2020 whatcha hunting

FLAK

WKR
Continuing the quest for a mature boar hog.
Maybe a Whitetail.
Hopefully I'll draw something in NM.
Exotics in TX.
Maybe draw a gator tag??
Mostly depends on the draws.

DOESLAYER

Lil-Rokslider
Hopefully become proficient enough with the stick bow to undertake my first backpack/DIY Trad hunt.

whitetail or boar.

I'm decent but not enough for an ethical shot.

bobinmi

WKR
Turkeys, Whitetail, Maybe bear if I draw my tag in MI. If the gods smile on me a Michigan Elk as well.

SD - whitetail, Mule deer, turkeys, and antelope. Plan to do some small game hunting too with traditional gear to get more shots in hunting situations. Rabbits, squirrels etc, whatever I find when out stumping.

Tradchef

WKR
Elk
whitetail
mulie
spring bear
turkey
hopefully draw a moose or sheep tag but not counting on it.
would like to go for hogs as it’s been a while since Ive hunted them.

With my bow: always elk and turkeys. I may try to venture into archery whitetails this year too, if I can get the tree equipment.
What kinda equipment? I went to a tree harness last year and will probably never buy another tree stand. It is probably not for everyone, but I highly recommend looking into it. I know people with zero issues shooting A Stickbow out of them too.

Felix40

WKR
Most likely high country mule deer, ks whitetails, and bear with the recurve. Everything else will be compound or rifle.

I’m planning on getting this:https://tactisaddle.com/

It seems very mobile, which is perfect for here.
I think you cannot go wrong with any of the bigger brands that are out there right now. Some are a little bulkier/heavy but more comfortable and the other lighter and maybe harder to get comfortable. I love to hunt in the black hills of S.D. I do a lot of spot and stalk and still hunt, I can have the entire set up ready to go with me if I find a good set up. Commit to using it and I think you will be impressed. I know it helped me not get busted on multiple occasions due to the ability to swing around the back side of the tree. It also allowed me to hunt out of trees I wouldn’t have ever tried to get a stand in, and this got me onto some mature deer because other stand hunters stayed out of those areas. But you probably already know this all. Enjoy! Hope to see some success next year from it. I plan to use it turkey hunting this year instead of using a ground blind.

I think you cannot go wrong with any of the bigger brands that are out there right now. Some are a little bulkier/heavy but more comfortable and the other lighter and maybe harder to get comfortable. I love to hunt in the black hills of S.D. I do a lot of spot and stalk and still hunt, I can have the entire set up ready to go with me if I find a good set up. Commit to using it and I think you will be impressed. I know it helped me not get busted on multiple occasions due to the ability to swing around the back side of the tree. It also allowed me to hunt out of trees I wouldn’t have ever tried to get a stand in, and this got me onto some mature deer because other stand hunters stayed out of those areas. But you probably already know this all. Enjoy! Hope to see some success next year from it. I plan to use it turkey hunting this year instead of using a ground blind.

You may be right. The new trophyline saddle gets great reviews and the package is a good price. I just like the minimalist idea of the tactisaddle.

There’s a sweeeeet honey hole elk wallow I know of that I want to set the saddle up on this year. I’ve called in big bulls twice there, but I haven’t been able to close the deal. I think if I can set up right over it, and put a decoy on the ground, I can seal the deal.

You may be right. The new trophyline saddle gets great reviews and the package is a good price. I just like the minimalist idea of the tactisaddle.

There’s a sweeeeet honey hole elk wallow I know of that I want to set the saddle up on this year. I’ve called in big bulls twice there, but I haven’t been able to close the deal. I think if I can set up right over it, and put a decoy on the ground, I can seal the deal.
One of the managers at a pro shop around here was just talking about hunting over a wallow in a saddle with a stick bow. What happened in the past? See you or wind you? thermals get you? I own a tethered system and love it. I use milk weed to test wind... you can see what the wind is doing by you and however far you can watch it float away. Food for thought.

One of the managers at a pro shop around here was just talking about hunting over a wallow in a saddle with a stick bow. What happened in the past? See you or wind you? thermals get you? I own a tethered system and love it. I use milk weed to test wind... you can see what the wind is doing by you and however far you can watch it float away. Food for thought.

The wallow is at the very bottom of a long, steep draw, and the wind gets tricky down there.

The issues I had were that the first year, the bull couldn’t see another elk, so he wouldn’t come in any further and eventually just walked off. I never could get him back in after that.

The following year, I had one hang up again, but this time I pushed hard through the thick alders on the slope of the draw straight at him. He was pumped and standing his ground, but I was so aggressive and determined, that I literally stepped right in front of one of his bedded cows and she barked at me. It scared me so bad, I almost threw my bow straight up in the air! Unfortunately, it scared the bull too...

The wallow is at the very bottom of a long, steep draw, and the wind gets tricky down there.

The issues I had were that the first year, the bull couldn’t see another elk, so he wouldn’t come in any further and eventually just walked off. I never could get him back in after that.

The following year, I had one hang up again, but this time I pushed hard through the thick alders on the slope of the draw straight at him. He was pumped and standing his ground, but I was so aggressive and determined, that I literally stepped right in front of one of his bedded cows and she barked at me. It scared me so bad, I almost threw my bow straight up in the air! Unfortunately, it scared the bull too...
man what a fun hunt that was then. I’ve yet to be on an elk hunt. Though I regularly run into elk where I deer hunt. It is so fun stalking into a group of elk even when I don’t have a tag, so I can’t even imagine picking a fight with a bull like that. Keep at it, sounds like you will get one before long.
Is it a big wallow that gets sunlight during the day? The thermals will be dropping in the evening obviously... but if that wallow soaks up some sun it will have warm air above it when the temperature drops in the evening. That warm air will rise and it will suck air around the wallow to it and up above it... if that makes sense. So in the right conditions getting right by the wallow may work well in the evening. Idk how many people know about pond thermals like that.

bushpilot

Lil-Rokslider
Here in B.C. we have the fortune of opportunity. Spring time will bring black bear and turkeys, in the early fall I am planning Stone Sheep, Mt Goat and Caribou. Then Bighorn, Mule Deer, Elk closer to home. Followed by late season whitetail deer. With some luck I will be pulling the string back on something this year.