2021 Bear Success Thread

SaltyBowman

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been blessed to kill quite a few good bears in NC, Saskatchewan and Alaska but my favorite bear to date was a big brown taken on the Alaska Peninsula. Unbelievable hunt I will never forget.

Attachments

• 7AC88B0D-5D71-4082-A7E0-62B03E39CFBE.png
    7AC88B0D-5D71-4082-A7E0-62B03E39CFBE.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 170

Blacktailaddiction

Lil-Rokslider
Very very very happy to be posting again here after my spring bear in may. I got this guy at 7 am this morning as he walked through a blackberry patch. I found this spot that’s right off a very well traveled road but you could never see it from the road so it’s perfect. It’s this big cliff with a solid patch of blackberries below it and I knew a bear was in there so I decided to sit on top of the cliff with a good view of the patch. Lo and behold 40 minutes into shooting light he wanders in and I stop him with a grunt and squeeze off a perfect shot. He goes 10 yards and death moans and then the fun really started as I had to get him out of there. I thought it was a color phase bear but it was just very rubbed on the back half. I’m guessing he’s in the 250-300 pound range and a very old boar. Very blessed and looking forward to eating him! Also shot a cow elk last week so it’s been a heck of a 2 weeks! Cool bears posted so far here good luck everyone!

Attachments

• BB5440E8-30DC-490A-9182-6149E48E4C7E.jpeg
    BB5440E8-30DC-490A-9182-6149E48E4C7E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 144
  • 10A2753E-8070-47A8-B614-3BB0777ECF32.jpeg
    10A2753E-8070-47A8-B614-3BB0777ECF32.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 144
Very very very happy to be posting again here after my spring bear in may. I got this guy at 7 am this morning as he walked through a blackberry patch. I found this spot that’s right off a very well traveled road but you could never see it from the road so it’s perfect. It’s this big cliff with a solid patch of blackberries below it and I knew a bear was in there so I decided to sit on top of the cliff with a good view of the patch. Lo and behold 40 minutes into shooting light he wanders in and I stop him with a grunt and squeeze off a perfect shot. He goes 10 yards and death moans and then the fun really started as I had to get him out of there. I thought it was a color phase bear but it was just very rubbed on the back half. I’m guessing he’s in the 250-300 pound range and a very old boar. Very blessed and looking forward to eating him! Also shot a cow elk last week so it’s been a heck of a 2 weeks! Cool bears posted so far here good luck everyone!
congrats!!

the biggest bodied bear i have killed was a similar scenario.... a big clearcut, at the bottom is a paved road, but you could see more than half of it from that paved road. to walk in there is just shy of 3 miles, and uphill the whole way.... why would anyone walk into a spot like that just to get to a cut that's right along a paved road?

while that spot was in it's good habitat stage, it was a gem of a spot.... nobody hunted it, it was an isolated food source that backed up to NF land, and it held game like crazy. the bottom of that cut was like a ladder of flat benches, there were 3 levels, and that's where everything hung out, and you couldn't see any of that from the road, even though it was really close to the road. one evening i watched 8 bucks in there feeding during spring bear... i found that big bear the year before while deer hunting, but i already had a big bear in the freezer, so i didn't want to kill him that year.... but i certainly planned on killing him, which i did.

that spot is long overgrown now, and probably the last 4-5yrs it was good i let my sis in law hunt it, i stayed out of there unless i was hunting with her. she killed a good bull in there with her bow, and a couple really good bucks..... once i took her to that spot the first time, she kinda claimed it, so i let her have it.... half of the fun is initially finding those places, and i'm not one to put too many of my eggs in one basket, so it wasn't a hard decision to me, and that was a perfect spot for her to beat up for a few years.

well done on the bear, and i bet there is a lot you took away from that scenario..... there will be other spots like that in the future that are too obvious for people to hunt, especially if access is a little difficult.... those spots can be really good

Hardly_Hangin

Lil-Rokslider
I was scouting last week and walked up on a GPS collar bear in a tree munchin on hickory nuts - he whuffed at me and scurried down. That was a rush - Im hoping to connect with my first this year, I've had 5 bear encounters in the past 4 seasons and have yet to seal the deal.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Got this one Saturday night. It’s right at 8 feet. I spotted it from about half a mile away and could tell it was a good bear. Big head, big hump sort of silver colored. Put on a stock and shot him at 75yds, he took off running and collapsed about 30 yds later.

Attachments

• F36401C0-B842-4B57-99F2-A7DCB574C082.jpeg
    F36401C0-B842-4B57-99F2-A7DCB574C082.jpeg
    542.2 KB · Views: 100
Finally broke my dry streak tonight. Alpine black bear munching blueberries. Was going after another one and came down a hill, looked to my right and there he was at 108yds. Amazing what a strong wind in your favor will do for you. Norma improved put a 245gr Berger in it and sealed the deal. Made it 10yds. I was debating going out this afternoon…goes to prove a day in the mountains is better than a day at work! Super happy with it, especially how it all went down. Blueberry fed bears makes good eating! F0C6ACAD-6611-4766-83B9-D1F223906BBC.jpeg3D069869-82C0-44B3-9078-AED9312264C6.jpeg