2020 Wyoming Unit 23 Opinions on this Hunt

I have 11 points and have been waiting for Unit 63 but with the creep it seems I will never get there as it is creeping 2 points a year, and it looks like you need 13 this time around. So I am thinking about Unit 23. Anyone have experiences here that they would like to share or opinions on this hunt? I would prolly try an archery hunt mid September and follow with a rifle hunt if unsuccessful.

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
I've hunted it, but I drew with 3 points not 11. When I hunted it, the little archery pressure there was had already pushed a lot of the elk onto private. If I lived in Casper and could hunt it archery and then 2 months rifle it might be worth it. As a NR I would not use 11 points on it. There are better options.

OP
Cirlin Crowe
Thanks for the input, every little bit helps. Feeling a bit hung out in limbo land waiting for a good unit and not hunting Wyoming.

OP
Cirlin Crowe
Thanks for the input, will continue my search, I saw the checkerboard on the ownership map.

Jimss

WKR
As mentioned above there are quite a few chunks of scattered private that limit access and there is a large ranch in the center of the unit where elk tend to congregate when pressured by hunters. The elk tend to know the property lines and are often on the wrong side of the fence. There were 375 cow tags available in 2019. That is a heck of a lot of tags in such a small unit with limited amount of public land where the elk tend to hang out. Be prepared for WWIII when the rifle season first opens. Elk heading directly to the private ranch on opening morning of rifle season with loads of trucks running up and down roads! 23 is close to Casper so an easy drive for residents.

I’m about to drop 9 points on a 6-7 pt area, send me a PM I’ll share my info if you’re interested.

OP
Cirlin Crowe
I’m about to drop 9 points on a 6-7 pt area, send me a PM I’ll share my info if you’re interested.
Hi there, I believe this is private now. I lived and hunted Wyoming 30 years back and now live in N Idaho. I was looking for a unit with good opportunities for a decent bull. My brother also has 11 pts, we were thinking of maybe applying for 1 tag, and have one of us just assist the other. Any info would be helpful. I realize the Bighorns have options for the amount of points I have. Don't know that country either. I hunt archery almost every year in ID and /or Co, occasionally MT.
Thanks

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
You guys are overthinking it a bit. I know it's a lot of points, but all the info you need is on the WY fish and game site. If you look at harvest stats, public land, season dates and points to draw it's easy to see what sort of opportunity you will have. There really are no real big secrets. If a unit has good stats and you put in just marginal effort, you'll have a good hunt. If you're looking for some hidden gem to put in little effort, good luck.

These bulls took 2 points and some legwork.

Attachments

• wyelk3.jpg
    wyelk3.jpg
    536.7 KB · Views: 76
Hi there, I believe this is private now. I lived and hunted Wyoming 30 years back and now live in N Idaho. I was looking for a unit with good opportunities for a decent bull. My brother also has 11 pts, we were thinking of maybe applying for 1 tag, and have one of us just assist the other. Any info would be helpful. I realize the Bighorns have options for the amount of points I have. Don't know that country either. I hunt archery almost every year in ID and /or Co, occasionally MT.
Thanks

Not private. You need to send a PM to be private.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk