2020 WY Elk Rut Dates

Hi guys - Im a flatlander flying into Central WY in Sept to hunt elk for 7 days. This is a limited draw unit with minimal pressure. The following are my two options:

1. Sept 12 - 20th
- coincides with the new moon
- the week before the "peak" rut so bulls wont be. herded and less likely to take their cows and run

2. Sept 20-27th
- still a great moon
- the week is "peak" rut

Main question - which week represents the best chance to call in the most bulls to get as many opportunities as possible? I am gettiny conflicting opinions with some saying bulls wont be as easy to locate during option 1 and also wont be as easy to call in during option 2. Its a special year with the rut occuring during the dark moon and Im pretty excited.

Kodiak

FNG
That is a super variable question. Weather, pressure and luck will play a roll in how rutted up the elk are. I have killed bugling bulls as early as Aug 22 in Wyoming when they still had early tags. Last year the bull I killed on October 19 was still bugling and had a big group of cows.
Personaly I feel it is easier to call in any elk earlier rather than later. If you arn’t looking for a giant herd bull, I would go early and realize that 8 days out of a season can be hit or miss with hitting the rut.
just commit to a time, hunt hard and have fun!

tntrker

WKR
I read that the moon phases do not/will not effect the Rocky Mtn elk like it can on other elk/deer/ animals. Weather is the deciding factor as far a changes in their activity and not to be discouraged if the moon phase doesn't seem to be in favor at the time of your hunt. The Equinox is a different story though...just what I read.....

Laramie

WKR
Most mature bulls will be with a herd of cows by the 12th. I tend to hunt earlier but between your two selections, it's a coil flip to me. Your best chance to call in any bull will likely be the 2nd dates IF the weather is in your favor, and you are in an area with good ratios. Satellite bulls can be relatively easy to call in areas with good bull to cow ratios during the peak. If you are hunting a lower density area, I would go with the first dates. The moon is a factor to me- not so much in dictating actual peak rut dates but rather daytime activity of the overall herd.

Overdrive

WKR
I guess if it was me I'd ask myself am I targeting a Big Bull or happy with just a Raghorn? I find it easier to call Big Bull before they get herded up with cows, they wont leave cows they can see to the sound of a cow in the distance very often. Raghorns can be called in at anytime of the year. For the 18 years of archery hunting I've done, I've yet to see a bull mount a cow in September, But I've seen bull's mount multiple cows during the first 10-14 days of October, my Opinion is that the rut is later than most people think. If you think about it a cows gestation period is 240-260 days, I usually see calves hitting the ground first and second week of June.

OP
L
Most mature bulls will be with a herd of cows by the 12th. I tend to hunt earlier but between your two selections, it's a coil flip to me. Your best chance to call in any bull will likely be the 2nd dates IF the weather is in your favor, and you are in an area with good ratios. Satellite bulls can be relatively easy to call in areas with good bull to cow ratios during the peak. If you are hunting a lower density area, I would go with the first dates. The moon is a factor to me- not so much in dictating actual peak rut dates but rather daytime activity of the overall herd.
This is helpful. I had assumed bulls would cover more ground to investigate a cow call during that pre-peak week. Because the moon is so dark during that first option I assumed they would be buggling all throughout the day on the 13th-20th. May need to reconsider.

OP
L
I guess if it was me I'd ask myself am I targeting a Big Bull or happy with just a Raghorn? I find it easier to call Big Bull before they get herded up with cows, they wont leave cows they can see to the sound of a cow in the distance very often. Raghorns can be called in at anytime of the year. For the 18 years of archery hunting I've done, I've yet to see a bull mount a cow in September, But I've seen bull's mount multiple cows during the first 10-14 days of October, my Opinion is that the rut is later than most people think. If you think about it a cows gestation period is 240-260 days, I usually see calves hitting the ground first and second week of June.
Thank you. This is helpful. First time elk hunter and hoping for the week with the most daytime buggling and the easiest to get within bow range.

wytx

WKR
I'll ask, is this a guided hunt on private land ? If so it doesn't matter.
You'll find even in great areas daytime bugling may end at sunrise.
If you're DIY on public, getting ether early means less calling they have heard before you get there.

OP
L
I'll ask, is this a guided hunt on private land ? If so it doesn't matter.
You'll find even in great areas daytime bugling may end at sunrise.
If you're DIY on public, getting ether early means less calling they have heard before you get there.
IT's a limited draw public land hunt.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I love how the prognosticators like to predict the peak rut days. I've never had any luck on those supposed best days. You could choose the "experts" best dates and get crappy weather that ruins them, when the week you passed up was a bugle fest. It sucks that you are limited to a week. Two weeks would give you a much better chance with more wiggle room for weather changes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
I prefer to hunt later. Weather is a big factor for me. The later you go the better chance you will have cooler temps. If it is hot they just don't move much other than first and last light. I don't like to move much when it is hot either. With both of your date choices you are likely going to have pressured elk. I'm assuming the season opens on the first in the unit.

I look at pressure differently than a lot of folks. I don't think a weeks extra "pressure" that time of year is going to make any difference in your hunt. Guys have already been chasing them around for 12 days. 8 more days won't make a material difference in the hunt.