2020 WY elk

Once he gets your money, he will have it until you draw! Probably will make you roll it over to 2021 when you dont draw. But, if you check the odds on WY G&F , you can see the odds are super low for a 1 pt draw. Plus i know from personal experience how hard its getting to draw a Gen Elk , even with Special.

Man.....OK. I guess I better tell my buddy not to get too fired up about that one...we will put in for some other areas for a backup plan.

grossklw

Lil-Rokslider
He's absolutely correct. 1 point in the special last year had 17% odds, if you had 2 I would say it's a slam dunk. Last year the random draw was around 25% success rate. You could draw, but I sure as hell wouldn't count on it.

I would either save some extra cash and go special or wait it out and hunt another state that you could draw with zero/1 point. You have the points invested...the gen tag is great but you're in a spot to get a great unit in the next 1-3 years.

wapitibob

WKR
It took just over 1 point to draw a special gen license last year, 1.1667 actually.

Odds were over 35% in the special random.

Man.....OK. I guess I better tell my buddy not to get too fired up about that one...we will put in for some other areas for a backup plan.

I wouldnt let this take the wind out of your sails but, like mentioned above, where you will be sitting next year, the odds are against you even in the special. As others have mentioned, the Wyo gen tag is getting extremely popular. I am guilty of being dependent on it as part of my go every year/now every other year. But even this year, I had 2pts and had to go into the special for it to be guaranteed. I would imagine that by the next time I am able to hunt the gen tag it will likely take 3-4 years. I honestly dont see that even a recession would change much with how many people want to hunt elk right now. We are at a turning point in a lot of these western states that were once easy opportunities/backups (i.e. Wyo, Montana, good OTC Idaho units that now sell out in seconds).

Curious to see where elk hunting opportunity is in the next 5-10 years