2021 AK moose hunt... Very excited.

Good evening,

This site has popped up repeatedly as I've been doing very prelim research. Happy to be one of your newest members!

A buddy and I have committed ourselves to Alaska moose hunt in late Sept of 2021. Ten days afield is the plan with a few extra days on front end for wx allowance if need be.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself. We aren't yet sure if we are going float trip or drop hunt. I'm inclined to go base camp.

Between the two of use we have 8 or 10 books on order. They will all be read over and over and then he and I will meet up and do this thing. Very very excited.

Look forward to asking for help and contributing where / when I can in this learning process.

PH80

Thess87

WKR
Welcome. I as well have a 21 moose booked. Long wait but my transporter was full till then

VernAK

WKR
Welcome!
You are starting out right as the demand is greater than the supply of reputable outftters and flight service.

Where's home?

OP
P
Home is Panama City, FL... Or I guess I should say, what's left of it after hurricane Michael. Wicked damn storm.

Yeah, trying to figure out reputable vs not-so-much has proven a bit challenging. We are leaning towards drop camp, and I'd sure hate to land where a group has just been picked up.

I've talked to one guy who is booked through 2023, another guy said to reach back out end of this calendar year for 2021, and a third (who came recommended by first) who has not yet responded. I'm ready to give deposit as soon as we figure out who we are using and what type of hunt.

Books on order should start showing up today. Excited to start reading up. Past 10 days or so of research has already taught us a lot, but still a ton to learn. Id like to have a plan for as many predictable scenarios as possible. Of course improvising will be a necessary part of trip, but I sure want to minimize as much of it as we can.

RedFox67

FNG
Going to follow as I’m planning a float trip with my wife 2022/ 2023. Looking at the East Fork of the Dennison or the middle of the fortymile.

keller

WKR
congrats on making the commitment .I have done the research and have had 2 partners ready to commit only to have them back out when it came time to pay the deposit.i would say allow more days if possible last year I spent 6 weeks in Alaska.fish ,hunt,fish,camp.i drove up so that's 5 days each way but well worth it. best of luck on your plans.

Exciting times for sure! Congrats on setting a date, I think that’s the hardest part of planning, just committing to doing it! Your next couple Years will be fun and stressful for planning but you have plenty of time so you should be just fine. I started planning 2 years ago but now the 2020 season is less than a year and a half away... It comes up fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReinsuranceShooter

Lil-Rokslider
My brother and I committed about 2 weeks ago to a 2021 also late September. Told my wife that I can spread the gear build over 2.5 years. She asked me yesterday if I needed any more after I placed another order 😂. So stoked about it but I definitely need to pace myself... but it is like a whole new excuse to invest ... for safety purposes right. I will be watching and sharing on this string.

OP
P
I have yet to line up a planner... Which is my biggest stressor. Guy I thought I really wanted is out until 2023 (EDIT: for spelling). Have yet to hear back from one. Another one said to get up with him this Dec for a 2021 hunt... Which I found a bit odd. Those of you who recently booked, id love to hear who you went with, why and what your expectations are in terms of challenges and what you'd consider success. I have ZERO desire to turn this thread into a so-and-so is reputable and so-and-so is a crook. That being said, maybe just PM that info... If you're so inclined.

Last edited:
OP
P
Giggity, giggity....

And the prep fun is just beginning.

Attachments

• IMG_20190406_064346112.jpg
    IMG_20190406_064346112.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 71
Congrats! Planning and anticipation is half the fun. You will get lots of valuable info from these forums. I would also watch every Ak moose hunt video on youtube. I picked up lots of terrain, camp and gear tidbits watching them.... Good luck!

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
I just sent my 2021 deposit to a transporter as well. I have three friends that I've hunted with before that are "seriously considering" going with me. When I called the transporter and told him I was in, but did not have my friends firmed up yet he said "book it and worry about them later". My kind of guy. I love hunting with friends, but I love hunting by myself too. I'm sure I'll get a taker evenually - but waiting on friends is something I quit doing 25 years ago. I waited on a friend to open a business for two years. Finally got tired of waiting and started it myself. He now works for the business I started. 2 years ago my friend had a back problem and couldn't go archery elk hunting ith me. I loaded up my car and went by myself. Guess what? I shot a 4 x 4, hauled it all back to the car myself (4 miles from the trail head) and had a complete blast. My toe nails have almost recovered 1.5 years later :).

I realize a moose is a huge animal and make an elk look small. I shot a moose in Alaska back in 2006 and found out first hand how difficult it is to quarter and haul moose meat. Going by myslef is a last resort - but i will go if none of my friends are able to make it. It will require additional planning and gear - but I am confident in my ability to make it work out. Can't wait to go! Alaska is a majestic, unforgiving place!

OP
P
Way to go on the research! Props for the quagmire response.

Love me some Family Guy. As I type this on my couch I'm 200 yards from a boat ramp. Love nothing more than the episode with the trailer backing up again.. again... again... etc. Anyway, we'll occasionally pour a drink and walk a few paces and watch it in real life.

We still aren't booked, BTW. I'm ready to start buying gear, as is my hunting partner.

OP
P
Wife just said there's a different set of books she'd rather I focus on. Not sure what she's talking about!

Fished in some rather soupy conditions yesterday in little boat during a for-fun ladies neighborhood tournament. She won it again second time in a row. A shame I lost my big boat in storm back in Oct, but Dad and I went 2 for 3, which I guess is good. Hate loosing boat of 20 years and 5,500 hrs though.

IMG_20190407_074139103.jpgIMG_20190406_070239888.jpgScreenshot_20190406-210806.pngScreenshot_20190406-210723.png

ReinsuranceShooter

Lil-Rokslider
Best part of waiting 2+ years... haunting craigslist for Simms G3’s, rain gear on Camofire and all the trips to rei/outfitters stores and sites for gear! Wife is gonna shoot me before I ever shoot a moose.