2021 B-Zone outlook

riversidejeep

Lil-Rokslider
My first post on this site, Hi all!
I went out and set camera's and do a little cruising around in the B-1, B-2, B-5 area that I've been hunting for the last 46 years. Most of my favorite spots burned to a crisp!, not like burn here and there and some green stuff in the draws but scorched earth type stuff. That said I drove a couple hundred miles of Forest Service roads just checking the banks for tracks etc. and I came up with about ZERO!.
There isn't any feed to speak of yet but I'm wondering what percentage of the wildlife survived the fires.
I have a feeling the areas that didn't burn last year will be drawing a lot of pressure . Would like opinions on wildlife survival during big time fires like we experienced last year.

Warmsy

WKR
Ah geez my secret spot is in B1! Haven't had a chance to get up there since the burn. Thanks for the update.

I don't have an educated opinion.

JNDEER

WKR
Animals have and will survive. They are resilient. However- that also means to survive they will have to relocate. To relocate means higher concentrations of bucks in smaller areas- especially considering how much of the landscape burnt to a crisp. Mile long canyons with literally nothing left.

my best guess for outlook is probably similar to what happened while back in northern A zone. The bucks were decimated for the first few years after the burn and those herds never recovered. Not to say your old honey holes won’t hold deer in the years to come- I am not holding my breathe the quality and quantity will be anything like it was before. JMO

I went and looked around b3 for a few hours this weekend. Life looked pretty bleak. I'm curious to see if anyone else is seeing deer or if I'm wasting my time here. I might go back and throw up some game cams in the following weekends. Any elses input would be greatly appreciated on general wildlife health after the fire.

jfs82

WKR
I was near the A/B border pretty recently on some public. I found a carcass and lots of ash very few tracks. Did not even see jacks and that spot normally has tons, all the brush had burned away and the ground cover starting up on those hillsides was just wild cucumber.

3pointer

Lil-Rokslider
It’s gona be a massacre when the tribes hit what pockets are left , I’ve seen some bucks but not in any numbers , poor deer are gona get wiped out between the hunters and lack of feed ,it’s going to be ugly , honestly wouldn’t have minded if they kept the burn closed another year, there will be bucks killed that have never seen people , now whether the heard will recover is going to be the real question , The way CA manages, more than likely not

Warmsy

WKR
Sounds like you're near me. What area was that?

I'm going near lake Pillsbury in 2 weeks. Will report my findings... Unless my spot is brimming with deer haha.

3pointer

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you're near me. What area was that?

I'm going near lake Pillsbury in 2 weeks. Will report my findings... Unless my spot is brimming with deer haha.
Pretty close to you , I was shed hunting

From my understanding those 3 year old Burn areas make for great hunting. May want to focus efforts around there. Also there is so many areas in B zone, may just be time to find some new spots. Maybe explore B2 area!

Just be aware that Sierra Pacific Industries has closed their land to recreation until further notice due to fire conditions. Weaverville has a lot of SPI surrounding it.
Yeah I’m looking to hunt the area above more the north northwest area that is not spi.
wondering if that is good elevation for an early October hunt etc.