2021 Antelope Hunting Success Stories

Hi everyone, new member here. Found this thread and wanted to share my SD archery antelope from late September this year. I was on walk in access (state leases hunting rights from active agriculture businesses,) and saw this guy bed down behind a broken up straw bale. It was breezy but not terrible, and it was 90* out that afternoon. Using his concealment and a dip in the rolling hills, I was able to sneak in to ~29 yards safely, and waited for him to stand up. Heart pounding, as all I could see were the horns at this point, and this was my first goat hunt. He was quartered towards upon standing and my shot was a bit lower than expected, but he fell over dead after the trypan found his heart! I got very lucky that this situation played out, as the other groups of goats I had seen were all does, and I had already worked one excruciatingly slow 80 yard stalk on a group earlier that day. Sometimes better to be lucky!

Cheers,
Mike

pxl_20210925_231142781-jpg.342088

20210925005005_IMG_6863.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20210925_231142781.jpg
    PXL_20210925_231142781.jpg
    611 KB · Views: 234
I had my first ever antelope tag this year and it was in Colorado. I shot the 3rd buck that I had an opportunity on opening day at about noon. Early in the morning I located a really good buck and 4 does that I had seen the week before when scouting. I had a good rock outcrop to sneak up behind and pop over the top to give me about a 250 yard shot. I was prone and on the bipod but there was a pair of hunters approaching from opposite me. They were not directly opposite of the line of my shot but I still wasn't comfortable with it. Plus it looked like a guy and a youngster approaching, they obviously were coming to check the same draw I was set up over and I didn't want to shoot one right out from under them. They wound up bumping them and they ran off without anyone firing a shot. Next encounter I had some that saw us and went over a small rise. I ran about a half mile to get to that point and they were about 300 yards on the other side and feeding. I took a shot and clean missed a buck. I rushed it and didn't take the time to settle myself down after running for a few minutes. Third time's a charm tho. I went after a group and sent the GF around to the other side of the property in my truck to try and keep them from leaking over that way too far. We wound up bumping the ones I'd seen and didn't get a shot off so I was standing and walking toward the truck (about a mile away at this point) and all of a sudden a doe and a small-ish buck popped over this rise at something under 50 yards. I hit my belly and they came in all curious. They came to about 30 yards and I shot him. Coulda done it with a bow! Great first experience though, already trying to figure out where I can go on another antelope hunt next year. It was also my GF's first time on a hunt where something died. She has been out with me for a couple days here and there for archery elk and had some close encounters but first animal we ever took apart together, then butchered and wrapped it together the next day. 7EABCABB-9740-42E3-B981-ECDB9FFA1467_1_105_c.jpeg