2021 AK moose hunt... Very excited.

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
Wife just said there's a different set of books she'd rather I focus on. Not sure what she's talking about!

Fished in some rather soupy conditions yesterday in little boat during a for-fun ladies neighborhood tournament. She won it again second time in a row. A shame I lost my big boat in storm back in Oct, but Dad and I went 2 for 3, which I guess is good. Hate loosing boat of 20 years and 5,500 hrs though.

View attachment 94945View attachment 94946View attachment 94947View attachment 94948
Your a lucky man! A women who can fish and give you kids! My best hunting buddy is my son. Best of luck with everything!

FSUHUNTER

FNG
Panhandler 80...i'm just south of you in Orlando. I'm going to NF this year for a moose hunt and then have my sites on ak for 2020 or 2021. I've called several transporters up there, as well as 3 friends that live in anchorage, and i still can't make a decision on who to use. NF is a fully guided trophy hunt, and therefore i want to do AK DIY like i do all my other western hunts. I've done my analysis on gmu's an narrowed it down to 3. Then it become's really hard. Unit 18 has highest NR success rate, however there are only a handful of transporters there and they seem to all cost $6k-8k f. At that price, I might as well do another fully guided NF trophy hunt, or an elk hunt in the lower 48 (neither of which i'm not interested in and typically don't do guided hunts). So that leaves me the other two gmu's, and I've called several transporters in those units, but they're still $4-5k. I've tried asking some locals on recommendations, but nothing's come back yet. I've also even considered not using a bush plane and hunting out of anchorage to a unit i can drive to. So i'm just curious on how you chose. I'm sure you may not want to put everything out here, so can you pm me or send me your contact info. Maybe i can help with you with some of your prep for trip as i've had a lot of successful DIY trips in the western states. IMO a large determinant of success is how much effort you put into your analysis and planning (maps, GE, harvest stats, etc.), and by looking at the books you've ordered, you're on track.

FSUHUNTER

FNG
Also, if anyone out there has a trip planned but someone dropped out and you need a fill in, please pm me.

FSUHUNTER

FNG
Panhandler 80...i'm just south of you in Orlando. I'm going to NF this year for a moose hunt and then have my sites on ak for 2020 or 2021. I've called several transporters up there, as well as 3 friends that live in anchorage, and i still can't make a decision on who to use. NF is a fully guided trophy hunt, and therefore i want to do AK DIY like i do all my other western hunts. I've done my analysis on gmu's an narrowed it down to 3. Then it become's really hard. Unit 18 has highest NR success rate, however there are only a handful of transporters there and they seem to all cost $6k-8k f. At that price, I might as well do another fully guided NF trophy hunt, or an elk hunt in the lower 48 (neither of which i'm not interested in and typically don't do guided hunts). So that leaves me the other two gmu's, and I've called several transporters in those units, but they're still $4-5k. I've tried asking some locals on recommendations, but nothing's come back yet. I've also even considered not using a bush plane and hunting out of anchorage to a unit i can drive to. So i'm just curious on how you chose. I'm sure you may not want to put everything out here, so can you pm me or send me your contact info. Maybe i can help with you with some of your prep for trip as i've had a lot of successful DIY trips in the western states. IMO a large determinant of success is how much effort you put into your analysis and planning (maps, GE, harvest stats, etc.), and by looking at the books you've ordered, you're on track.
As an update...called a guy yesterday and i'm pretty sure i've found my pilot...meets all the criteria, especially the price, and an added bonus is a friend who lives up there asked around and the responses where that this guy is as good as you're going to get.

OP
P
As an update...called a guy yesterday and i'm pretty sure i've found my pilot...meets all the criteria, especially the price, and an added bonus is a friend who lives up there asked around and the responses where that this guy is as good as you're going to get.

PM sent.

As a precursor to my fly in-float out Brooks Range hunt I went to Canada. I had never hunted moose before and wanted to get the white stripe off my back before spending the big money (Canadian moose are cheap by comparison but the antlers are smaller). Went to full draw at ten feet...damn thing nearly stepped on me. Enjoy the prep and planning.

rope

FNG
Going to follow as I’m planning a float trip with my wife 2022/ 2023. Looking at the East Fork of the Dennison or the middle of the fortymile.
That's a tough trip, some good rapids on the 40 mile class 4-5 200 yards up river from Taylor. There is a lot of traffic on those rivers, and the surrounding area, it gets hit hard, by wheelers, jet boats and hovercraft, planes. You definitely will not be alone on those 2 rivers. But timing is everything, good luck on you hunt.

Check out Alaska monster moose out of holy cross. Used to live in the village and the tribal corporation started this company. Possibly best hunting in the state and very little pressure. It’s in unit 21

OP
P
Of those books did you find any to be really informative, ones that you would recommend?

I have skimmed through sections I've been most curious about (for now), which are pretty much limited to actual hunting approach:. Moose behavior, when to do what, overarching strategy, pitfalls, etc. A lot of what I have read has been somewhat common sense, but always good to be reminded of. Then I have found little nuggets here and there that are also common sense, but things I'd have never considered before afield. Unfortunately, I can't remember what nugget I picked up where, or even the content of Nugget.

It can't hurt to read as much as you can. It's nice to have swirling opinions and facts in head. I'm hoping to eventually have an overall feel for things from literature and first hand accounts.... Then go hit it hard and let the research supplement basic instinct and facts / skills squired afield.

Check out Alaska monster moose out of holy cross. Used to live in the village and the tribal corporation started this company. Possibly best hunting in the state and very little pressure. It’s in unit 21

Rumor has is they sent an email out to everyone a few weeks ago and canceled all hunts. Sound like the tribal Corp shut it down. Based on everything I’ve read, and trying to coordinate a project with them on my last job a couple years ago, Deloycheet is a gong show.

Rumor has is they sent an email out to everyone a few weeks ago and canceled all hunts. Sound like the tribal Corp shut it down. Based on everything I’ve read, and trying to coordinate a project with them on my last job a couple years ago, Deloycheet is a gong show.
Interesting. Ill drop a text off to some friends and find out for sure. I’m sure there had to have been some political issues with the business.

Bmagee

Lil-Rokslider
That's awesome! We are booked for 2022 and I find myself doing research for that trip all the time. Reading, watching videos and comparing knowledge on forums like this helps pass the time and prepare mentally. We have decided to allow the entire season to maximize our opportunity (fire station won't miss us). Goo luck gathering all your gear and getting yourself ready!

I talked with a member of the tribal community. The current board of directors did suspend all hunts for the upcoming year. Should be back up and running though for 2020.

Best part of waiting 2+ years... haunting craigslist for Simms G3’s, rain gear on Camofire and all the trips to rei/outfitters stores and sites for gear! Wife is gonna shoot me before I ever shoot a moose.

Been stocking up gear for 11 day trip (flown out of Delta Junction) after Caribou..
Answering the question, “Did you need an $1800 tent.” Has been the highlight so far...