2021 Arizona Desert Bighorn; Lefty the Miracle Ram

OP
Steve O

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Update; my taxidermist is awesome. Sheep and Big 5 move to the front of the line. I decided before my hunt if I was fortunate enough to take a ram, I would get some reproduction horns made for the mount and keep the real horns on the skull so people could actually hold them in their hands and get a true appreciation of what they are made of. There is nothing quite as impressive as a set of ram’s horns. They are heavy, and each chip, crack, and contour tells a story. He’s making great progress. Mold will be made shortly!

F5780994-C1AA-4D51-AB21-42F415742CC7.jpeg

00710C6C-821D-4265-A5CA-F4162B67E8E8.jpeg

OP
Steve O

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I am so glad I got the reproduction horns done for the mount and have the real skull and horns done as a euro. Getting to hold and study those horns is worth every penny. Such a story they tell. I’m amazed at what those rams go thru to breed. Lefty’s nose is all twisted up and is broken in multiple places.

I will never tire of handing that skull to someone to hold. Their reaction to the weight is priceless.

2630211A-B056-402C-B87D-DB77E122F495.jpeg

45FA652D-44FB-42A4-8772-612B34735D7F.jpeg

71CF46BF-2204-4EF3-B41C-D86DC491BFD6.jpeg

AB4C87EB-CA88-4FEA-886D-3DE6A7757B8A.jpeg

OP
Steve O

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
What a warrior! I hope I get a chance to heft those babies.
Sadly our circles do not cross as often as they used to but I’m sure we will run into each other at some point. I’ll look forward to it.

OP
Steve O

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I got some great news today and it reminded me I am delinquent on some final thoughts.

The aging data came back from Matson Labs on Lefty’s tooth. With a Certainty Code of “A” he was 11 years old. That puts a big ol’ cherry on the top of this great sundae. What a life he led and what a treasure he is.

I hope anyone who reads this understands hunting is not just a hobby to me. It is part of my character and soul. I would be lost without it. Arizona cards are being hit now for deer and sheep. I’m content to wait and see what my portals says whenever it is updated. No checking my credit card every spare moment. I will do all I can to make the best decisions for me and my family when applying, but I clearly understand I’m not in total control of my destiny when it comes to my time in the mountains I love so much.

I will leave you with these:

Psalm 37:4-5 Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him, and he will act.

Proverbs 16:1-3 The plans of the heart belong to man, but the answer of the tongue is from the Lord. All the ways of a man are pure in his own eyes, but the Lord weighs the spirit. Commit your work to the Lord, and your plans will be established.

Put God and your family first, work for a good balance between that and your “passion”, be greatfull for your opportunities, and execute on those opportunities to the BEST of your abilities!

Last edited:

1uglydude

FNG
Thanks for sharing. Still waiting on my Arizona sheep tag, but the past few years I have had the privilege of helping on several sheep hunts. It gets in your blood.

So very happy for you Steve, congratulations on a fantastic adventure.

Hebrews 10:23 came to mind when you wrote about the morning after opening day.

"Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful."

azdowns

FNG
Awesome Ram congrats! My Dad drew a Desert Bighorn Sheep tag this year in AZ can't wait.