I glassed far off the day before, it looked good and I wanted to check it out last night, so we went in there.... 5:03 a pig walks out, exactly where you would think one would come out.... it was a cool textbook encounter.

it was further than I wanted to shoot, and we had a nasty bottom between us and the bear and decided to not drag my wife through it.... I was anxious to make a move on him, but I didn't want my wife getting all beat up and likely coming back through that stuff in the dark, so we just watched it.

went back this morning, and no sign of him, sat on it for quite a few hours. going back tonight and expecting to see him again, and i'll be making a move as long as the wind allows..... not ready to be done hunting, but it's a dandy. most big boars have black faces, this bear had a light muzzle.... really good looking bear all around.

as long as hikers don't wreck my plans tonight, I have a good chance of killing that bear..... but you know how that goes, haha.... i'll be just as happy still having a tag tomorrow. it's been the best beginning I have seen, there is good feed early, and good weather.... like I expect last week of april/first of May.

if I had to pick 4 hrs to spring bear hunt, it would be the last 4 every time..... fall, it depends on the bear. I have hunted some that were out every morning.... like clock work

Great info and story. Thanks for your help!

daymoney

FNG
Weather is back to sunshine and 50 for a few days. Get after them bears fellas. I'll be out tomorrow afternoon getting some exercise and glassing some south facing slopes. Be safe!