2021 AK haul road and caribou report

Was going to go today till next weekend but the weather has said other wise. Anyone getting back? I imagine it’s pretty nasty up there.

AKarchery

FNG
I have been up there the past three weekends. Not many caribou around compared to this time last year, but there are some and if you are patient you'll get a chance. I wish people knew not to interrupt other peoples stalks, but it continues to happen. If you see caribou from the road, near the road, etc. and there is a truck already parked there... just keep driving instead of messing it up for them.

Another Tip.. if there are (and there were) 1000 caribou 2 miles off the road, or more and they are slowly feeding/walking towards the road, don't run out there after them cause it'll just turn them around instead of all of them coming right to you...

I saw several dead bulls in peoples camp this past weekend, so they are around.

I got this one on Saturday morning in one of my favorite places to stalk caribou up there. 10 yard shot after a really fun stalk. View attachment 315019
I think I was up at the same time. There was one stretch of road that kept holding caribou and I couldn’t believe the amount of vehicles in that 2 mile stretch of road. Probably 15 hunters for maybe 3 bulls.

I have been up there the past three weekends. Not many caribou around compared to this time last year, but there are some and if you are patient you'll get a chance. I wish people knew not to interrupt other peoples stalks, but it continues to happen. If you see caribou from the road, near the road, etc. and there is a truck already parked there... just keep driving instead of messing it up for them.

Another Tip.. if there are (and there were) 1000 caribou 2 miles off the road, or more and they are slowly feeding/walking towards the road, don't run out there after them cause it'll just turn them around instead of all of them coming right to you...

I saw several dead bulls in peoples camp this past weekend, so they are around.

I got this one on Saturday morning in one of my favorite places to stalk caribou up there. 10 yard shot after a really fun stalk. View attachment 315019
Desperation leads to poor hunting ethics. Nice bull!

Nice job Nick!

Here’s another picture of one that my son got a couple weekends ago.
979a4187cc67ef1f06108c818c5ba39c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bmrfish

WKR
Nice job Nick!

Here’s another picture of one that my son got a couple weekends ago.
979a4187cc67ef1f06108c818c5ba39c.jpg

White manes, blue skies, snow on the ground and a radio collar. Life is good

I just booked a trip for early September 2022. What learnings or tips do you guys have for someone who has not gone on this hunt before? Preparation, Previsioning, does or don'ts during the trip? What shot distances should we train for, 60-100 yards? Still very confused by how long it takes someone in average shape to get out to the 5 mile rifle mark and is it worth it. Any input would be great.

EPS

FNG
I just booked a trip for early September 2022. What learnings or tips do you guys have for someone who has not gone on this hunt before? Preparation, Previsioning, does or don'ts during the trip? What shot distances should we train for, 60-100 yards? Still very confused by how long it takes someone in average shape to get out to the 5 mile rifle mark and is it worth it. Any input would be great.
With what we experienced, hunting near the road was just too competitive this year. I imagine during a season with good numbers it could be different. I always practice to 100-110 normally anyway but ethically wouldn't take over a 60-70 shot on an animal and that is pushing it. These are the twitchiest tweaking critters I've ever seen (bugs) There is a very slim to none chance an arrow is making it before it moves on those long shots. Can it be done..... sure, but the chance of wounding is high.

I'm in excellent shape and an avid archery big game hunter and run trail races for fun. That being said, tundra just sucks. With a moderate day pack, I averaged 1.2 MPH and with a healthy sweat at that. With a spike camp, it would be much slower with rest stops. Without trekking poles, plan to fall down.... it's gonna happen. As far as "is it worth it" I think so, we saw more and more the further away we got from the road, we just didn't have any time left to make a decent push out there. Our transporter for the river portion of our trip had pre-warned us that the caribou in the last few years have seem to adapted to avoiding the roads and rivers unless passing through possibly because of the increase in human activity.

I'll probably get flak for this but having high end clothing, while not a "must" it sure makes it more comfortable. Rain gear is something to not go cheap on, plan on wearing it at least once a day and possibly several days in a row. I wore gators every day, you will be in wetness mid-shin to knees at almost all times. I wear Kuiu, and the axis hybrids and talus pants were perfect with enough stretch in the legs for the tundra walking and side vents to cool you down while moving. My boots are the kennetrek mountain extremes, full height and with the gators, kept my feet dry the whole time. I use merino base layers and add and remove depending on my activity level.

With what we experienced, hunting near the road was just too competitive this year. I imagine during a season with good numbers it could be different. I always practice to 100-110 normally anyway but ethically wouldn't take over a 60-70 shot on an animal and that is pushing it. These are the twitchiest tweaking critters I've ever seen (bugs) There is a very slim to none chance an arrow is making it before it moves on those long shots. Can it be done..... sure, but the chance of wounding is high.

I'm in excellent shape and an avid archery big game hunter and run trail races for fun. That being said, tundra just sucks. With a moderate day pack, I averaged 1.2 MPH and with a healthy sweat at that. With a spike camp, it would be much slower with rest stops. Without trekking poles, plan to fall down.... it's gonna happen. As far as "is it worth it" I think so, we saw more and more the further away we got from the road, we just didn't have any time left to make a decent push out there. Our transporter for the river portion of our trip had pre-warned us that the caribou in the last few years have seem to adapted to avoiding the roads and rivers unless passing through possibly because of the increase in human activity.

I'll probably get flak for this but having high end clothing, while not a "must" it sure makes it more comfortable. Rain gear is something to not go cheap on, plan on wearing it at least once a day and possibly several days in a row. I wore gators every day, you will be in wetness mid-shin to knees at almost all times. I wear Kuiu, and the axis hybrids and talus pants were perfect with enough stretch in the legs for the tundra walking and side vents to cool you down while moving. My boots are the kennetrek mountain extremes, full height and with the gators, kept my feet dry the whole time. I use merino base layers and add and remove depending on my activity level.
Very helpful thanks. Do you have recommendation for what workouts I should be doing now. I used to be in great shape but with kids and life have slipped a bit. That is one of the motivators behind this trip. I want to start getting in shape hard now so I can get the most out of this trip. Thanks for the help.

Also I have the Kuiu frame pack 3600 and am going to buy a larger bag for it. Do you have a recommendation on a size? 6000 or 7000?

EPS

FNG
Very helpful thanks. Do you have recommendation for what workouts I should be doing now. I used to be in great shape but with kids and life have slipped a bit. That is one of the motivators behind this trip. I want to start getting in shape hard now so I can get the most out of this trip. Thanks for the help.
I've thought about how to exercise for tundra and it's an odd thing. Possibly an elliptical machine with your pack on and then a resistance band around your ankles.

It's endless clumps of grass (tussocks) that are ankle to mid shin high, swampy/squishy between them but when you step on a clump there is a 98% chance it's going to roll over right when you put your full weight on it. Stepping around them is non stop zig zagging your legs at the hip joints with the resistance of the grass dragging on your boots. It's wet swampy everywhere even on the slopes and tops of the hills

It "looks" completely easy from the road, terrain is just gentle rolling hills but only takes a few steps off the road to realize it's going to be a slog.

I prefer larger backpack bags myself and just compress down the extra space if not needed.

I've thought about how to exercise for tundra and it's an odd thing. Possibly an elliptical machine with your pack on and then a resistance band around your ankles.

It's endless clumps of grass (tussocks) that are ankle to mid shin high, swampy/squishy between them but when you step on a clump there is a 98% chance it's going to roll over right when you put your full weight on it. Stepping around them is non stop zig zagging your legs at the hip joints with the resistance of the grass dragging on your boots. It's wet swampy everywhere even on the slopes and tops of the hills

It "looks" completely easy from the road, terrain is just gentle rolling hills but only takes a few steps off the road to realize it's going to be a slog.

I prefer larger backpack bags myself and just compress down the extra space if not needed.
Ok great. Really appreciate the help. Thanks.

BowMan86

FNG
Three of us went up in Sept and did the 5 mile march out. After getting out there and spending the first few days killing ourselves in that tundra we decided that we would only shoot one caribou and be done with it. We were mostly seeing cows and the only bulls were a long ways off. We finally had a group of three younger bulls come in on what we decided would be out last day. Well after the first bull fell, I guess we got caught up in the excitement and in a matter of 15 seconds we had three bulls down. Of course, afterwards, while quartering them up we had 4 nice bulls come in and stare at us at 50 yards. No way we were taking anymore though. It was a rough trip out and took us two trips out and back all together but the memories were well worth it. We had a great time! Crazy weather too!

Attachments

• 68B5C002-3E7E-4D57-A50C-BE00F426BE91.jpeg
    68B5C002-3E7E-4D57-A50C-BE00F426BE91.jpeg
    344.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 0AF5D6F6-000D-405A-A3B3-6D733F915E36.jpeg
    0AF5D6F6-000D-405A-A3B3-6D733F915E36.jpeg
    271 KB · Views: 57
  • 6663C703-4D6A-45AD-B37B-66895A4E00EB.jpeg
    6663C703-4D6A-45AD-B37B-66895A4E00EB.jpeg
    530.5 KB · Views: 56
  • F0FD97B4-B3BD-4AF4-80F6-73432DD17325.jpeg
    F0FD97B4-B3BD-4AF4-80F6-73432DD17325.jpeg