2021 2B Early Rifle Deer Tag

ClayB23

FNG
Just found out I drew the early 2B rifle deer tag (Oct 23-27) for this year. I plan on doing tons of e-scouting and going out a few days early to scout before the hunt. I know it’s not going to be as good as the late rifle/bow hunts but if anyone has any tips or info about this unit during the end of October it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

meta_gabbro

Lil-Rokslider
Judging by the short season I'm guessing you're talking about NM. In my experience October can be rough up in those units, since the rut is still ramping up, but there are plenty of animals. I know everyone says "just find water," but it's been insanely dry here this year so that's probably going to be more critical than usual (though we could also get a bumper year for monsoons, so keep that in mind). Don't be afraid to hunt around the oil fields either; there are plenty of pockets between developed areas that'll hold animals, and they tend to be a little less skittish.

OP
ClayB23

ClayB23

FNG
YJudging by the short season I'm guessing you're talking about NM. In my experience October can be rough up in those units, since the rut is still ramping up, but there are plenty of animals. I know everyone says "just find water," but it's been insanely dry here this year so that's probably going to be more critical than usual (though we could also get a bumper year for monsoons, so keep that in mind). Don't be afraid to hunt around the oil fields either; there are plenty of pockets between developed areas that'll hold animals, and they tend to be a little less skittish.
Yeah sorry I totally forgot to put the state, oops lol. It is New Mexico, just drew the tag this morning. Appreciate the help man. Do you know if any of the oil roads on BLM land are accessible by vehicle?

meta_gabbro

Lil-Rokslider
It gets a little tricky up there. Current common practice is that the BLM requires public access on easements put in for oil development, so most of the recent development up there will have open roads. A few of the older easements did NOT have open-access stipulations, and might be gated. Gonna be kinda hit-or-miss, but more are open than closed.

And just throwing it out there, shooting from the road or easements (including the well pads themselves) is illegal. Shouldn't need to be said, but the number of chucklefucks who do it anyway is staggering.

Last edited:
OP
ClayB23

ClayB23

FNG
It gets a little tricky up there. Current common practice is that the BLM requires public access on easements put in for oil development, so most of the recent development up there will have open roads. A few of the older easements did NOT have open-access stipulations, and might be gated. Gonna be kinda hit-or-miss, but more are open than closed.

And just throwing it out there, shooting from the road or easements (including the well pads themselves) is illegal. Shouldn't need to be said, but the number of chuckefucks who do it anyway is staggering.
Again man thanks for the info. I started mule deer hunting last year and struck out in Colorado rifle and Arizona OTC archery. I’ve thought about hiring a guide for this hunt just so I have a better shot at getting a buck. I just don’t want to come home empty handed again lol. I’m hoping if I work hard enough I can get a nice one in 2b

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
You just started mule deer hunting last year and you put in for one of the most highly coveted tags in the west and drew. Grab a lottery ticket next. So no knowledge of trophy mule deer hunting in a trophy OIL unit you should def hire a guide as it won’t be easy to say the least locating one that time of year down there.

Congrats on the tag. I wouldn’t call this early hunt a dream tag but at least you have first crack at the resident bucks and there are some big ones in this unit. The hunts following have a lot more tags. What makes this unit great is the migration of deer out of Colorado and the rut. Neither of which happen in October. Still the chance to kill a whopper resident buck. Water is not an issue in this unit. Navajo lake basically divides the unit and you might consider using a boat to access some of the more remote areas, especially if it is a dry fall.
A guide who knows the area well will have these resident bucks located - may be an option if it is in the budget. I hunted it twice during the January archery season. Lots of roads and the more that are closed the better. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ClayB23

ClayB23

FNG
I’ve been looking into outfitters but haven’t got any calls back from them. Do you guys have any recommendations for guides in NW New Mexico?

Buck197

WKR
I’ve been looking into outfitters but haven’t got any calls back from them. Do you guys have any recommendations for guides in NW New Mexico?
isn't Big Chino pretty big not just in the Gila, but in 2b and c for muleys?

OP
ClayB23

ClayB23

FNG
II may be thinking of wrong one..Darnit looked and spoke w one out there 3 or 4 yrs ago, let me see if I can find it..
Appreciate it man. If you can’t find it man no big deal. I’m going to make a bunch of phone calls tomorrow and try to find a good outifitter. Super pumped about this hunt though!

Buck197

WKR
I've got
Appreciate it man. If you can’t find it man no big deal. I’m going to make a bunch of phone calls tomorrow and try to find a good outifitter. Super pumped about this hunt though!
it, was looking, haha in between elk on the show.im watching..Damned adhd, itll get you everytime..oh look squirrel. Just got to see the name itll come to me as I was going to play the draw game for 2b 2c while I was working in West Texas. Researched em, and I liked what I saw..but id imagine someone will know better too.

Buck197

WKR
H and A outfitter. Andy, spoke to, seemed like a good guy, research I did he seemed to be pretty solid.

OP
ClayB23

ClayB23

FNG
Forgot to post these pictures back in October. I ended up going with Hampton Trophy Outfitters and shot this buck the first morning of the hunt. Couldn’t be happier with my first muley. He ended up measuring 27.5” wide. Thanks for everyone’s help on here!

Attachments

• 78D48B17-FD9D-426D-92EB-0515F8C00A1E.jpeg
    78D48B17-FD9D-426D-92EB-0515F8C00A1E.jpeg
    453.2 KB · Views: 50
  • A7985F60-5F83-4608-AAF0-58F20E586731.jpeg
    A7985F60-5F83-4608-AAF0-58F20E586731.jpeg
    289.2 KB · Views: 49