2020 Wyoming Antelope/Mule Deer Hunt

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
You are on a great start, here are my recommendations to your expenses/gear list:

Primos Trigger Sticks - I would either go with a non trigger stick bipod or a camera tripod instead of the trigger stick version (I had the trigger stick tripod and ditched it for a quality camera tripod + cheap cabelas bipod. If you have a spotter get a tripod, if you plan on just using binos get a bipod and save up for a tripod+spotter.
Vortex Bino Adaptor - Only necessary if you are glassing off a tripod. I would recommend the Outdoorsmans Adapter system instead. Additionally if you aren't after a trophy book buck, save the weight a just glass off your knees/offhand.
Badlands Mag Bino Case - Nice bino pouch, only critiques are its large n the magnetic closure can "snap" closed. I prefer the FHF harness.
Mystery Ranch Metcalf-Subalpine
Camp Chef Stove w/propane
5 degree sleeping bag & pad
Otterbox Venture 65 Cooler - Coleman Xtreme Marine 120 qt cooler (they cost $50 off the Big A website. I have a few and they are solid coolers)
Artice Ice Tundra 3x5lb ice packs - Half gallon milk jugs frozen + dry ice on the trip home with meat
2x 5gal water jugs - I would go at least two jugs and a case or two of bottled water depending on the unit and conditions.
2× 5gal gas cans

Additionally you mentioned a sat phone rental, I would check out a Garmin Inreach and the subscriptions they offer. Unless you need to physically speak to someone, the Inreach fits the bill imo.

I am in preparation for heading west this fall, my group will be chasing Antelope in early October out in WY. I am slowly starting to develop my packing list.

OP
M

Mosster47

Lil-Rokslider
You are on a great start, here are my recommendations to your expenses/gear list:

Primos Trigger Sticks - I would either go with a non trigger stick bipod or a camera tripod instead of the trigger stick version (I had the trigger stick tripod and ditched it for a quality camera tripod + cheap cabelas bipod. If you have a spotter get a tripod, if you plan on just using binos get a bipod and save up for a tripod+spotter.
Vortex Bino Adaptor - Only necessary if you are glassing off a tripod. I would recommend the Outdoorsmans Adapter system instead. Additionally if you aren't after a trophy book buck, save the weight a just glass off your knees/offhand.
Badlands Mag Bino Case - Nice bino pouch, only critiques are its large n the magnetic closure can "snap" closed. I prefer the FHF harness.
Mystery Ranch Metcalf-Subalpine
Camp Chef Stove w/propane
5 degree sleeping bag & pad
Otterbox Venture 65 Cooler - Coleman Xtreme Marine 120 qt cooler (they cost $50 off the Big A website. I have a few and they are solid coolers)
Artice Ice Tundra 3x5lb ice packs - Half gallon milk jugs frozen + dry ice on the trip home with meat
2x 5gal water jugs - I would go at least two jugs and a case or two of bottled water depending on the unit and conditions.
2× 5gal gas cans

Additionally you mentioned a sat phone rental, I would check out a Garmin Inreach and the subscriptions they offer. Unless you need to physically speak to someone, the Inreach fits the bill imo.

I am in preparation for heading west this fall, my group will be chasing Antelope in early October out in WY. I am slowly starting to develop my packing list.
A buddy of mine has the new Gen 3 Trigger Sticks that lock the legs at what angle you want. He bought a angled head for the screw on attachment and also uses it as his trekking pole.

I'm a bit skeptical that one thing can handle glassing, hiking, and shooting well for $100, but for what won't be a tremendously demanding hunt I'm up for trying.

The raising and lowering with a trigger is absolutely genius though and seems like all tripods should eventually have that ability.

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
I agree that the trigger sticks adjust-ability is top notch, I would just make sure you can accurately shoot off the tripod. I have tried the Gen 3 sticks and was not overly impressed with their rigidness for shooting & glassing, especially with the weight of a spotter or rifle. Additionally I am not a huge fan of tripods for shooting, it always seems in the field that one leg is in the way. My current tripod has the ability to remove one of its legs to use as a treking pole or to turn it in to a shooting bipod (Promaster 525).

Did this trip last year and will be doing again this year...
Forget the trigger sticks...you will get tired of draggin them around. I added a bipod to my rifle this yr.

Dont waste ur money on the vortex bino adapter..its a PIA...go with outdoorsman stud.. I bought one the day I got back from WY.

Artic Ice...dont need it...I freeze milk jugs...keeps stuff cold and u have water as they melt.

Get in shape and practice shooting with an elevated heart rate from any position but bench rest.

Have fun and be safe!

Rich M

WKR
Fun isn't it!?

I did all that in 2017 for what was a 3-day antelope hunt (hunted days 1 and 3, slept in on day 2 in the rain - we killed 3 on opener and 1 on day 3). Picked up whatever else I "needed" and did an 8-day mule deer hunt in 2019.

Sad thing is half the stuff folks said to do/buy online wasn't right for me. LOL! If it was possible, doing a hunt first would be the best way to go - to see what you feel you need for your future hunting.

We truck camped - tent, coleman stove, folding chairs, the works. If you are gonna truck camp, you may be able to use whatever you already have at home as opposed to buying some stuff that you can later decide if you "need".

I do have a trigger stick - first gen and it works nice. Had also gotten a cheap $15 aluminum shooting stick from walmart and it worked fine too. I'll be flying for next trip and will use one of the cheap sticks.

Funny how many guys I saw who were road hunting and putting on full large packs to do a stalk on an antelope less than 1/4 mile away. Just cause you read it somewhere doesn't make it necessary.

Also funny how I went to a 1500 ci lumbar pack from the full pack. Wasn't getting deep enough (couple miles) to justify lugging the full pack around and had all I needed in the smaller pack. Guess that's why a lot of folks carry "day packs" when doing base camp type hunts. Love that lumbar pack and see a lot more use out of it in other circumstances too.

Use pillow cases for game bags - say you buy 8 pillow cases at Walmart for $10-$20 the pop a small hole and put a cinch cord around inside the hem. I put 2 doe antelope in one and we used 3 for a large muley buck.

If you use your smarts, you'll be done with antelope in a day or two. Then you can go where-ever you want for a longer mule deer hunt. Don't force yourself to do an adjacent general area. You can shoot the goat and then drive west 4 or 5 hours and get into more land access for a week of hunting deer.

FLS

WKR
Did a similar WY mule/ deer antelope trip last year then drove to CO and hunted first rifle. I filled my WY tags but couldn’t close the deal in CO. 5300 miles on the Chevy by the time I got back to SC. I had a blast. I’ll do it again this year if I draw. Your 25-06 is about perfect IMO.

OP
M

Mosster47

Lil-Rokslider
Did a similar WY mule/ deer antelope trip last year then drove to CO and hunted first rifle. I filled my WY tags but couldn’t close the deal in CO. 5300 miles on the Chevy by the time I got back to SC. I had a blast. I’ll do it again this year if I draw. Your 25-06 is about perfect IMO.
That's an awesome trip! That would have required a hell of a lot of cooler space if you would have bagged an elk as well.

I just finished getting everything together and bedding my 25-06. It's ready to rumble.
20200311_204254_HDR.jpg

NUGGET

WKR
Good luck! Are you planning on putting in for some doe tags too?

I’m headed down in October for elk and am planning on getting a couple additional doe/fawn antelope tags to really bring home some meat.

Have fun and enjoy the Western plains!
My one lone suggestion is buy a entry level, aluminum trekking pole set from REI. I hike with one pole in my left hand, the nice thing is quickly being able to drop to one knee and use the pole as your rifle rest. For longer shots, your going to have time to setup prone over your pack.